2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Expert forecasts for 2021 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#81 Postby cycloneye » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:50 am

The Caribbean Sea so far this year is less warm than in 2020. Hopefully, we dont have to deal with monster hurricanes in the Islands because for example, in Puerto Rico there are still homes with blue tarps and the electric grid is still not great after the double hits from Irma and Maria.
4 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Expert forecasts for 2021 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: Crownweather Services is up

#82 Postby aspen » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:59 am

wxman57 wrote:
aspen wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:By “significant,” I assume you mean major hurricanes. If so, then you are definitely correct, as 2018–20 has only seen MH Lorenzo (2019) in the MDR south of 18°N.

Teddy was pretty close, though. It was around the Cat 2/3 border less than a degree north of 18N. We can attribute 2020’s MDR struggles to the state of the ITCZ: rather far north and pumping out huge waves that took a while to consolidate.

Teddy, too, formed in the MDR and quickly moved north and strengthened. It didn't track westward to the Caribbean. If such hostile conditions continue east of the Caribbean, then the eastern islands may get another break this season.

Taking a look at SST anomalies, the eastern Atlantic has a cool anomaly near Africa vs. a warm anomaly last year. Generally, the MDR is cooler so far this year.

http://wxman57.com/images/AtlSSTs.JPG

That’s quite the difference...but didn’t 2020 also have a pre-season stretch with a cooler than normal MDR?
2 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Expert forecasts for 2021 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: Crownweather Services is up

#83 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:51 pm

wxman57 wrote:
aspen wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:By “significant,” I assume you mean major hurricanes. If so, then you are definitely correct, as 2018–20 has only seen MH Lorenzo (2019) in the MDR south of 18°N.

Teddy was pretty close, though. It was around the Cat 2/3 border less than a degree north of 18N. We can attribute 2020’s MDR struggles to the state of the ITCZ: rather far north and pumping out huge waves that took a while to consolidate.

Teddy, too, formed in the MDR and quickly moved north and strengthened. It didn't track westward to the Caribbean. If such hostile conditions continue east of the Caribbean, then the eastern islands may get another break this season.

Taking a look at SST anomalies, the eastern Atlantic has a cool anomaly near Africa vs. a warm anomaly last year. Generally, the MDR is cooler so far this year.

Also, I noticed the GOM is WARMER compared to last year, could we have a Rita-like Hurricane there?
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

Re: 2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#84 Postby ClarCari » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:40 pm

Apologies if my previous post here was lengthy, but I really wanted to have discussion about the above-average SST’s in the Gulf Loop and the East Coast.
Having both of those being super high leads me to believe a higher chance of significant GoM AND NE US Coast impacts in the same season even though it is extremely rare or even unheard of.
Climate changing means “times a changin” to me.
If the MDR is average or same as last year, minus the ITCZ being weird, I would think 2004/2017 type long-trackers are possible, but they don’t become incredibly strong until close to land.....sadly.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#85 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:47 pm

ClarCari wrote:Apologies if my previous post here was lengthy, but I really wanted to have discussion about the above-average SST’s in the Gulf Loop and the East Coast.
Having both of those being super high leads me to believe a higher chance of significant GoM AND NE US Coast impacts in the same season even though it is extremely rare or even unheard of.
Climate changing means “times a changin” to me.
If the MDR is average or same as last year, minus the ITCZ being weird, I would think 2004/2017 type long-trackers are possible, but they don’t become incredibly strong until close to land.....sadly.

A Hurricane becoming very strong near land is the Last Thing anyone what's to see & hear . . .
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

DestinHurricane
Category 4
Category 4

#86 Postby DestinHurricane » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:06 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
aspen wrote:Teddy was pretty close, though. It was around the Cat 2/3 border less than a degree north of 18N. We can attribute 2020’s MDR struggles to the state of the ITCZ: rather far north and pumping out huge waves that took a while to consolidate.

Also, I noticed the GOM is WARMER compared to last year, could we have a Rita-like Hurricane there?

Why specifically a Rita like hurricane? The higher SST near land could suggest a storm that strengthens up to landfall like Michael. If I remember correctly, Rita weakened before landfall.

Many experts are predicting more of a year like 2011 or 2010 with a lot of storms forming in the MDR recurving, that wouldn't really be like Rita.
1 likes   
Destin/Santa Rosa Beach, Florida: Ivan 2004, Dennis 2005, Michael 2018, Sally 2020

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Eta 2020, Many future storms!

