2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#3341 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:30 am

aspen wrote:If none of the three AOIs currently develop, the unfavorable MJO phase will likely halt development for weeks, and September will have had just 3 NS — lower than every other season of the current active stretch. Sept 2021 would be the weakest since 2016 despite Larry; 2017 had multiple long-trackers while 2018, 2019, and 2020 had other significant storms like Helene, Leslie, Humberto, Jerry, Lorenzo, Paulette, and Sally before or after their highest ACE long-tracker. Mindy was brief and Nicholas, while a hurricane landfall, is a far cry from the other storms I mentioned in both intensity and duration.

If no additional storms form, this would raise several questions: what killed September’s momentum despite climo peak coinciding with a developing Nina and an under-performing Pacific? Could we see a double-peak season like 2016 where both peaks are well before/after the normal peak in mid-September? And does this signal what the 2022 season could be like?

Probably similar to the other years that had an active August. Many of them had a less active September, but a few of them rebounded in Oct
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#3342 Postby hurricanes1234 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:07 am

It seems as though this year is one of those years where intraseasonal variation is a huge factor influencing storms.

I remember reading online that intraseasonal oscillation has varying influences from year to year, with some years being strongly influenced by it and others not so much. I recall how in July, there was a gigantic suppressed MJO that shut down the entire basin for two or three weeks after Elsa and activity didn't pick back up until August, only when the strong enhanced MJO moved in. Now that the MJO is back in its unfavourable phase this month and an unfavourable Kelvin wave is also present, we're seeing the same pattern as we did in July. The difference, of course, is that now we're in the climatological peak of the season so systems are still forming (or trying to form) but compared to mid/late August they haven't been as quick to strengthen or develop. More invests have been struggling than not (especially in the last seven days or so). The strongest storm of September so far was Larry but Larry was plagued throughout its life with a so-so environment and structural problems.

If this is indeed one of the years where intraseasonal variation is a dominant factor, then one should assume that things will become more favourable in a few weeks when the intraseasonal oscillation returns to being enhanced. I would probably expect another burst or two of systems rapidly forming/intensifying in October when the base state improves (similar to mid/late August) but I think the Cape Verde season will be wrapping up soon. Even so, as we've seen, a storm doesn't have to be a Cape Verde storm to cause destruction. I still think this season will end above-average. Hyperactive is looking less likely but above-average is still extremely likely IMO.

Just my two cents of course. :)
5 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#3343 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:18 am

Remember that an unfavorable MJO phase could help Tropical Cyclone development in the Atlantic since there are less storms to compete with each other with the sinking air in place, 2017 is a good example.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#3344 Postby Teban54 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:28 am

hurricanes1234 wrote:It seems as though this year is one of those years where intraseasonal variation is a huge factor influencing storms.

I remember reading online that intraseasonal oscillation has varying influences from year to year, with some years being strongly influenced by it and others not so much. I recall how in July, there was a gigantic suppressed MJO that shut down the entire basin for two or three weeks after Elsa and activity didn't pick back up until August, only when the strong enhanced MJO moved in. Now that the MJO is back in its unfavourable phase this month and an unfavourable Kelvin wave is also present, we're seeing the same pattern as we did in July. The difference, of course, is that now we're in the climatological peak of the season so systems are still forming (or trying to form) but compared to mid/late August they haven't been as quick to strengthen or develop. More invests have been struggling than not (especially in the last seven days or so). The strongest storm of September so far was Larry but Larry was plagued throughout its life with a so-so environment and structural problems.

If this is indeed one of the years where intraseasonal variation is a dominant factor, then one should assume that things will become more favourable in a few weeks when the intraseasonal oscillation returns to being enhanced. I would probably expect another burst or two of systems rapidly forming/intensifying in October when the base state improves (similar to mid/late August) but I think the Cape Verde season will be wrapping up soon. Even so, as we've seen, a storm doesn't have to be a Cape Verde storm to cause destruction. I still think this season will end above-average. Hyperactive is looking less likely but above-average is still extremely likely IMO.

I think this is the answer. I remember in July people expecting the name Fred to at least be used for a weak TS or something, when in reality it waited until August 11 when intraseasonal signals finally returned (Elsa formed on July 1). Then August went bonkers.

