2021 WPAC Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Hayabusa
Category 5
Category 5

2021 WPAC Season

#1 Postby Hayabusa » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:24 am

Goni was the strongest October typhoon in 1 min wind since the 1970 beating 165 knot Tip. I wouldn't be surprised if another 170 knot typhoon forms in 2021. If that happens the 2020's decade would tie with the 2010's decade for the most 170 knot typhoons (Haiyan, Meranti, Goni, ???) since the 1970, not to mention there were no reliable 170 knot typhoons until the 2010's. I wouldn't be surprised too if the first ever operational/post-analysis greater than 170 knot typhoon forms this decade overall in the satellite era.

Unless there is a last minute named storm in 2020 these are the 2021 names from wikipedia

Dujuan (unused)
Surigae (unused)
Choi-wan (unused)
Koguma (unused)
Champi (unused)
In-fa (unused)
Cempaka (unused)
Nepartak (unused)
Lupit (unused)
Mirinae (unused)
Nida (unused)
Omais (unused)
Conson (unused)
Chanthu (unused)
Dianmu (unused)
Mindulle (unused)
Lionrock (unused)
Kompasu (unused)
Namtheun (unused)
Malou (unused)
Nyatoh (unused)
Rai (unused)
Malakas (unused)
Megi (unused)
Chaba (unused)
Aere (unused)
Songda (unused)
Trases (unused)

Just like 2020 there are pretty big names in the list. Well what do you think 2021 would bring in the Northwestern Pacific? Happy holidays.
0 likes   
ヤンデレと寝取られ組み合わせ!!

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 WPAC Season

#2 Postby aspen » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:34 am

Nepartek really should have been retired after the 2016 season. A monster Cat 5 with a multi-billion dollar damage total...it’s practically begging for retirement. I’ll bet that Nepartek ‘21 will be a weak slop system, similar to Nuri ‘20 vs Nuri ‘14.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 May 2018 New England Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20

I am neither a meteorology student nor a professional, I'm just a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby GSBHurricane » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:43 pm

aspen wrote:Nepartek really should have been retired after the 2016 season. A monster Cat 5 with a multi-billion dollar damage total...it’s practically begging for retirement. I’ll bet that Nepartek ‘21 will be a weak slop system, similar to Nuri ‘20 vs Nuri ‘14.

I think it was because it was overshadowed by Meranti in China later that year. I could be wrong.
0 likes   

NXStumpy_Robothing
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby NXStumpy_Robothing » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:03 pm

GSBHurricane wrote:
aspen wrote:Nepartek really should have been retired after the 2016 season. A monster Cat 5 with a multi-billion dollar damage total...it’s practically begging for retirement. I’ll bet that Nepartek ‘21 will be a weak slop system, similar to Nuri ‘20 vs Nuri ‘14.

I think it was because it was overshadowed by Meranti in China later that year. I could be wrong.

Unfortunately, the WPAC region tends to not retire systems that are particularly impactful in Taiwan if they also do not go on to affect a different area due to the complicated geopolitical issue of the island. Since Taiwan does not have an official representative at the WMO, and China often chooses to ignore systems that cause great impact on the island, this leads to storms like Nepartek not getting retired, even though they're systems that would be worthy of retirement had they impacted an island of Japan or the Philippines instead. It's a crappy situation.
0 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student, Georgia Institute of Technology

Imran_doomhaMwx
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Imran_doomhaMwx » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:41 am

Probably another slow, below-average season just like past ones preceded by a moderate-strong La Nina.
0 likes   

Hayabusa
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Hayabusa » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:06 pm

Levi Cowan creator of Tropical Tidbits now works for the JTWC. Finally, I can't wait for prognostic reasoning and fixes from him on WPAC storms
 https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits/status/1344818178984067073

2 likes   
ヤンデレと寝取られ組み合わせ!!

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”