THE Ohio State University: :cold:

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Expert forecasts for 2021 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#87 Postby SFLcane » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:40 am

wxman57 wrote:
aspen wrote:

They are cooler thats great but it’s early March. Things quickly turn around with 4-5 months still go before we even look out near the main development region. Unfortunately most of the climate models are focusing the upward motion over Africa during ASO.
0 likes   

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#88 Postby weeniepatrol » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:41 am

0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#89 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:27 pm

weeniepatrol wrote:[url]https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/status/1371455642410618880[url]

:eek:

Looks pretty decent for the EPAC too.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#90 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:33 pm

El Nino or not, I can't remember in recent years that the Atlantic SSTs were actually completely unfavorable for development. Regardless of their state during the spring, unlike the EPAC, I think SST's across the Atlantic will always be sufficient enough to aid hurricane development. The key inhibitors have usually been the strength and positioning of dry air and shear. And those two variables are hard to figure out preseason.
10 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#91 Postby NDG » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:45 am

It's many years since the last time I saw this classic -PDO show up on a SST anomalies map.

5 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#92 Postby SFLcane » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:36 am

NDG wrote:It's many years since the last time I saw this classic -PDO show up on a SST anomalies map.

https://i.imgur.com/V2uTatC.png

Yeah it's the first since 2010-2011 or so I think.
0 likes   

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#93 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:44 am

NDG wrote:It's many years since the last time I saw this classic -PDO show up on a SST anomalies map.

Also -NPMM.
0 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#94 Postby aspen » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:05 am

DorkyMcDorkface wrote:

Also -NPMM.

What are -PDO and -NPMM, and how will they impact this season if they hold?
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#95 Postby NDG » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:10 am

aspen wrote:
DorkyMcDorkface wrote:

Also -NPMM.

It usually means a quiter EPAC season and a more active N Atlantic season.
1 likes   

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#96 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:39 am

aspen wrote:
DorkyMcDorkface wrote:

Also -NPMM.

PDO is Pacific Decadal Oscillation, PMM is Pacific Meridional Mode (or in this case, NPMM is North Pacific Meridional Mode). They do have an (indirect) influence on the Atlantic as they typically correspond to the ENSO state, and also influence EPAC activity as a result. I'll use the two most recent strong ENSO events on the opposite side of the spectrum as an example: 2010-11's Niña and 2015-16's El Niño. I picked Sep. 10th for these charts as it is the peak of the Atlantic season.

For 2010-11 we had a strong -PDO and -NPMM signature which corresponds with the Niña that was in progress at the time:

Regarding the aforementioned influence on the EPAC, this is obviously a very unfavorable look for that basin. Given that high EPAC activity tends to provide strong shear to the Western Atlantic, the lack of said activity thanks to the coolness (relative to average) of the Northeastern Pacific that year helped open the door for a hyperactive Atlantic season (although the record levels of warmth in the Atlantic MDR certainly helped as well).

Likewise, 2015-16's El Niño event had a well-defined positive PDO/NPMM signature. EPAC/CPAC were extremely active that year, so I'm sure you can connect the dots:

As you can probably tell by now both of these can basically serve to reinforce whatever ENSO state is present, although there are times where they can contrast (+PDO/PMM with -ENSO and -PDO/PMM with -ENSO) but these tandems are relatively rare. Since we have -ENSO combined with a -NPMM/PDO signal, signs are pointing towards -ENSO persisting as the state of the NE Pacific will likely help reinforce the current ENSO background state, which will definitely help the Atlantic in that regard.

(apologies if I deviated into ENSO chatter outside of the actual ENSO thread, in this case it's relevant)
9 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#97 Postby SFLcane » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:56 am

NDG wrote:
aspen wrote:
DorkyMcDorkface wrote:Also -NPMM.

It usually means a quiter EPAC season and a more active N Atlantic season.

Yeah Pacific looks fine for now. Atlantic SSTs will determine if it's a busy-ish or extremely busy season probably.
4 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#98 Postby cycloneye » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:26 pm

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#99 Postby aspen » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:27 pm

1999 is the top analog year on Tropical Tidbits for the current SST anomalies. 2010 and 2011 currently remain strong analogues based on the NNME forecasts.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#100 Postby wxman57 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:24 pm

Just saw this video on YouTube. Hypothetical 2021 Atlantic hurricane season. I counted about 44 named storms. Used the entire supplementary list. Two Cat 5s into SE Florida and one Cat 3 into SW Florida peninsula. Uh oh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udh_Jn7nZZs&t=339s
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”