I'm expecting something similar to happen in late September or early October. While it would likely be too late for ACE unless a storm pulls a Cuba 1932, it's potentially much worse from a land impact perspective.
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3345 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:50 am

tolakram wrote:It was noted by someone, a tweet maybe, that the jet stream was anomalously far north. I wonder if this actually sets up poorer conditions than expected, even though nina is present. The exciting thing is that we only learn when the unexpected happens, so like a 2013, now we might know what else to look for. Or not. :D

Whatever the case, we still got a 150 mph Gulf CONUS landfall and did get a major MDR hurricane. We are also almost on the 15th NS; not to mention the basin now has a pretty potent +AMO look and we're headed toward a moderate La Nina, so...idk. If this is true then I think it'd be a first. A lackluster Atlantic, EPAC, and WPAC in September is not something you see often.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#3346 Postby aspen » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:56 am

hurricanes1234 wrote:It seems as though this year is one of those years where intraseasonal variation is a huge factor influencing storms.

That answers leads into another question: why are some years more influenced by intraseasonal variation than others? Does it correlate with different ENSO types? Or are they more background processes we still don’t fully understand yet?

If 2021 is and continues to be dictated by intraseasonal oscillations, then the strong -VP surge in the October 10-20th range could yield another spike in activity, like the return to a favorable MJO did in the second half of August.
2 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3347 Postby tolakram » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:04 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
tolakram wrote:It was noted by someone, a tweet maybe, that the jet stream was anomalously far north. I wonder if this actually sets up poorer conditions than expected, even though nina is present. The exciting thing is that we only learn when the unexpected happens, so like a 2013, now we might know what else to look for. Or not. :D

Whatever the case, we still got a 150 mph Gulf CONUS landfall and did get a major MDR hurricane. We are also almost on the 15th NS; not to mention the basin now has a pretty potent +AMO look and we're headed toward a moderate La Nina, so...idk. If this is true then I think it'd be a first. A lackluster Atlantic, EPAC, and WPAC in September is not something you see often.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. It's not some kind of a contest, instead we try to learn each year what indicators are we seeing or missing, and how are things playing out. Nothing is going to take away number of named storms or the 3 major hurricanes we've had, and if October is extremely above normal then perhaps the Active August / tame September has merit.
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3348 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:05 pm

Not saying it will, but if this season does underperform in the end, then I honestly think it should be a topic of immense discussion and re-analysis by scientists. If it were to do so, then I honestly would be very surprised, perhaps even more surprised than 2013 arguably. The Atlantic Nino, +AMO, Ninos 1-4 regions being cooler than average and solidly trending towards La Nina (possibly a moderate one as well), an active WAM, and a warmer than average MDR (as of recently) are all factors that I think are very indicative of an active season in the end. I also would have to think that these factors would overwhelm any negative factors, many of which are typically not looked at by pros and forecasters as a whole due to how short-lived any of their effects may be when in the context of the season as a whole. I mean, we have not had record breaking SAL outbreaks this year unlike 2020, and from my understanding (I hope at least) the THC did not collapse like it did in 2013. And most importantly, why would the jet stream being more north be bad for hurricanes? Is this the first year something like that happened, or were there other notable years that featured such?
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3349 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:11 pm

tolakram wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

Not sure what you are trying to say here. It's not some kind of a contest, instead we try to learn each year what indicators are we seeing or missing, and how are things playing out. Nothing is going to take away number of named storms or the 3 major hurricanes we've had, and if October is extremely above normal then perhaps the Active August / tame September has merit.

