2021 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2021 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

#1561 Postby cycloneye » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:39 am

Wampadawg wrote:Is the 94L thread locked?

Is open.
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=122258&p=2941650#p2941650
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1562 Postby cycloneye » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:09 pm

4 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#1563 Postby aspen » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:24 pm

As noted a few weeks ago, the GFS is having a lot of difficulty developing anything in the MDR compared to the west Atlantic, or at the very least being consistent about it. It has developed 94L and the Bahamas systems for the last few runs, but has been flip-flopping with the 0/20 AOI.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Kohlecane
Category 2
Category 2

#1564 Postby Kohlecane » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:46 pm

aspen wrote:As noted a few weeks ago, the GFS is having a lot of difficulty developing anything in the MDR compared to the west Atlantic, or at the very least being consistent about it. It has developed 94L and the Bahamas systems for the last few runs, but has been flip-flopping with the 0/20 AOI.

yeah my thoughts exactly, ensembles with be our friend it seems for MDR/CV atm although we will see how the Euro OP does
1 likes   
Once I see the REDS and GREENS Converge on a Base Velocity. ... I'm There!!

This is NOT an Official Forecast....Just my Opinion. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
HIGHLIGHTS : '13 El Reno Tornado : 2013 Storm Chaser Tour, Joaquin; SC flood event, Matthew '16, Lowcountry Snow storm Jan '18

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#1565 Postby otowntiger » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:49 pm

So I’m guessing, without even looking that the models have backed off of the development of the African waves based on the fact this thread is so dead, lol.
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#1566 Postby Teban54 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:53 pm

otowntiger wrote:So I’m guessing, without even looking that the models have backed off of the development of the African waves based on the fact this thread is so dead, lol.

The low rider wave is in its own thread with decent model support (except GFS).

Some EPS members hint at another TC from the wave behind the low rider, but it's in la la land and at this moment it seems to quickly recurve, so understandably it's not getting enough interest yet.
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1567 Postby toad strangler » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:09 pm

otowntiger wrote:So I’m guessing, without even looking that the models have backed off of the development of the African waves based on the fact this thread is so dead, lol.

Wow, lazy dude lol
1 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#1568 Postby sma10 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:29 pm

Shell Mound wrote:
sma10 wrote:
SFLcane wrote:
Wait, according to you This season was going to underperform yet we have had 3 majors already. Enough with the down casting it’s really tiring and getting old frankly,

And let's not forget the famous "given the lack of CV threats, it looks extremely unlikely the CONUS will be threatened by a Major" prediction.

And then Ida struck 5 days later.

I consider “CV” systems to be cyclones that become depressions or stronger while over the MDR. Technically, Ida was not a classic CV-type system, per definition.

Ida was not a CV system, and that was exactly my point.

Since you were of the belief that the US was highly unlikely to be hit by a CV system this season, you made a very broad (and incorrect) generalized statement that the US was basically protected from being hit by a major, completely disregarding the very real threat of non-CV systems
7 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#1569 Postby Shell Mound » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:37 pm

sma10 wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:
sma10 wrote:
And let's not forget the famous "given the lack of CV threats, it looks extremely unlikely the CONUS will be threatened by a Major" prediction.

And then Ida struck 5 days later.

I consider “CV” systems to be cyclones that become depressions or stronger while over the MDR. Technically, Ida was not a classic CV-type system, per definition.

Since you were of the belief that the US was highly unlikely to be hit by a CV system this season, you made a very broad (and incorrect) generalized statement that the US was basically protected from being hit by a major, completely disregarding the very real threat of non-CV systems

If I recall correctly, I stated that most Category-4+ landfalls on the CONUS are associated with CV-type systems, so I assumed that the U.S. would be more likely to escape Category-4+ impacts in 2021, owing to the projected absence of landfalls associated with CV-type systems. Obviously, I was incorrect, and Ida ended up being one of the costliest storms in American history. Ironically, a -AMO cycle may make cases such as Ida’s more likely, as a higher proportion of the Category-4+ impacts that do occur would be more likely to be associated with non-CV systems during a long-term -AMO cycle, given that the MDR tends to produce more long-tracking majors during a +AMO than a -AMO. However, climatologically speaking, I did note that most Category-4+ impacts on the CONUS since 1851 were associated with CV-type systems, though obviously this did not render “homegrown” Category-4+ impacts impossible.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1570 Postby toad strangler » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:46 pm

Shell Mound wrote:
sma10 wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:I consider “CV” systems to be cyclones that become depressions or stronger while over the MDR. Technically, Ida was not a classic CV-type system, per definition.

If I recall correctly, I stated that most Category-4+ landfalls on the CONUS are associated with CV-type systems, so I assumed that the U.S. would be more likely to escape Category-4+ impacts in 2021, owing to the projected absence of landfalls associated with CV-type systems. Obviously, I was incorrect, and Ida ended up being one of the costliest storms in American history. Ironically, a -AMO cycle may make cases such as Ida’s more likely, as a higher proportion of the Category-4+ impacts that do occur would be more likely to be associated with non-CV systems during a long-term -AMO cycle, given that the MDR tends to produce more long-tracking majors during a +AMO than a -AMO. However, climatologically speaking, I did note that most Category-4+ impacts on the CONUS since 1851 were associated with CV-type systems, though obviously this did not render “homegrown” Category-4+ impacts impossible.

