Area of disturbed weather entering the Caribbean (Is Invest 96L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

Area of disturbed weather entering the Caribbean (Is Invest 96L)

#1 Postby Ryxn » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:00 pm

Get ready for Eta, folks!
Last edited by Ryxn on Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:16 am, edited 15 times in total.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Tropical wave east of Lesser Antilles

#2 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:48 pm

0z GFS looks very similar to the 0z run from last night. Much weaker and much more north. Seems like the 0z run is the only one that gets the idea that a major in the east/central Caribbean coming in from the east from a wave in November is most likely not happening :lol:
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:21 am

Weather Dude wrote:0z GFS looks very similar to the 0z run from last night. Much weaker and much more north. Seems like the 0z run is the only one that gets the idea that a major in the east/central Caribbean coming in from the east from a wave in November is most likely not happening :lol:

Welp... Scratch the second part of that. 0z just a drunk as the others. Spins a second area off the main wave and then that one develops in the western Caribbean at the end of the run. Seriously, why run this thing out to 384 hours lol
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby Ryxn » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:29 am

And this thread still lives!
0 likes   

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Tropical disturbance to form next week in South-Central Caribbean

#5 Postby Ryxn » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:52 pm

How is model guidance at the moment?
0 likes   

Loveweather12
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Tropical system to possibly form next week in South-Central Caribbean

#6 Postby Loveweather12 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:57 pm

Is it true a storm might form in early November in the Caribbean?
Honestly, I have a feeling FL will feel a storm of some sorts before November 30.
I have not took my shutters down from isias
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:53 pm

Loveweather12 wrote:Is it true a storm might form in early November in the Caribbean?
Honestly, I have a feeling FL will feel a storm of some sorts before November 30.

It’s INSANE how lucky Florida has been this year. I along with many others on here were thinking we’d see an October threat similar to Irene in 1999 or Wilma. Not to mention the other two seasons that featured hyperactive level of storms had at least one hurricane threaten the peninsula.

I think it has something to do with the ever persistent SE ridge that has parked itself over The Bahamas and SW Atlantic. It saves us from arctic intrusions and seems to be saving us from any tropical threats coming from the Western Caribbean this season.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Loveweather12
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby Loveweather12 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:07 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Loveweather12 wrote:Is it true a storm might form in early November in the Caribbean?

It’s INSANE how lucky Florida has been this year. I along with many others on here were thinking we’d see an October threat similar to Irene in 1999 or Wilma. Not to mention the other two seasons that featured hyperactive level of storms had at least one hurricane threaten the peninsula.

I think it has something to do with the ever persistent SE ridge that has parked itself over The Bahamas and SW Atlantic. It saves us from arctic intrusions and seems to be saving us from any tropical threats coming from the Western Caribbean this season.

I know, I’m concerned that people are becoming complacent which isn’t good. But I can’t shake the feeling that FL will feel something this year. I may be wrong but I’m surprised the models are showing something that late in the season
0 likes   

Spacecoast
Category 2
Category 2

#9 Postby Spacecoast » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:22 pm

This seems to originate from clash between African wave, and Venezuela disturbance from the south.

A brief history of recent GFS landfalls for this system:
Thurs 12z: 938mb Cat 4 into Jamaica
Thurs 18z: 947mb Cat 3 into Nicaragua
Fri 0z: 990 mb Cat1 into New York City
Fri 6z: 990mb Cat 1 into Haiti
Fri 12z: 946mb Cat 3 into Cuba
Fri 18z: 988mb Cat 1 into Nicaragua
Sat 0z: 963mb Cat 3 into Cuba
Sat 0z: 959mb Cat 3 into /near Bermuda
Sat 18z 934mb Cat 4 into Jamaica
3 likes   

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Potential Early November Tropical Cyclone

#10 Postby Ryxn » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:29 pm

If a storm comes out for this, it would be named Eta which would be the first instance of the "name" and tie 2005 as the most active Atlantic Hurricane Season in terms of tropical storms. Three more TCs would need to form after this for 2020 to be the most active season in terms of tropical cyclones (which is currently held by 2005 with 31).
0 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby FireRat » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:30 pm

I swear, this October is acting like it were Late September in thw tropics with respect to the storm tracks and intensities. Delta comes to mind, and now possibly TD 28 doing a similar path into the northern GOM.

November might as well behave like a typical October if the trend continues. That modeled storm might not be as crazy as it sounds. Caribbean Islands and even peninsular Florida, who has lucked out this season as usual, should keep eyes on the tropics still despite being so late in the season. This year is basically an FU to climatology.
4 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby LarryWx » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:41 pm

FireRat wrote:I swear, this October is acting like it were Late September in thw tropics with respect to the storm tracks and intensities. Delta comes to mind, and now possibly TD 28 doing a similar path into the northern GOM.

