2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#3501 Postby Hammy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:24 am

AxaltaRacing24 wrote:Crazy how years like 2005, 2020, and this season have unfavorable MDR's and look unfavorable as a whole, produce the highest numbers in quality and quantity. Even though this season "feels" like a struggle, one more MJO push will likely boost us to 5-6 majors and 10 hurricanes. 20+ storms looks likely too.

Even if 2021's numbers end up higher than 2017's, it wouldn't "feel" that way at all. Especially considering the fact that 2020 was last year.

While both years featured strangely similar August activity, September is setting this year apart quite dramatically from those two--2020 had four hurricanes during September (this year looks like it'll have to try extra hard just to reach three) and five storms active at once. 2005 had already seen five hurricanes by this point, including two majors, and didn't really see any struggling storms. Both years also had at least one instance of three active hurricanes at once--this year is struggling just in maintaining two named storms at once, and has at no point had multiple hurricanes at any given time.

We're seeing a strange combination of overperforming storms in the Gulf, but the Gulf/Caribbean drastically underperforming in the total number of storms, while the open Atlantic underperforms in intensity with most systems struggling to exceed 50 mph.
3 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#3502 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:22 am

So judging by some of the models, 98L (likely Sam?) is not only going to be a major ACE producer but also potentially a threat to the Lesser Antilles as it has the potential to near the islands dangerously close. We’ll see what happens, although getting a strong westward tracking MDR Hurricane this late in the year would be just phenomenal.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#3503 Postby aspen » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:35 am

If there’s one seasonal indicator that did verify quite well, it was the lower ITCZ and the prediction for many lower-latitude storms than in 2020. Elsa, Grace, Kate, Larry, Peter, and Rose all formed in the MDR that emerged at between 9-12N (Grace’s wave refocused on the northern lobe about halfway to the Lesser Antilles), while the handful of further north waves all failed to develop. Elsa’s track was also a decent indicator about the more frequent low-latitude waves and genesis; Fred and Grace had similar tracks over/through the Greater Antilles, while Grace and Larry had similar genesis latitudes and stayed at a rather low latitude for quite some time.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#3504 Postby SconnieCane » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:07 am

Teban54 wrote:
Deshaunrob17 wrote:
Hammy wrote:
I disagree on 2020 being quantity over quality given we had quite a few hurricanes, and some stronger ones--including three Cat 2+ hurricanes active at once (and I'm certain Paulette was stronger than the official intensity, though I don't actually have anything to back that up)--10/4/1 with two long trackers (one a major) and a near-major landfall is a respectable showing--it seemed less because everything developed, including things that wouldn't have in any other year, leading to additional weaker storms.

2016 was a strangely uneven year. Hurricane in January, burst of May/June activity, August having only one hurricane on each end (and then Hermine at the start of September), no real long trackers (and the only major during the peak timeframe struggling until it reached the subtropics), and then back to back to back major hurricanes in October/November, and I'm still to this day not sure what was going on that year as all indications were for a more favorable bulk of the season.

I guess what defines a season with quality is having several long-tracked hurricanes... 2020 only had Teddy as a long track hurricane. Paulette was a long tracked storm

2005 also didn't have that many hurricanes with long tracks. Emily perhaps, and it's only limited to the Caribbean and Gulf.

Katrina, Rita and Wilma, despite not being MDR long-trackers, each spent a fairly long time as strong majors. This is in contrast to storms in 2020/21 like Laura, Eta/Iota, and Ida which blew up in intensity quite close to landfall, hence the much higher ACE total of 2005.
4 likes   

storminabox
Category 1
Category 1

#3505 Postby storminabox » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:51 pm

Hammy wrote:
AxaltaRacing24 wrote:Crazy how years like 2005, 2020, and this season have unfavorable MDR's and look unfavorable as a whole, produce the highest numbers in quality and quantity. Even though this season "feels" like a struggle, one more MJO push will likely boost us to 5-6 majors and 10 hurricanes. 20+ storms looks likely too.

Even if 2021's numbers end up higher than 2017's, it wouldn't "feel" that way at all. Especially considering the fact that 2020 was last year.

While both years featured strangely similar August activity, September is setting this year apart quite dramatically from those two--2020 had four hurricanes during September (this year looks like it'll have to try extra hard just to reach three) and five storms active at once. 2005 had already seen five hurricanes by this point, including two majors, and didn't really see any struggling storms. Both years also had at least one instance of three active hurricanes at once--this year is struggling just in maintaining two named storms at once, and has at no point had multiple hurricanes at any given time.

