2021 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

#1521 Postby Shell Mound » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:47 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:So much for those people who said no Cape Verde threats for the rest of the season

Based on climatology/timing, CV threats to the CONUS are likely finished, but this upcoming system could very well impact the Islands, including Bermuda.

The CV threats are not over! There has been October Cape Verde Hurricanes before! (Joan-Miriam 1988)

I was only referring to the CONUS. Most CV landfalls on the CONUS occur on or before 20 September. However, CV systems can still affect the Islands in October.
1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1522 Postby Hammy » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:52 pm

AlphaToOmega wrote:

So much for those people who said no Cape Verde threats for the rest of the season

At the same time it looks like a lot of the waves coming off too far north is still stunting the MDR--we're not seeing the storm train like we've seen in other seasons.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#1523 Postby AlphaToOmega » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:53 pm

Hammy wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:

So much for those people who said no Cape Verde threats for the rest of the season

At the same time it looks like a lot of the waves coming off too far north is still stunting the MDR--we're not seeing the storm train like we've seen in other seasons.

Rene came off at a high latitude
0 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#1524 Postby sma10 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:58 pm

Shell Mound wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:

Based on climatology/timing, CV threats to the CONUS are likely finished, but this upcoming system could very well impact the Islands, including Bermuda.

This is an absurd take. There are many examples of CV waves that have rolled off the African coast in mid Sept and struck the US
0 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#1525 Postby sma10 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:02 pm

SFLcane wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:Gloria and Georges would like a word

There are quite a few TUTTs and shortwaves passing through on the 12Z EC guidance, so there is a lot of opportunity for a N turn beyond the Islands.

Wait, according to you This season was going to underperform yet we have had 3 majors already. Enough with the down casting it’s really tiring and getting old frankly,

And let's not forget the famous "given the lack of CV threats, it looks extremely unlikely the CONUS will be threatened by a Major" prediction.

And then Ida struck 5 days later.
5 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#1526 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:04 pm

sma10 wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:So much for those people who said no Cape Verde threats for the rest of the season

This is an absurd take. There are many examples of CV waves that have rolled off the African coast in mid Sept and struck the US

Also I know it is not a part of the CONUS, but let’s not forget about the US territory Puerto Rico, right? Storms at this time of the year could very well impact the island (especially as we saw with Maria), and I just don’t think we should focus solely on whether or not the CONUS will be hit. Other land masses, especially the Lesser Antilles and Puerto Rico, have people, and we should still feel concern for them.
6 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1527 Postby GeneratorPower » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:18 pm

Just a reminder that browsing the forum is MUCH nicer when you add certain posters to the "Ignore List". To do it, go to that user's profile and click "add foe". Their posts will be hidden and replaced with a placeholder saying their username and the fact they are on ignore list. Try it out today!
7 likes   

crownweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1528 Postby crownweather » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:20 pm

sma10 wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Two that I can think of off the top of my head are the 1938 Long Island, New England hurricane on September 9th and the second one, Hazel I would arg was from an African wave that waited to develop until just east of the Lesser Antilles. Hazel formed on October 5th.
5 likes   
Rob Lightbown
Crown Weather Services
https://crownweather.com

Spacecoast
Category 2
Category 2

#1529 Postby Spacecoast » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:26 pm

Just out of curiosity, (please don't flame me), using the 360hr 12z Euro ensembles provided by Larrywx, SFLcane,
I plotted all modern era storms <992mb crossing within 340nm of 25N, 65W.
This puts the range box 20-30N, 60-71W (the approx. euro ensemble mean @360rs, perhaps a bit west of mean).

Strictly climatology, I have no idea where this storm is going, and will not try to guess)
For both Sept, and Oct ,out of 88 storms, ~15% strike CONUS. Jeane, Francis, and Hugo are among these:

For only October, out of 31 storms, 2 strike CONUS, (1 if you exclude Judith, which came from the Caribbean)

After last years experience with climatology, I draw absolutely no conclusions from this. None whatsoever.
Last edited by Spacecoast on Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1530 Postby toad strangler » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:27 pm

The 12z Euro and 18z GFS are in good agreement on a coastal GOM TX storm in the short term but vastly different way out E in the MDR.
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1531 Postby toad strangler » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:31 pm

Spacecoast wrote:Just out of curiosity, (please don't flame me), using the 360hr 12z Euro ensembles provided by Larrywx, SFLcane,
I plotted all modern era storms <992mb crossing within 340nm of 25N, 65W.
This puts the range box 20-30N, 60-71W (the approx. euro ensemble mean @360rs, perhaps a bit west of mean).