Oh yeah I know, I'm not trying to undermine your point. My point is that whatever "ingredients" we are missing still could not prevent the fact that we still had major land impacts, not to mention major hurricanes. Otober is going to be a fun month to watch...
2 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#3350 Postby Hurricaneman » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:18 pm

We’re in a lull right now but as we wind up the month things may get more interesting and especially after the first 5 days of October as the CCKW and MJO become favorable
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3351 Postby tolakram » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:33 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Not saying it will, but if this season does underperform in the end, then I honestly think it should be a topic of immense discussion and re-analysis by scientists. If it were to do so, then I honestly would be very surprised, perhaps even more surprised than 2013 arguably. The Atlantic Nino, +AMO, Ninos 1-4 regions being cooler than average and solidly trending towards La Nina (possibly a moderate one as well), an active WAM, and a warmer than average MDR (as of recently) are all factors that I think are very indicative of an active season in the end. I also would have to think that these factors would overwhelm any negative factors, many of which are typically not looked at by pros and forecasters as a whole due to how short-lived any of their effects may be when in the context of the season as a whole. I mean, we have not had record breaking SAL outbreaks this year unlike 2020, and from my understanding (I hope at least) the THC did not collapse like it did in 2013. And most importantly, why would the jet stream being more north be bad for hurricanes? Is this the first year something like that happened, or were there other notable years that featured such?

Every year is "should be a topic of immense discussion and re-analysis by scientists". I think every year we know a little more than the last, unless it goes exactly as expected.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#3352 Postby SouthFLTropics » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:36 pm

I think something can be said for the seasons getting later and later each year. It used to be unlikely to get a named storm in November and practically unheard of to get one in December. Now it seems to be more of a regular occurrence. I'd venture a guess that the seasons are running about 3 to 4 weeks later than they used to. If that is in fact the case, I would expect early to mid October to be fairly active.
3 likes   
Fourth Generation Floridian...With lots of storm knowledge passed down from my elders...

Personal Storm History: David 79, Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05, Matthew 16, Irma 17

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#3353 Postby Ubuntwo » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:13 pm

aspen wrote:That answers leads into another question: why are some years more influenced by intraseasonal variation than others? Does it correlate with different ENSO types? Or are they more background processes we still don’t fully understand yet?

If 2021 is and continues to be dictated by intraseasonal oscillations, then the strong -VP surge in the October 10-20th range could yield another spike in activity, like the return to a favorable MJO did in the second half of August.

TC activity correlates EXTREMELY well with -VP. Kelvin waves and the MJO modify VP, so they basically steer the patterns of TC formation. Hovmollers like this illustrate it very well:

2021 is a little different from most hurricane seasons in its MJO timing. There is usually an MJO passage around early September, shaping the sharp climo "peak". That peak season surge came about a month early, leading to the crazy August activity we saw.

The shift in timing places unfavorable velocities in September. Which does not mean some magic force pulling the curtain on another 2013. It's just weird timing.

It also doesn't mean a total shutdown of September, depending on CCKW passage (Mindy and Nicholas correspond to a weak Kelvin wave).

The MJO will enter our basin again in mid October, bringing with it a similar spike in TC activity. This will probably be concentrated in the western Caribbean or the Gulf (October climo).
8 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#3354 Postby AlphaToOmega » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:42 pm

If you have any doubts that the rest of September will be active:

-Hurricane Larry, Tropical Storm Mindy, and Hurricane Nicholas formed despite an unfavorable MJO phase
-The ECMWF shows an African Standing Wave for the rest of September (the ECMWF is the most reliable model for intraseasonal variation)
-The ECMWF shows a weak CCKW moving into the basin by late September, allowing for a burst of activity (the ECMWF is the most reliable model for intraseasonal variation)
-There are 3 AoIs in the Atlantic will strong global model and ensemble support despite an unfavorable MJO phase
-The GEFS and ECENS ensembles show a fourth tropical wave emerging off the African coast next week
-Climatology is most favorable in September (climatology is a force that cannot be fought unless there is a really anomalous circumstance)

Unless these change, September will be an active month. I feel like people have so little patience that they write off a month just because AoIs take longer-than-expected to develop.
0 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#3355 Postby CyclonicFury » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:46 pm

AlphaToOmega wrote:If you have any doubts that the rest of September will be active:

-Hurricane Larry, Tropical Storm Mindy, and Hurricane Nicholas formed despite an unfavorable MJO phase
-The ECMWF shows an African Standing Wave for the rest of September (the ECMWF is the most reliable model for intraseasonal variation)
-The ECMWF shows a weak CCKW moving into the basin by late September, allowing for a burst of activity (the ECMWF is the most reliable model for intraseasonal variation)
-There are 3 AoIs in the Atlantic will strong global model and ensemble support despite an unfavorable MJO phase
-The GEFS and ECENS ensembles show a fourth tropical wave emerging off the African coast next week
-Climatology is most favorable in September (climatology is a force that cannot be fought unless there is a really anomalous circumstance)

Unless these change, September will be an active month. I feel like people have so little patience that they write off a month just because AoIs take longer-than-expected to develop.