We're seeing a strange combination of overperforming storms in the Gulf, but the Gulf/Caribbean drastically underperforming in the total number of storms, while the open Atlantic underperforms in intensity with most systems struggling to exceed 50 mph.

There has been quite a few storms in the Gulf and Caribbean this year. Don’t think that region has been underperforming.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#3506 Postby Hammy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:16 pm

storminabox wrote:
Hammy wrote:

There has been quite a few storms in the Gulf and Caribbean this year. Don’t think that region has been underperforming.

7 out of 17 in a season most assumed would be heavily west-biased. It seems the potential for more stronger storms but especially as of late, the waves just aren't making it there to develop in the first place
2 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#3507 Postby AlphaToOmega » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:18 pm

Deshaunrob17 wrote:
Hammy wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:Important thing to note: many Septembers, even in active seasons, were quantity-above-quality. September 2016 and September 2020 were all quantity-above-quality. In both cases, October and November featured quality storms. 2016, 2020, and 2021 featured/are featuring strong WAM; all are La Nina seasons; all featured/are featuring quantity-above-quality seasons. This shows you that a lot can change in the last few months of hurricane seasons.

PS: In terms of timing, 2021 is so far quite close to 2016: one May storm, active June, July lull, active August, and quantity-over-quality September (aside from Matthew). The difference is that 2021 is so far way ahead of 2016 in every metric.

I disagree on 2020 being quantity over quality given we had quite a few hurricanes, and some stronger ones--including three Cat 2+ hurricanes active at once (and I'm certain Paulette was stronger than the official intensity, though I don't actually have anything to back that up)--10/4/1 with two long trackers (one a major) and a near-major landfall is a respectable showing--it seemed less because everything developed, including things that wouldn't have in any other year, leading to additional weaker storms.

2016 was a strangely uneven year. Hurricane in January, burst of May/June activity, August having only one hurricane on each end (and then Hermine at the start of September), no real long trackers (and the only major during the peak timeframe struggling until it reached the subtropics), and then back to back to back major hurricanes in October/November, and I'm still to this day not sure what was going on that year as all indications were for a more favorable bulk of the season.

I guess what defines a season with quality is having several long-tracked hurricanes... 2020 only had Teddy as a long track hurricane. Paulette was a long tracked storm

I define a "quantity over quality" month as a month in which over 50% of the storms do not attain hurricane status. Septembers of 2016, 2020, and possibly 2021 are quantity over quality; September of 2017 was not.
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3508 Postby SFLcane » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:45 pm

1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#3509 Postby Hammy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:12 pm

Would this west bias affect the CFS as well? If I remember correctly it's run off of the GFS (or at least uses the same data) and has been showing a more active EPAC rather than Caribbean during October.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#3510 Postby Hammy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:13 pm

AlphaToOmega wrote:
Deshaunrob17 wrote:
Hammy wrote:

I define a "quantity over quality" month as a month in which over 50% of the storms do not attain hurricane status. Septembers of 2016, 2020, and possibly 2021 are quantity over quality; September of 2017 was not.

I still don't feel this can be applied to 2020 given the sheer number of storms and just about every wave developing for several weeks.
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#3511 Postby Teban54 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:29 am

Another night where I can't sleep, so I'm analyzing random stuff instead.

Since people mentioned possibilities of active October and November, I compared some indicators for 2021 vs 2020 at around this time. I know it's generally not a good idea to compare to arguably the most active late season on record, but I thought it would give us some idea on what can we realistically expect. I digged out every image in the 2020 indicators thread from September 15 onwards that still works.

SST and OHC
2021's SST and OHC in the Western Caribbean are nowhere near as high as 2020:
[CDAS SST Anomaly, Sep 18, 2020]

[CDAS SST Anomaly, Sep 20, 2021]
Coral Reef Watch and OISST don't show such a large area of exactly average SSTs, but they're still not impressive. Here's OISST:

[CDAS SST, OCTOBER 10, 2020]
This is right after Delta passed through the WCar. Looks like Delta was moving too fast to upwell the waters. Also, lol at the "no more RI at landfall" which is exactly what Zeta did.
[CDAS SST, Sep 20, 2021]

[OHC, Sep 20, 2020]

[OHC, Sep 20, 2021]

Current SSTs for 2021 seem more comparable to October 2020, not September 2020, and even then the SW Caribbean is slightly cooler. It does look like there's some anomalous warming recently, but not sure if that's enough to offset the climo.

