Change to SSHWS

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
InfernoFlameCat
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Change to SSHWS

#1 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:41 am

Instead of scrapping this I think we should add a storm size feature.
Like for a storm with a 150 km radius of gale force winds the storm gets a + and for 400km ++ with a max of 5+
Katrina at landfall would be a 3++++ and sandy a 1+++++ but Andrew 5+
Like maybe each + be treated as potential storm surge implication.
What do y´all think?

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service. :ggreen:
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Weather Dude
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Change to SSHWS

#2 Postby Weather Dude » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:38 am

Gotta go with a no on this one. To me that would make it WAY more complicated than it is now.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC for official information.

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Change to SSHWS

#3 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:23 pm

I'd scrap the SSHWS entirely and replace it with one that balances the impact of surge, rain, and wind.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”