Most significant storms that models didn't see coming

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Homie J
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Most significant storms that models didn't see coming

#21 Postby Homie J » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:56 pm

aspen wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:Can we go the other way too? If so, I'd like to nominate Typhoon Kammuri. If I recall correctly, at one point there was talk about Kammuri becoming Haiyan 2.0, with pretty much every model making it a monster Cat 5. Instead, it struggled big time for most of its life and "only" became a lower end Cat 4

Kammuri in the WPac and Nisarga in the Arabian Sea were both systems that the Euro seriously overestimated, only for them to end up significantly weaker than modeled. This seems to be the beginning of the Euro’s ongoing poor performance: unable to sniff out a Cat 5 just a few days in advance, and sometimes blowing up systems far beyond what they actually become (see the Euro’s Cat 5 runs for Atsani and post-CA Eta).

Where can I find the Euro past runs for those storms?
0 likes   

HurricaneEnzo
Category 2
Category 2

#22 Postby HurricaneEnzo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:57 am

Joaquin 2015. If memory serves models initially indicated it wouldn't get much stronger than a depression. Ended up pounding the Bahamas and almost reached Cat 5 before all was said and done.
4 likes   
Bertha 96' - Fran 96' - Bonnie 98' - Dennis 99' - Floyd 99' - Isabel 03' - Alex 04' - Ophelia 05' - Irene 11' - Arthur 14' - Matthew 16' - Florence 18' - Dorian 19' - Isaias 20' (countless other tropical storms and Hurricane swipes)

I am not a Professional Met just an enthusiast. Get your weather forecasts from the Pros!

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:01 pm

Going to have to agree that Joaquin was the most significant. Dorian at least had some limited support. Joaquin didn't have a single model showing more than a tropical depression / 35-knot tropical storm when it formed.
2 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:59 am

Hurricane Lorenzo second RI phase. They continued to forecast weakening after it weakened to a low end cat 3 and instead made it to Cat 5 defying all.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”