However, keep in mind that intensification do not always correlate with SST and OHC. Eta and Iota both bombed out in the SW Caribbean, which had much lower OHC and slightly lower SSTs than NW Caribbean (this just makes Iota even more impressive given its close proximity to Eta's track). Zeta was the only storm that passed through NW Caribbean, but shear kept it at Cat 1 strength.

I don't have a SST map of some other recent active Caribbean years in handy (thinking of 2011, 2016 etc), but IMO the current temperature profiles can be enough to support maybe one or two majors, but not Delta then Eta then Iota through November.

CCKW/MJO
I didn't find any forecasts initialized in September 2020 for late season, but here are some in early October. They basically show MJO moving into the Atlantic and staying there until November, which was exactly what happened and aided the extreme late season activity.

[MJO VP200 forecast, Oct 3, 2020]

[EPS VP200 Anomaly forecast, Oct 5, 2020]

Now back to 2021. As people have been discussing recently, we will likely see an active CCKW returning in early October. Notice this is MUCH MUCH stronger in amplitude than the 2020 plot, which IMO explains why 2021 has been so dependent on intraseasonal signals:
[MJO VP200 forecast, Sep 21, 2021]

Current forecasts on Dr Ventrice's website only go up to late September, so I assume the October and November forecasts have not been released yet. So we don't know if the favorable MJO will last for as long as 2020, but probably not.
Regardless, the amplitude of that CCKW might mean we will have a few weeks of very favorable conditions in the Caribbean and Gulf, even if the window is shorter than 2020. Although I'm not betting on it, I wouldn't be surprised if the conditions (except SSTs) end up even better than 2020.

Shear
Didn't find many shear forecasts from last year, and I'm not exactly sure how accurate they are anyway. But here's the Caribbean shear before early October 2020, which has been mostly below average. September 2020 didn't get to take advantage of the below average shear because no waves (aside from Nana) tracked through the Caribbean.

The same plot in 2021 shows higher shear until just recently. Not sure how much I trust this particular plot given its huge variance, and I also wonder if the next CCKW passage will reduce these numbers.
Also, that low shear at the end of the plot could mean 98L might become a problem if it tracks further south.

Earlier this year, the climate models (CFS, CanSIPS) have been rather persistent in showing strong shear across the Atlantic in 2021, including September. I'm not sure whether they actually verified, but judging from the activity we're seeing, looks like they might have.
Regardless, here are some recent runs for October 2021.

[CFS Weekly, init 12z Sep 20, valid Oct 18-25, 2021]
Starting from ~Oct 11 through end November, CFS weekly shows near-average shear in the entire Caribbean. IIRC the CFS shear forecasts' magnitudes generally decrease the further it goes into the forecast period, so it's possible these white colors are actually either above or below average. Given the time period matches the MJO passage well, I'm leaning towards favorable conditions there:

[CFS Monthly, init 06z Sep 19, valid October 2021]
Again, the high amplitudes are likely a CFS thing as mentioned above. Most runs over the past week generally show a pocket of below average shear somewhere in the Caribbean: most recent runs limit this to Eastern Caribbean, but the runs on Sep 13 actually has below-average shear surrounding the Greater Antilles. Strong shear in the Gulf and MDR, which should not be surprising.
FWIW, CFS Monthly did predict below average shear in the entire basin for November 2020.

[CanSIPS, init Aug 31, valid October 2021]
Welp. Complete opposite of CFS. However, the previous run initialized on July 31 actually shows below-average shear across the entire Caribbean in October, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Personally I'm not giving these shear forecasts much weight yet as I rarely see people discuss them, and I'm just posting them here for completeness.

It should be noted that a small pocket of low shear is often enough for development. This was on October 2, 2020, posted by a certain user to support his argument of a hostile October. Gamma and Delta formed a few days later.
12 likes   

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#3512 Postby AlphaToOmega » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:06 am

Teban54 wrote:Another night where I can't sleep, so I'm analyzing random stuff instead.

Since people mentioned possibilities of active October and November, I compared some indicators for 2021 vs 2020 at around this time. I know it's generally not a good idea to compare to arguably the most active late season on record, but I thought it would give us some idea on what can we realistically expect. I digged out every image in the 2020 indicators thread from September 15 onwards that still works.