I think you are clinging too hard to the idea that September was going to be hyperactive. Realistically a 10 named storm September was never likely even if the VP anomaly pattern was ideal. It's not unusual for September to be less active than August in years where August is very active. We've seen 3 storms this month including Larry (3-2-1), but it's possible we don't see another hurricane this month and ACE for the remainder of the month may be lackluster. I wouldn't be surprised if October was more active than normal, though.
2 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#3356 Postby AlphaToOmega » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:51 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:If you have any doubts that the rest of September will be active:

I think you are clinging too hard to the idea that September was going to be hyperactive. Realistically a 10 named storm September was never likely even if the VP anomaly pattern was ideal. It's not unusual for September to be less active than August in years where August is very active. We've seen 3 storms this month including Larry (3-2-1), but it's possible we don't see another hurricane this month and ACE for the remainder of the month may be lackluster. I wouldn't be surprised if October was more active than normal, though.

Each month should be examined individually. An active August does not guarantee an inactive September. What I am seeing from the ECMWF VP charts and ensemble runs shows an active (7+ storms) September. I am also considering climatology, which is most favorable during September. Considering all of these facts, I am still convinced September will be active (7+ storms).
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3357 Postby tolakram » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:54 pm

AlphaToOmega wrote:Each month should be examined individually. An active August does not guarantee an inactive September. What I am seeing from the ECMWF VP charts and ensemble runs shows an active (7+ storms) September. I am also considering climatology, which is most favorable during September. Considering all of these facts, I am still convinced September will be active (7+ storms).

That's a fine opinion to have, but the Euro has not been doing so hot lately. We'll see, need to get to the end and then look back. I think we should question if climatology still applies when we think it should apply, as others have alluded too.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#3358 Postby hurricanes1234 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:58 pm

aspen wrote:

That answers leads into another question: why are some years more influenced by intraseasonal variation than others? Does it correlate with different ENSO types? Or are they more background processes we still don’t fully understand yet?

Found this from NOAA. Not sure if the link works (it's a link to a PDF) but they say that MJO activity tends to be strongest in ENSO-neutral years and weakest during moderate to strong El Niño/La Niña years. But they noted that sometimes there might be exceptions (like in late 2007/early 2008 which had solid La Niña conditions but also strong MJO activity).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/MJO_1page_factsheet.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi7zbGflITzAhVdRzABHZnqCK4QFnoECAMQBg&usg=AOvVaw2LCB_lRsnz0m2mJr5vSMKl
4 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#3359 Postby AlphaToOmega » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:59 pm

tolakram wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:Each month should be examined individually. An active August does not guarantee an inactive September. What I am seeing from the ECMWF VP charts and ensemble runs shows an active (7+ storms) September. I am also considering climatology, which is most favorable during September. Considering all of these facts, I am still convinced September will be active (7+ storms).

That's a fine opinion to have, but the Euro has not been doing so hot lately. We'll see, need to get to the end and then look back. I think we should question if climatology still applies when we think it should apply, as others have alluded too.

From what I have heard, the ECMWF has the best skill for intraseasonal variation.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#3360 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:01 pm

AlphaToOmega wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:

Each month should be examined individually. An active August does not guarantee an inactive September. What I am seeing from the ECMWF VP charts and ensemble runs shows an active (7+ storms) September. I am also considering climatology, which is most favorable during September. Considering all of these facts, I am still convinced September will be active (7+ storms).

Nothing I'm seeing right now points to a hyperactive September. -CCKW and an unfavorable MJO phase are about to hit and last for the next few weeks. That doesn't mean nothing will form obviously, but I think a hyperactive 7+ named storm September is highly unlikely at this point. Late August and early September was the active phase this year, now late September is is the less favorable phase, which means October will likely be a favorable phase again. My guess is that the rest of September will not have a whole lot, followed by a dangerous burst of activity sometime in October.
4 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”