November might as well behave like a typical October if the trend continues. That modeled storm might not be as crazy as it sounds. Caribbean Islands and even peninsular Florida, who has lucked out this season as usual, should keep eyes on the tropics still despite being so late in the season. This year is basically an FU to climatology.

Climo doesn't tell us where something will go. Rather, it is a tool that based on history tells us what the more and less common tracks have been in a general fashion. If something doesn't track fairly close to the more common tracks, it doesn't mean that climo has failed. Individual cases will largely be based on the overall pattern of the time.
Last edited by LarryWx on Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#13 Postby ClarCari » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:42 pm

Ryxn wrote:If a storm comes out for this, it would be named Eta which would be the first instance of the "name" and tie 2005 as the most active Atlantic Hurricane Season in terms of tropical storms. Three more TCs would need to form after this for 2020 to be the most active season in terms of tropical cyclones (which is currently held by 2005 with 31).

I’m curious if we have say 29 or 30 TC’s and names overall assuming TD 10 gets a post-upgrade, would that still make 2020 the most active?

FireRat wrote:I swear, this October is acting like it were Late September in the tropics with respect to the storm tracks and intensities. Delta comes to mind, and now possibly TD 28 doing a similar path into the northern GOM.

True as a matter of fact if waters stay warm enough, November may not be terribly different from October. The only reason climatology shuts down alot in November is bc most of the Caribbean and the Gulf become too hostile and the WCar becomes the only sliver of favorable area left. However in a year such as this, there are times where the Caribbean still behaves like a warm October with storms like Paloma and Otto!

With a favorable MJO expected to come around again with this convective Kelvin Wave during early Nov. it’d be no surprise to see another storm like those...
Last edited by ClarCari on Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby LarryWx » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:46 pm

Maybe S FL will finally get a storm in Nov. It almost sounds like some of you are begging for one as I sense a lot of frustration in not getting one. Maybe those guys would finally be content.
4 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:05 pm

Loveweather12 wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:

I know, I’m concerned that people are becoming complacent which isn’t good. But I can’t shake the feeling that FL will feel something this year. I may be wrong but I’m surprised the models are showing something that late in the season

I’ve been growing more concerned on complacency since the whole Isaias thing busted. Saw a lot of businesses board up and homes shutter up. Next time the real deal comes people might say things like it’s nothing to worry about they always turn or die out at the last second.

Though we did have Dorian last year give us a HUGE scare! :eek:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:06 pm

LarryWx wrote:Maybe S FL will finally get a storm in Nov. It almost sounds like some of you are begging for one as I sense a lot of frustration in not getting one. Maybe those guys would finally be content.

Can’t speak for everyone but I’m an adrenaline junkie. :lol:

Hopefully if something significant comes this way everyone takes it seriously though!
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby SFLcane » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:08 pm

LarryWx wrote:Maybe S FL will finally get a storm in Nov. It almost sounds like some of you are begging for one as I sense a lot of frustration in not getting one. Maybe those guys would finally be content.

Well one thing is sure that ridge will not be around. :P
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby aspen » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:26 pm

The source of “Future Eta” has remained constant: a tropical wave reaching the Lesser Antilles by October 30th/31st and interacting with some other low/collection of vorticity coming north from South America. It could quickly develop in the ECar, become a significant system in the central-western Caribbean, or very slowly develop until it nears Central America. A lot of possibilities remain, but TD28/Zeta has shown that even if a medium/long-range system vanishes a few days from when it’s supposed to form, that doesn’t mean it’s gone for good.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:41 pm

SFLcane wrote:

Well one thing is sure that ridge will not be around. :P

How do we know a ridge won’t be around? The SE Ridge has been present all summer and now into the fall.
1 likes   

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

#20 Postby Ryxn » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:43 pm

ClarCari wrote:
Ryxn wrote:I’m curious if we have say 29 or 30 TC’s and names overall assuming TD 10 gets a post-upgrade, would that still make 2020 the most active?

Most tropical cyclones: 31 (2005)
Most tropical storms: 28 (2005)
Most hurricanes: 15 (2005)
Most C2+ hurricanes: 10 (1950)
Most major hurricanes: 7 (2005)
Most C4+ hurricanes: 5 (2005, 1999, 1961, 1933)
Most C5 hurricanes: 4 (2005)
Last edited by Ryxn on Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”