SST and OHC
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EiNV6shUcAACuIg?format=png&name=medium

https://i.imgur.com/0kUvfRk.png
Coral Reef Watch and OISST don't show such a large area of exactly average SSTs, but they're still not impressive. Here's OISST:
https://i.imgur.com/dPtoN33.png

This is right after Delta passed through the WCar. Looks like Delta was moving too fast to upwell the waters. Also, lol at the "no more RI at landfall" which is exactly what Zeta did.
https://i.imgur.com/VcEqqmy.png
[CDAS SST, Sep 20, 2021]
https://i.imgur.com/Fhcm5PS.png

[OHC, Sep 20, 2020]
https://i.imgur.com/lKfYkYr.gif

[OHC, Sep 20, 2021]
https://i.imgur.com/r9BTkPc.png

Current SSTs for 2021 seem more comparable to October 2020, not September 2020, and even then the SW Caribbean is slightly cooler. It does look like there's some anomalous warming recently, but not sure if that's enough to offset the climo.

However, keep in mind that intensification do not always correlate with SST and OHC. Eta and Iota both bombed out in the SW Caribbean, which had much lower OHC and slightly lower SSTs than NW Caribbean (this just makes Iota even more impressive given its close proximity to Eta's track). Zeta was the only storm that passed through NW Caribbean, but shear kept it at Cat 1 strength.

I don't have a SST map of some other recent active Caribbean years in handy (thinking of 2011, 2016 etc), but IMO the current temperature profiles can be enough to support maybe one or two majors, but not Delta then Eta then Iota through November.

CCKW/MJO
I didn't find any forecasts initialized in September 2020 for late season, but here are some in early October. They basically show MJO moving into the Atlantic and staying there until November, which was exactly what happened and aided the extreme late season activity.

https://i.imgur.com/GqL79T8.png

https://i.imgur.com/YczsPpN.png

Now back to 2021. As people have been discussing recently, we will likely see an active CCKW returning in early October. Notice this is MUCH MUCH stronger in amplitude than the 2020 plot, which IMO explains why 2021 has been so dependent on intraseasonal signals:
https://i.imgur.com/PsgkpHR.png

Current forecasts on Dr Ventrice's website only go up to late September, so I assume the October and November forecasts have not been released yet. So we don't know if the favorable MJO will last for as long as 2020, but probably not.
Regardless, the amplitude of that CCKW might mean we will have a few weeks of very favorable conditions in the Caribbean and Gulf, even if the window is shorter than 2020. Although I'm not betting on it, I wouldn't be surprised if the conditions (except SSTs) end up even better than 2020.

Shear
Didn't find many shear forecasts from last year, and I'm not exactly sure how accurate they are anyway. But here's the Caribbean shear before early October 2020, which has been mostly below average. September 2020 didn't get to take advantage of the below average shear because no waves (aside from Nana) tracked through the Caribbean.
https://i.imgur.com/GkagMKa.png

The same plot in 2021 shows higher shear until just recently. Not sure how much I trust this particular plot given its huge variance, and I also wonder if the next CCKW passage will reduce these numbers.
Also, that low shear at the end of the plot could mean 98L might become a problem if it tracks further south.
https://i.imgur.com/F4ZJmAu.png

Earlier this year, the climate models (CFS, CanSIPS) have been rather persistent in showing strong shear across the Atlantic in 2021, including September. I'm not sure whether they actually verified, but judging from the activity we're seeing, looks like they might have.

Starting from ~Oct 11 through end November, CFS weekly shows near-average shear in the entire Caribbean. IIRC the CFS shear forecasts' magnitudes generally decrease the further it goes into the forecast period, so it's possible these white colors are actually either above or below average. Given the time period matches the MJO passage well, I'm leaning towards favorable conditions there:
https://i.imgur.com/l5LFvMZ.png

Again, the high amplitudes are likely a CFS thing as mentioned above. Most runs over the past week generally show a pocket of below average shear somewhere in the Caribbean: most recent runs limit this to Eastern Caribbean, but the runs on Sep 13 actually has below-average shear surrounding the Greater Antilles. Strong shear in the Gulf and MDR, which should not be surprising.
FWIW, CFS Monthly did predict below average shear in the entire basin for November 2020.
https://i.imgur.com/0VvPpq9.png

Welp. Complete opposite of CFS. However, the previous run initialized on July 31 actually shows below-average shear across the entire Caribbean in October, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.
https://i.imgur.com/mJFVgQX.png

Personally I'm not giving these shear forecasts much weight yet as I rarely see people discuss them, and I'm just posting them here for completeness.

