2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#4201 Postby Shell Mound » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:56 am

hurricanes1234 wrote:It's amazing how much the La Niña this year did absolutely nothing to promote late-season activity. The basin has behaved like an El Niño since early October. Also, the season only surpassed 140 ACE because of Sam, without Sam, I don't even know if we would've crossed 100.

I think that climate change may be altering the large-scale atmospheric patterns and resulting in unusual outcomes. Even with La Niña in place, the Pacific and Indian basins are larger and thus tend to absorb more heat in a warmer climate than the tropical Atlantic, so in absolute terms they exert more influence on Earth’s weather. I cannot recall the exact source, but elsewhere some sources have blamed a warming Pacific basin for the recent dearth of active tornado seasons, especially on the Great Plains, since 2013. Combined with a warmer subtropical Atlantic, the warming Pacific and Indian basins may, along with an expanded Hadley cell, contribute to greater stability and TUTT intrusions over the tropical Atlantic, on balance, in a warming climate, so Niñas may at time behave more like Niños. At the very least, these factors might tend to result in fewer and/or shorter-lived major hurricanes (à la 2005 and 2020 vs. a year like 2004 or 2017) and thus less ACE, even in active seasons, especially over the MDR. Studies have suggested that climate change would decrease the number of tropical storms and perhaps even hurricanes in the Atlantic basin, but result in a slight increase in maximum potential intensity insofar as the strongest storms are concerned.
6 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#4202 Postby Ubuntwo » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:01 pm

Anomalous blocking over the SW Atlantic and Caribbean has been persistent.

It is keeping the ITCZ low and suppressed, steering waves into the eastern Pacific.

With mid latitude cyclones tracking around its north flank.
6 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#4203 Postby aspen » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:58 pm

This Nina hasn’t completely acted not like a Nina. It has certainly acted like one in the WPac and EPac, but it’s more like a Niño in the Atlantic. It’s strange that the most suppressive possible scenarios has verified on a global scale. Maybe climate change is to blame like Shell suggested; it might’ve also been responsible for the THC collapse that led to 2013 being, well, 2013.

Fall 2021 has become the new 2013 lol.
3 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#4204 Postby Teban54 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:59 pm

Shell Mound wrote:
hurricanes1234 wrote:It's amazing how much the La Niña this year did absolutely nothing to promote late-season activity. The basin has behaved like an El Niño since early October. Also, the season only surpassed 140 ACE because of Sam, without Sam, I don't even know if we would've crossed 100.

I think that climate change may be altering the large-scale atmospheric patterns and resulting in unusual outcomes. Even with La Niña in place, the Pacific and Indian basins are larger and thus tend to absorb more heat in a warmer climate than the tropical Atlantic, so in absolute terms they exert more influence on Earth’s weather. I cannot recall the exact source, but elsewhere some sources have blamed a warming Pacific basin for the recent dearth of active tornado seasons, especially on the Great Plains, since 2013. Combined with a warmer subtropical Atlantic, the warming Pacific and Indian basins may, along with an expanded Hadley cell, contribute to greater stability and TUTT intrusions over the tropical Atlantic, on balance, in a warming climate, so Niñas may at time behave more like Niños. At the very least, these factors might tend to result in fewer and/or shorter-lived major hurricanes (à la 2005 and 2020 vs. a year like 2004 or 2017) and thus less ACE, even in active seasons, especially over the MDR. Studies have suggested that climate change would decrease the number of tropical storms and perhaps even hurricanes in the Atlantic basin, but result in a slight increase in maximum potential intensity insofar as the strongest storms are concerned.

How would climate change explain the polar opposites of Oct/Nov 2020 and Oct/Nov 2021 happening in consecutive years, then?
2 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#4205 Postby aspen » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:14 pm

2021 is now the fourth year where the Atlantic produces more official named storms than the WPac; the Atlantic is at 21 (and could be 22 in a few days) while the WPac is at 20. The EPac only slightly trails behind them at 19 NS.

All three big NHEM basins have had similar NS totals, and all have mostly been quantity-over-quality with only a few standout storms per basin and a lot of slop. Interestingly, despite this, 2021 has produced three 40+ ACE systems worldwide (Surigae, Chanthu, and Sam), a feat 2020 never accomplished.
5 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#4206 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:35 pm

2021 in the Atlantic was basically a 2007 repeat but with more systems overall. And what makes it especially similar to 2007 is the unusual October shutdown that resembled warm ENSO more than cool ENSO conditions.
2 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#4207 Postby aspen » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:00 am

2021 seems to be an extreme example of why 2004 and 2017 saw reduced activity after ridiculously active MDRs in August and September: the ITCZ was too low to favor non-CAG Caribbean storms in October and November, but it was low enough to allow for multiple 30+ ACE long-trackers earlier in the year. This doesn’t completely explain 2021, however, because 2017 still found a way to produce a major in the subtropics, and neither it nor 2004 had as long of a late-season drought as 2021.
7 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#4208 Postby skyline385 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:51 am

aspen wrote:2021 is now the fourth year where the Atlantic produces more official named storms than the WPac; the Atlantic is at 21 (and could be 22 in a few days) while the WPac is at 20. The EPac only slightly trails behind them at 19 NS.

All three big NHEM basins have had similar NS totals, and all have mostly been quantity-over-quality with only a few standout storms per basin and a lot of slop. Interestingly, despite this, 2021 has produced three 40+ ACE systems worldwide (Surigae, Chanthu, and Sam), a feat 2020 never accomplished.

