2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#61 Postby cycloneye » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:31 pm

I notice that 2006 is mentioned a lot around here so here is that S2K poll.

2006 S2K Poll
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

Re: 2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#62 Postby ClarCari » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:28 pm

cycloneye wrote:I notice that 2006 is mentioned a lot around here so here is that S2K poll.

2006 S2K Poll

It appears that much of the predictions that season may have been a result of Calamity or Catastrophe effect. Not alot of people thought 2005 would be followed by a below average season. I feel like there were other indicators that people were overlooking even besides the ENSO that showed 2006 was not going to be so active.

I like to think we are better now. :) hehe
Most of the discussion of 2021 having a high chance of being very active are based off of indicators and precedent and there are more indicators and modeling available besides the ENSO this time around that point towards a stronger than normal likelihood of another very active season.

Was there a 2006 Indicators thread from way back when? It may be interesting to see how things looked then compared to now and see what may have been missed besides the ENSO.
4 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#63 Postby cycloneye » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:16 pm

MDR like a thundra. :D but is early. +AMO / +NAO?

https://twitter.com/cyclonicwx/status/1365761779465412608

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#64 Postby SFLcane » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:08 am

Yikes! Season will be here before you know it. :eek:

We will see how sst’s evolve

https://twitter.com/bennollweather/status/1367490264181448712

5 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#65 Postby SFLcane » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:23 am

1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#66 Postby cycloneye » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:01 am

NMME precipitation forecast for ASO shows a dry Caribbean,GOM and part of MDR. Subtropics look humid.

3 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#67 Postby Shell Mound » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:07 am

cycloneye wrote:NMME precipitation forecast for ASO shows a dry Caribbean,GOM and part of MDR. Subtropics look humid.

https://i.imgur.com/kkXslpY.png

https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/status/1369201353780723717

That kind of pattern, ad verbatim, would suggest a lot of activity forming well to the east in the MDR and then curving OTS. Good news, if it persists.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#68 Postby chaser1 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:40 am

Shell Mound wrote:
cycloneye wrote:NMME precipitation forecast for ASO shows a dry Caribbean,GOM and part of MDR. Subtropics look humid.

That kind of pattern, ad verbatim, would suggest a lot of activity forming well to the east in the MDR and then curving OTS. Good news, if it persists.

Right? Or at least a good number of recurves anyway.

If looking at the NMME solely, then a couple possible analogues could be 1981, 2006? Far E. Atlantic appears moist so less inclined to assume the "wave train" shuts off, so perhaps SAL or low to mid level humidity perhaps? Next question then goes to steering. I don't see anything to suggest a significant deviation from 2020 steering that would indicate broadly lower 500mb level heights over the far W. Atlantic/S.E. CONUS region. Right now, there's no current evidence to already suggest, but if playing devil's advocate..... perhaps a slightly weaker and west-shifted Azores High resulting in a season pattern of "split-tracks". One set of tracks recurving over East Central Atlantic with another more troublesome set of tracks being more traditional Cape Verde but quickly gaining latitude remaining primarily north of the Caribbean and moving WNW to NW into higher latitudes of the U.S. Eastern Seaboard. Honestly though, this is a ton of extrapolation from one singular NMME precip forecast for the heart of hurricane season over 5 months away. Plus right now, I'd have a hard time making an argument that prevailing LaNina conditions would result in "unfavorable" upper level winds throughout the Caribbean and GOM lower latitudes. That alone seems to break from that NMME map (with exception of May, June, July which that map does not address). All in all it's early, though I do find it fun to now start watching how the tea leaves (and pollen) begin falling in place over the upcoming months.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#69 Postby aspen » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:25 am

If that precipitation/moisture forecast verifies and the ITCZ is at a similar latitude in ASO 2021 as it was in ASO 2020, that could result in a peak season comparable to 2020: anything in the Caribbean is weak (weaker than Marco or Nana), while the MDR contains long-tracking storms, a mix of those that struggle (Rene) and those that bomb out into hurricanes or majors (Paulette, Teddy). However, if the ITCZ ends up at a more normal/further south latitude with this moisture configuration, we could see some stronger and longer-tracking Cape Verde systems, some potentially tracking into the Caribbean. An already strong storm entering a dry Caribbean would last a lot longer than an AEW or a weak TC. This kind of setup could yield a season that has more quality>quantity compared to 2020 in terms of the types of storms that form; more MDR storms have the opportunity to become stronger than in 2020, even if the Caribbean is not nearly as favorable.

