Interesting Nature Paper about Michael

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

Interesting Nature Paper about Michael

#1 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:45 am

So this paper is a month old, but I just found out about it today:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-18339-2

Apparently it argues that Tropical Storm Gordon (!) and a heat wave (!!) might be the reason Hurricane Michael rapidly intensified to a category 5 right before landfall. Gordon’s cool upwelling seems to also have swept the deeper cold water offshore, and the heat wave warmed the leftover cool surface water.

The authors argue this sort of compound event might be common in extreme weather phenomena. I’m mostly just shaking my head at how crazy connected everything is.
5 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

Re: Interesting Nature Paper about Michael

#2 Postby SconnieCane » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:54 am

Well it was pretty well known that a contributing factor to Michael's intensity was an unusual persistence of warm ridging over the southeast in late summer/fall 2018 had prevented the north Gulf SSTs from cooling like they normally would by that time of year.

The bit about Gordon is interesting since it flies in the face of what we usually think about multiple TCs passing over warm but shallow waters (the first causes upwelling and creates a cool wake that limits the intensity of the second).
4 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Interesting Nature Paper about Michael

#3 Postby AnnularCane » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:55 pm

I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but I at least somewhat recall reading that Dennis in 2005 actually warmed up the waters as he moved through the Caribbean. If true, I wonder if that may have helped with Emily becoming a Cat 5.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”