2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#201 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:00 am

While I am not going to hype or jump to conclusions, I am beginning to wonder if this season has the potential to defy expectations and actually make it to Adria or so forth. Especially with the lack of El Nino beginning to look likely as well as a predicted vigorous WAM and the temperatures (at least according to Ben Noll's tweet) warming up quite nicely, it would be quite interesting to see how all of this turns out.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#202 Postby SFLcane » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:03 am

0 likes   

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#203 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:05 am

SSTs in the Atlantic have warmed a good deal over the past three days. In fact the pattern of warming has almost taken a +AMO horseshoe look to it.
(again this is change over the past three days, not the actual SST anoms themselves)
1 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#204 Postby AutoPenalti » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:30 am

If we extrapolate that it would almost seem like a lot of homegrowns will develop this year.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#205 Postby aspen » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:33 am

Once again, another dry Caribbean. I think it’s safe to say we’re not gonna get the same nuclear mode WCar we got in 2020. That doesn’t mean there won’t be Caribbean-grown systems; it’s just that Cat 4s and 5s are much less likely.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#206 Postby Shell Mound » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:01 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:

If we extrapolate that it would almost seem like a lot of homegrowns will develop this year.

Actually, the NMME suggests the opposite: fewer homegrown systems in the Caribbean/GoM and more long-trackers in the MDR that develop far to the east.
1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#207 Postby cycloneye » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:38 pm

DorkyMcDorkface wrote:SSTs in the Atlantic have warmed a good deal over the past three days. In fact the pattern of warming has almost taken a +AMO horseshoe look to it.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/733552978572869632/830470869284683826/oisst_diff_3d_tropatl_2021040900.png
(again this is change over the past three days, not the actual SST anoms themselves)

I wonder if the ST Vincent volcano LaSoufriere that continues to erupt bigtime plays a roll on the sst's if it continues to be active in the next few weeks.

3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#208 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:42 pm

cycloneye wrote:
DorkyMcDorkface wrote:SSTs in the Atlantic have warmed a good deal over the past three days. In fact the pattern of warming has almost taken a +AMO horseshoe look to it.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/733552978572869632/830470869284683826/oisst_diff_3d_tropatl_2021040900.png

I wonder if the ST Vincent volcano LaSoufriere that continues to erupt bigtime plays a roll on the sst's if it continues to be active in the next few weeks.

https://i.imgur.com/SNTOpwQ.jpg

That's a really good point. Worth watching for sure.
3 likes   

SteveM
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#209 Postby SteveM » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:02 pm

DorkyMcDorkface wrote:
cycloneye wrote:

What sort of effect might it have? Volcanic ash inhibiting the sun from warming the sea, or something else?
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#210 Postby cycloneye » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:03 pm

SteveM wrote:
DorkyMcDorkface wrote:
cycloneye wrote:

What sort of effect might it have? Volcanic ash inhibiting the sun from warming the sea, or something else?

What you said first.
2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#211 Postby cycloneye » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:08 pm

Very thick ash.

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#212 Postby cycloneye » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:17 pm

Eagered to see our friend in Barbados abajan as that island is being bigtime affected by thick ash.

4 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#213 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:22 pm

If I remember Soufrie last had an explosive eruption in 1979? But yeah, I have actually been very curious to see what would happen if a hurricane interacted with volcanic ash from an eruption. Not sure if there are recorded examples of this occurring but it has interested me to say the least
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#214 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:15 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:If I remember Soufrie last had an explosive eruption in 1979? But yeah, I have actually been very curious to see what would happen if a hurricane interacted with volcanic ash from an eruption. Not sure if there are recorded examples of this occurring but it has interested me to say the least

Typhoon Yunya in 1991 over the Phillipines . . .

EDIT: I got the wrong year
Last edited by Iceresistance on Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Hayabusa
Category 5
Category 5

#215 Postby Hayabusa » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:59 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:If I remember Soufrie last had an explosive eruption in 1979? But yeah, I have actually been very curious to see what would happen if a hurricane interacted with volcanic ash from an eruption. Not sure if there are recorded examples of this occurring but it has interested me to say the least

Typhoon Yunya in 1993 over the Phillipines . . .

It's actually 1991 from Mount Pinatubo
3 likes   
ヤンデレ女が寝取られるているのを見たい!!!
ECMWF ensemble NWPAC plots: https://ecmwfensnwpac.imgbb.com/
Multimodel NWPAC plots: https://multimodelnwpac.imgbb.com/
GFS Ensemble NWPAC plots (16 & 35 day forecast): https://gefsnwpac.imgbb.com/
Plots updated automatically

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#216 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:25 pm

Hayabusa wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

Typhoon Yunya in 1993 over the Phillipines . . .

It's actually 1991 from Mount Pinatubo

Thanks for the year, I was not 100% sure on when, but I knew it was Yunya . . .
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#217 Postby ClarCari » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:51 pm

I doubt the St. Vincent mountain will contribute much of anything to the MDR cooling when it matters the most.
Too far out from when the waves start spilling out around mid to late July.
If this volcanic activity had occurred in July however, then combined with the usually SAL spills we see during that month it could have a considerable effect on the MDR for August and even September.
So let’s see if another volcano awakens during July! :)
1 likes   

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#218 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:22 pm

ClarCari wrote:I doubt the St. Vincent mountain will contribute much of anything to the MDR cooling when it matters the most.
Too far out from when the waves start spilling out around mid to late July.
If this volcanic activity had occurred in July however, then combined with the usually SAL spills we see during that month it could have a considerable effect on the MDR for August and even September.
So let’s see if another volcano awakens during July! :)

Now that I think about it yeah, in the long term it will ultimately be negligible. The effects of SAL are significant because the plumes can be so extensive and dense and can last for long durations. In this case, I don't think it will really make too much of a difference.

Regardless though, hopefully those folks down there make it out okay, I can't imagine how scary the situation is right now.
2 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#219 Postby chaser1 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:09 pm

Depending of course on the volume of volcanic particulates thrust into Earth's atmosphere by a significant enough volcanic event, the result would not only potentially lower SST'S. Additional far reaching impact to thwart tropical development may also occur by reduced humidity and sinking air throughout much of the tropics and sub-tropic regions. This could significantly suppress convection and act to disrupt tropical cyclones from maintaining organization. Good luck though in trying to predict which volcanic events could lead to such climate impact.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#220 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:45 pm

Tambora in 1815 would have definitely affected tropical cyclones around the world due to how big that was
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”