This is all dependent on whether that forecast holds. Since ENSO is most probable to be neutral or even in a La Niña state by ASO, I’m surprised by the drier-than-average forecast for peak season Caribbean. Also, we still have a few months before we pass the Spring Predictability Barrier, so things could change drastically in either direction.
4 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#70 Postby Shell Mound » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:15 am

chaser1 wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:

Personally, I think 1954 and 2011 might make for decent analogues in terms of steering. The central Gulf Coast and New England are my “hotspots.”
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#71 Postby SFLcane » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:40 am

chaser1 wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:

Right? Or at least a good number of recurves anyway.

If looking at the NMME solely, then a couple possible analogues could be 1981, 2006? Far E. Atlantic appears moist so less inclined to assume the "wave train" shuts off, so perhaps SAL or low to mid level humidity perhaps? Next question then goes to steering. I don't see anything to suggest a significant deviation from 2020 steering that would indicate broadly lower 500mb level heights over the far W. Atlantic/S.E. CONUS region. Right now, there's no current evidence to already suggest, but if playing devil's advocate..... perhaps a slightly weaker and west-shifted Azores High resulting in a season pattern of "split-tracks". One set of tracks recurving over East Central Atlantic with another more troublesome set of tracks being more traditional Cape Verde but quickly gaining latitude remaining primarily north of the Caribbean and moving WNW to NW into higher latitudes of the U.S. Eastern Seaboard. Honestly though, this is a ton of extrapolation from one singular NMME precip forecast for the heart of hurricane season over 5 months away. Plus right now, I'd have a hard time making an argument that prevailing LaNina conditions would result in "unfavorable" upper level winds throughout the Caribbean and GOM lower latitudes. That alone seems to break from that NMME map (with exception of May, June, July which that map does not address). All in all it's early, though I do find it fun to now start watching how the tea leaves (and pollen) begin falling in place over the upcoming months.

Yeah that's what I would think - more MDR storms. But then it becomes a question of steering for individual cases.
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#72 Postby Shell Mound » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:02 am

https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/status/1369366623916789765

The NMME accurately showed impacts to the Gulf Coast and the FL peninsula in 2017, five months in advance, based on precipitation shields. This year it is showing the exact opposite at the same lead. This indicates that the model guidance is likely foreseeing a steering regime that favours OTS tracks, all other factors being equal. However, the latest forecast does suggest closer passes to New England than at the same time in 2017, so maybe 1954 and 2011 could prove somewhat analogous to 2021.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#73 Postby cycloneye » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:40 am

NMME failed bigtime in 2017=Irma / Maria.
4 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#74 Postby chaser1 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:07 am

cycloneye wrote:NMME failed bigtime in 2017=Irma / Maria.

If using that tool to suggest that PR was in the "no risk zone", that's 100% Correct.

Did the NMME "generally" suggest genesis and overall track pattern.... i'd say yes. But to take that type of a forecast tool and use it as a literal suggestion where a hurricane "will" or "will not" strike is foolish. I mean c'mon?! For that given year the NMME had the Caribbean clearly in the dryer zone and this may well have been why Franklin, Harvey, Nate, and Phillipe were lesser threats while in the W. Caribbean. Puerto Rico was clearly at the border of where the NMME was predicting the boundary of "dry" and neutral conditions. The most that one might have been able to extrapolate from that NMME forecast in '17 is that it might seem that most activity should remain primarily to the north of Puerto Rico. Just goes to show what difference 100 miles can make though. NO long range forecast tool is that precise (even if broadly accurate for wet/dry conditions for large swaths of the W. Atlantic).
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#75 Postby Shell Mound » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:19 pm

chaser1 wrote:
cycloneye wrote:NMME failed bigtime in 2017=Irma / Maria.

If using that tool to suggest that PR was in the "no risk zone", that's 100% Correct.

Did the NMME "generally" suggest genesis and overall track pattern.... i'd say yes. But to take that type of a forecast tool and use it as a literal suggestion where a hurricane "will" or "will not" strike is foolish. I mean c'mon?! For that given year the NMME had the Caribbean clearly in the dryer zone and this may well have been why Franklin, Harvey, Nate, and Phillipe were lesser threats while in the W. Caribbean. Puerto Rico was clearly at the border of where the NMME was predicting the boundary of "dry" and neutral conditions. The most that one might have been able to extrapolate from that NMME forecast in '17 is that it might seem that most activity should remain primarily to the north of Puerto Rico. Just goes to show what difference 100 miles can make though. NO long range forecast tool is that precise (even if broadly accurate for wet/dry conditions for large swaths of the W. Atlantic).