You hedged climo was bulletproof and lost.
5 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1571 Postby Blown Away » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:23 pm

12z EURO decent shift N days 7-10 and looks like whatever develops will stay well N of Caribbean and be far enough N to miss CONUS and take a Larry type track.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#1572 Postby LarryWx » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:08 pm

Blown Away wrote:12z EURO decent shift N days 7-10 and looks like whatever develops will stay well N of Caribbean and be far enough N to miss CONUS and take a Larry type track.

Imo, the difference is that with Larry it was a pretty easy call for a well OTS recurve due to the unanimous prog for a strong NE US trough vs with this one where there is no strong trough progged at least yet.
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#1573 Postby sma10 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:41 pm

LarryWx wrote:
Blown Away wrote:12z EURO decent shift N days 7-10 and looks like whatever develops will stay well N of Caribbean and be far enough N to miss CONUS and take a Larry type track.

Imo, the difference is that with Larry it was a pretty easy call for a well OTS recurve due to the unanimous prog for a strong NE US trough vs with this one where there is no strong trough progged at least yet.

Also Larry, isn't the 12z OP quite a bit further north than the ensembles?
0 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#1574 Postby sma10 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:46 pm

toad strangler wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:
sma10 wrote:Ida was not a CV system, and that was exactly my point.

Also, what are the actual stats on Cat 4+ US landfalls? Are "most" CV systems? Camille, Michael, Ida and Labor Day weren't. Andrew was (per se) but was a relative non entity until approach to the Bahamas. Frankly, homegrown seems proportionally a greater risk then long-trackers
1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#1575 Postby LarryWx » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:51 pm

sma10 wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

Also Larry, isn't the 12z OP quite a bit further north than the ensembles?

Yes although even with that most of the 12Z EPS members still did recurve well east of the CONUS.

Regardless of what the 12Z Euro/EPS showed, there are lots of moving parts and we’re speculating about something two weeks out in this complex setup. You’d probably just about have to favor a recurve east of the CONUS but that’s about all one can say right now as there’s too much uncertainty with the many moving parts (93L, possible Bahamas low, abd the Typhoon among other things) plus the very warm western Atlantic and La Niña both favoring a stubborn WAR.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#1576 Postby Shell Mound » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:25 am

sma10 wrote:
toad strangler wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:If I recall correctly, I stated that most Category-4+ landfalls on the CONUS are associated with CV-type systems, so I assumed that the U.S. would be more likely to escape Category-4+ impacts in 2021, owing to the projected absence of landfalls associated with CV-type systems. Obviously, I was incorrect, and Ida ended up being one of the costliest storms in American history. Ironically, a -AMO cycle may make cases such as Ida’s more likely, as a higher proportion of the Category-4+ impacts that do occur would be more likely to be associated with non-CV systems during a long-term -AMO cycle, given that the MDR tends to produce more long-tracking majors during a +AMO than a -AMO. However, climatologically speaking, I did note that most Category-4+ impacts on the CONUS since 1851 were associated with CV-type systems, though obviously this did not render “homegrown” Category-4+ impacts impossible.

Also, what are the actual stats on Cat 4+ US landfalls? Are "most" CV systems? Camille, Michael, Ida and Labor Day weren't. Andrew was (per se) but was a relative non entity until approach to the Bahamas. Frankly, homegrown seems proportionally a greater risk then long-trackers

Since 1851, thirty-one tropical cyclones have made landfall on the CONUS as Category 4s or stronger, including this year’s Ida. Of these, nineteen (~61%), or somewhat fewer than two-thirds of the total, became depressions or stronger while in the MDR. These were Storm #5 (1886), Storm #7 (1898), Storm #1 (1900), Storm #2 (1915), Storm #6 (1916), Storm #7 (1926), Storm #4 (1928), Storm #9 (1945), Storm #4 (1947), Storm #2 (1949), Hazel (1954), Donna (1960), Betsy (1965), Hugo (1989), Andrew (1992), Charley (2004), Harvey (2017), Irma (2017), and Laura (2020). So a majority of Category-4+ landfalls on the CONUS are indeed associated with CV-type systems that became depressions or stronger while in the MDR. However, more than a third of the total were associated with non-CV systems that originated outside the MDR, including the four examples that you mentioned.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

SteveM
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1577 Postby SteveM » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:17 am

Shell Mound wrote:

Proportionally more cases like Ida does not mean that cases like Ida 'become more likely'.
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#1578 Postby Shell Mound » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:32 am

SteveM wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:

Proportionally more cases like Ida does not mean that cases like Ida 'become more likely'.

By “more likely,” I meant that cases like Ida’s would form a higher proportion of all Category-4+ impacts on the CONUS, relative to those of CV origin.
0 likes   

Spacecoast
Category 2
Category 2

#1579 Postby Spacecoast » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:22 pm

FWIW, here is the NASA 10-day model.

I understand (from others) that it is not very reliable compared to others.
But I do like their visualizations, and graphics..
0z NASA / GMAO:
0 likes   

StPeteMike
Category 1
Category 1

#1580 Postby StPeteMike » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:23 pm

16z GFS has the wave expected to come off Africa Late Monday/Early Tuesday on a due west course heading towards the islands. Don’t think it’s impossible if it keeps south enough and avoids any weakness in the ridge. Will be something to watch.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”