It should be noted that a small pocket of low shear is often enough for development. This was on October 2, 2020, posted by a certain user to support his argument of a hostile October. Gamma and Delta formed a few days later.
https://i.imgur.com/O1u5Tc7.gif

We did have a major hurricane form in the Caribbean a couple of weeks ago, though. We also had another hurricane in the Gulf about a week ago. They tend to upwell waters, which lowers SSTAs.
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3513 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:55 am

If some of the model runs are to be believed, our total ACE by the time 98L dissipates will possibly jump by at least 30-40 points. In fact, I would not be surprised to see future 98L be the sole force in bringing ACE to above average levels.
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#3514 Postby aspen » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:26 am

Teban54 wrote:Another night where I can't sleep, so I'm analyzing random stuff instead.

SST and OHC
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EiNV6shUcAACuIg?format=png&name=medium

https://i.imgur.com/0kUvfRk.png
https://i.imgur.com/dPtoN33.png

https://i.imgur.com/VcEqqmy.png
[CDAS SST, Sep 20, 2021]
https://i.imgur.com/Fhcm5PS.png

[OHC, Sep 20, 2020]
https://i.imgur.com/lKfYkYr.gif

[OHC, Sep 20, 2021]
https://i.imgur.com/r9BTkPc.png

CCKW/MJO

https://i.imgur.com/GqL79T8.png

https://i.imgur.com/YczsPpN.png

https://i.imgur.com/PsgkpHR.png

Shear
https://i.imgur.com/GkagMKa.png

https://i.imgur.com/F4ZJmAu.png

https://i.imgur.com/l5LFvMZ.png

https://i.imgur.com/0VvPpq9.png

https://i.imgur.com/mJFVgQX.png

https://i.imgur.com/O1u5Tc7.gif

Great post! So far the setup for October does seem similar to 2020, but hopefully the less insane OHC prevents something like Delta that is successful in reaching ludicrous intensity. I’m surprised at how the Loop Current was the complete opposite in 2020 compared to 2021.

Also, at least I was right about strange mid-latitude systems in October 2020.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3515 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:46 am

So I know there's been quite a bit of talk on ACE in the Atlantic potentially underperforming, but let's put some perspective here: the Atlantic just surpassed the EPAC in ACE, and 98L has great potential to jack up the Atlantic's ACE by a lot. The fact that we may be seeing a bona fide, strong Cape Verde storm make its way westward in the last week or so of September makes me wonder if not only will this season be backloaded but also if this year's CV season is running late (thereby allowing us to see CV storms even in October, fish or no fish). Whatever the case I still have a feeling by the end of November we will look back to our talk of September underperforming and causing ACE to lag and just laugh.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3516 Postby tolakram » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:55 am

If the latest Euro run is to be believed the end of September is now looking like it will be quite interesting.

While this isn't the models thread here's the latest Oct 1st from the euro. Let's see if this happens.

There's a cold front pushing through the upper gulf, at least, which is about on time. This will shut down the gulf for a week or so, then the October mini peak timeframe happens, which usually means something in the western half of the basin. Usually.
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#3517 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:43 am

tolakram wrote:If the latest Euro run is to be believed the end of September is now looking like it will be quite interesting.

While this isn't the models thread here's the latest Oct 1st from the euro. Let's see if this happens.

https://i.imgur.com/OZqhzHR.png

There's a cold front pushing through the upper gulf, at least, which is about on time. This will shut down the gulf for a week or so, then the October mini peak timeframe happens, which usually means something in the western half of the basin. Usually.

Oh no, the Euro is showing 98L to be very similar to Irma, I really hope that's not the case . . .
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#3518 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:54 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
tolakram wrote:If the latest Euro run is to be believed the end of September is now looking like it will be quite interesting.

https://i.imgur.com/OZqhzHR.png

Oh no, the Euro is showing 98L to be very similar to Irma, I really hope that's not the case . . .

more like Maria.
0 likes   

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#3519 Postby AlphaToOmega » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:31 am

In terms of SSTs, the Atlantic clearly has the advantage right now. With an impending La Niña, that advantage is likely to continue and expand into October and November. Warmer SSTAs relative to the global average indicate rising air. There is likely to be net rising air in the Atlantic for months to come. Moreover, the Atlantic has a very clear +AMO look, with positive SSTAs in both the tropics and the subtropics; the Pacific has a very clear -PDO look. This further concentrates the rising air to the Atlantic.

0 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#3520 Postby CyclonicFury » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:04 pm

98L looks like it has a good chance to become a major hurricane in the MDR. It would be hard to call a MDR that produced two majors lackluster. The last season to produce two or more majors in the MDR was 2017.
5 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”