Exactly. I am only using the NMME to indicate general patterns, not the exact track of every single outlier. For general patterns, the NMME has proven reliable on a number of recent occasions, including in 2017, even if it failed to register the exact location of mean ± axes, owing to the absence of a few “outliers” from certain locations, i.e., Irma and Maria from the northeastern Caribbean. CrownWeather’s analogs are heavily weighted toward EC impacts north of the FL peninsula vs. the GoM or the northwestern Caribbean. 1899, 1996, and 1999 in particular stand out. So his years generally go along with my preliminary outlook, based on the NMME, that 2021 will generally favour mean tracks either OTS or northward along the EC into New England or perhaps the Outer Banks. Something like the Norfolk–Long Island hurricane (1824), Floyd (1999), or Irene (2011) may well be plausible. Maybe one of those storms will impact the Leeward Islands and/or Puerto Rico initially, similarly to Hurricane/Huracán San Ciriaco (1899). But on balance the analogs clearly favour tracks to the north of the Greater Antilles, with one or two impacting the northeastern Caribbean and/or the Bahaman archipelago first before heading toward the upper U.S. East Coast or OTS.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#76 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:24 pm

How are we right now in the Atlantic for indices relative to 2006 at this point? I think that will be brought up still a lot as an analog.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#77 Postby tolakram » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:29 am

This is the indicators thread. Anyone is welcome to start a personal forecast thread and go on record as to how you think the season will progress this year and what you are looking at, rather than filling this thread with a bunch of personal forecasts.
4 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

crownweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#78 Postby crownweather » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:15 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:How are we right now in the Atlantic for indices relative to 2006 at this point? I think that will be brought up still a lot as an analog.

I did take a look at the ONI for 2006 and compared it to this year & to me, the ONI numbers this year are stronger than what we saw from late 2005 into early 2006.

During the NDJ period of 2005-06, we saw roughly a -0.8 ONI as compared to this year, which is -1.2. Now, for DJF 2005-06, the ONI was -0.9 as compared to this year, which is -1.1. All-in-all, the La Nina numbers this year look stronger as compared to 2006. With that said, if you look at the very quiet 1956 season, the ONI numbers were extremely similar to this year, but we still saw a quiet season with 12 NS & a 56.7 ACE.
3 likes   
Rob Lightbown
Crown Weather Services
https://crownweather.com

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Expert forecasts for 2021 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#79 Postby wxman57 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:49 am

aspen wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
If I were to put any area as having less of a threat, it would be the eastern Caribbean from PR to Trinidad. It's very questionable as to whether the MDR will recover this year. It's been quite hostile for the past 3-4 seasons, leading to little in the way of significant storms in the deep tropics south of 18N.

By “significant,” I assume you mean major hurricanes. If so, then you are definitely correct, as 2018–20 has only seen MH Lorenzo (2019) in the MDR south of 18°N.

Teddy was pretty close, though. It was around the Cat 2/3 border less than a degree north of 18N. We can attribute 2020’s MDR struggles to the state of the ITCZ: rather far north and pumping out huge waves that took a while to consolidate.

Teddy, too, formed in the MDR and quickly moved north and strengthened. It didn't track westward to the Caribbean. If such hostile conditions continue east of the Caribbean, then the eastern islands may get another break this season.

Taking a look at SST anomalies, the eastern Atlantic has a cool anomaly near Africa vs. a warm anomaly last year. Generally, the MDR is cooler so far this year.

3 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Expert forecasts for 2021 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: Crownweather Services is up

#80 Postby CyclonicFury » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:48 am

wxman57 wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
If I were to put any area as having less of a threat, it would be the eastern Caribbean from PR to Trinidad. It's very questionable as to whether the MDR will recover this year. It's been quite hostile for the past 3-4 seasons, leading to little in the way of significant storms in the deep tropics south of 18N.

By “significant,” I assume you mean major hurricanes. If so, then you are definitely correct, as 2018–20 has only seen MH Lorenzo (2019) in the MDR south of 18°N.

And Lorenzo quickly moved northward out of the MDR. Storms (hurricanes) are not surviving if they track westward into the Caribbean.

Why do you predict a hostile MDR every year?
2 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”