Well to be fair, NATL 2020 didn't even get a single Cat 5 and almost all majors were RI'ing systems close to landfall. So it's not entirely surprising that it did not have individual ACE monsters.
3 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#4209 Postby skyline385 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:51 pm

Something seems to be brewing up on the WPAC finally on the GFS. The major drought may end before the season is over...
0 likes   

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#4210 Postby MarioProtVI » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:48 pm

skyline385 wrote:
aspen wrote:2021 is now the fourth year where the Atlantic produces more official named storms than the WPac; the Atlantic is at 21 (and could be 22 in a few days) while the WPac is at 20. The EPac only slightly trails behind them at 19 NS.

Well to be fair, NATL 2020 didn't even get a single Cat 5 and almost all majors were RI'ing systems close to landfall. So it's not entirely surprising that it did not have individual ACE monsters.

I mean if you want to get technical I can disagree with the first part of your statement but I’m not going to.
1 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#4211 Postby skyline385 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:22 pm

MarioProtVI wrote:
skyline385 wrote:

I mean if you want to get technical I can disagree with the first part of your statement but I’m not going to.

Am curious, what part of my statement is technically wrong?
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#4212 Postby Hammy » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:02 pm

aspen wrote:2021 seems to be an extreme example of why 2004 and 2017 saw reduced activity after ridiculously active MDRs in August and September: the ITCZ was too low to favor non-CAG Caribbean storms in October and November, but it was low enough to allow for multiple 30+ ACE long-trackers earlier in the year. This doesn’t completely explain 2021, however, because 2017 still found a way to produce a major in the subtropics, and neither it nor 2004 had as long of a late-season drought as 2021.

There were contributing factors in 2004, being a Modoki El Nino, so worth noting in addition to the low ITCZ. But the ITCZ could have been a factor in other years as well, 1981 being an example--four back to back MDR hurricanes in September, followed by absolutely nothing in October until the 29th, when Jose (of similar origin to Wanda) formed. While there was also a hurricane in the NW Caribbean in early November that year, it appears to have originated from an upper trough and not CAG.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#4213 Postby aspen » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:19 pm

skyline385 wrote:
MarioProtVI wrote:
skyline385 wrote:

I think he’s talking about no Cat 5s in 2020. Iota is a very borderline case, and if Eta was a Cat 5, then recon missed it; another flight was on its way after the one that recorded 922mb and a 5-6 mb/hr deepening rate, but it suddenly turned back after reaching the Yucatán Channel.

Both 2020 and 2021 had possible Cat 5s that had no recon for most of the day of their peak intensities due to bad luck or poor scheduling. I hope 2022 doesn’t continue that trend.
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#4214 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:46 pm

It's amazing how since 2015 we're on a 7 year streak where the strongest storm of the season is a borderline Cat 5 with 155 mph winds or a bona fide Cat 5. I'm certain there has not been any recent historical streak of years that featured something this. I wonder if 2022 will continue this trend or not.
3 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#4215 Postby skyline385 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:19 pm

aspen wrote:
skyline385 wrote:
MarioProtVI wrote:I mean if you want to get technical I can disagree with the first part of your statement but I’m not going to.

I think he’s talking about no Cat 5s in 2020. Iota is a very borderline case, and if Eta was a Cat 5, then recon missed it; another flight was on its way after the one that recorded 922mb and a 5-6 mb/hr deepening rate, but it suddenly turned back after reaching the Yucatán Channel.

Both 2020 and 2021 had possible Cat 5s that had no recon for most of the day of their peak intensities due to bad luck or poor scheduling. I hope 2022 doesn’t continue that trend.

I mean that's not being technically wrong, cause that would mean I was factually wrong but we dont know if Iota and Eta got to Cat 5. Both were monster storms but a lot of people here were misled by the cold tops (It was November) and probably overestimated its intensity. I remember seeing people hyping up Eta to be 160-180 kts in the discussion thread last year...
1 likes   

zhukm29
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4216 Postby zhukm29 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:05 pm

I honestly find it pretty funny that we got Victor on September 29 and will likely miss the aux list, with this latest AOI dropping down to 0/0 and nothing on the models in the next week or so. I guess the models that were showing nothing in October were right after all... a rare case recently where the bulls are the ones eating crow!

Quite frankly one of the strangest seasons I've tracked... :eek:

I do think the low-latitude ITCZ might have played a role, sending all the waves into the EPAC instead of the Caribbean. Just to show how bizarre everything is, this is the first time where both the NATL and EPAC reached the "T" name in a single season - the EPAC is literally going to have more named storms than the NATL in both October and November during a La Niña!
10 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#4217 Postby skyline385 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:29 am

Half of the Gulf is already below 26C SST from all the cold fronts dropping deep (iirc, last year it was mostly the shelf waters which had cooled down by this time) and it seems the Caribbean has started to cool down as well, I think we are truly done for this season.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#4218 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:44 am

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1457742845243125766

With every passing day, the global cyclone pattern imho becomes even more confusing. I mean, it's not like we had a major volcanic eruption like Krakatoa or Pinatubo occur anytime recently, not to mention it's not just the dead Atlantic that is mind-boggling, it's literally every other basin, WPAC included.
5 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4219 Postby SFLcane » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:45 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1457742845243125766

With every passing day, the global cyclone pattern imho becomes even more confusing. I mean, it's not like we had a major volcanic eruption like Krakatoa or Pinatubo occur anytime recently, not to mention it's not just the dead Atlantic that is mind-boggling, it's literally every other basin, WPAC included.

Yeah, seems like it's a very amplified global pattern. Kinda fluky almost. Now we're getting into the transition season. Whatever it is glad the Atlantic season is over it was one of the most annoying and odd years I have followed.
3 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4220 Postby abajan » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:25 pm

0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”