Strictly climatology, I have no idea where this storm is going, and will not try to guess)
For both Sept, and Oct ,out of 88 storms, ~15% strike CONUS:

For only October, out of 31 storms, 2 strike CONUS, (1 if you exclude Judith, which came from the Caribbean)

After last years experience with climatology, I draw absolutely no conclusions from this. None whatsoever.

October climo significantly favors storm origins further W in the basin
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#1532 Postby Teban54 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:55 pm

crownweather wrote:
sma10 wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:Based on climatology/timing, CV threats to the CONUS are likely finished, but this upcoming system could very well impact the Islands, including Bermuda.

Couldn't agree more. Two that I can think of off the top of my head are the 1938 Long Island, New England hurricane on September 9th and the second one, Hazel I would arg was from an African wave that waited to develop until just east of the Lesser Antilles. Hazel formed on October 5th.

I also believe Maria might have hit the Carolinas if Jose didn't stay offshore the Northeast for so long. IIRC one of the NHC 5-day forecasts was showing a slight west turn at that latitude.
0 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#1533 Postby IcyTundra » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:03 pm

crownweather wrote:
sma10 wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:Based on climatology/timing, CV threats to the CONUS are likely finished, but this upcoming system could very well impact the Islands, including Bermuda.

1898 Georgia hurricane also hit in October. https://coast.noaa.gov/hurricanes/#map= ... UiOnRydWV9
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#1534 Postby LarryWx » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:24 pm

otowntiger wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:

So are we now certain there will be a Cape Verde threat? Is this based on just one model run?

Of course not...nothing even close to certainty of another CV threat. It is just a possibility, which would always be the case this early. With it being La Nina(ish) ENSO, that possibility is somewhat above the average threat level because a higher % of CV storms make it to the western basin in La Nina vs other ENSO. That doesn't mean it is necessarily likely that there will be another CV threat. After all, it is getting pretty late. If we're talking CONUS, it will be at least another week (say 9/17 and probably 9/20+) before one could possibly threaten. By 9/20, a large majority of CV storms in history have already hit the CONUS. That being said, there are a decent number of notable exceptions of storms forming E of 50W and hitting the CONUS 9/20+ with more in La Nina/cold neutral vs other ENSO phases. So, the area east of 50W still bears watching for sure!

Also, the chance depends on one's definition of a "CV threat" as the meaning of that phrase is subject to interpretation. And remember that "threat" could still mean a close miss or could even turn into a not so close miss.
4 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Spacecoast
Category 2
Category 2

#1535 Postby Spacecoast » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:28 pm

12Z ECMF Ens.

18z GEFS:

Last edited by Spacecoast on Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1536 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:48 pm

Shell Mound wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

The CV threats are not over! There has been October Cape Verde Hurricanes before! (Joan-Miriam 1988)

I was only referring to the CONUS. Most CV landfalls on the CONUS occur on or before 20 September. However, CV systems can still affect the Islands in October.

How about Hugo, only one of the most famous CV systems? Not sure where you are getting your stats from? It's flat out rare for ANY CV system to hit the mainland US.

Here's the link: https://coast.noaa.gov/hurricanes/#map=2.59/3.24/-16&search=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

I used the euro forecast point at 144 hours, which is probably way off but more accurate than 240.
5 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#1537 Postby LarryWx » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:15 pm

18Z EPS just out and is even more active as well as further W at 144 than the 12Z at 150
3 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#1538 Postby eastcoastFL » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:28 pm

Shell Mound wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:

It’s only sept 10
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#1539 Postby LarryWx » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:28 pm

tolakram wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:The CV threats are not over! There has been October Cape Verde Hurricanes before! (Joan-Miriam 1988)

How about Hugo, only one of the most famous CV systems? Not sure where you are getting your stats from? It's flat out rare for ANY CV system to hit the mainland US.

https://i.imgur.com/3lGozW1.png

Here's the link: https://coast.noaa.gov/hurricanes/#map=2.59/3.24/-16&search=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

I used the euro forecast point at 144 hours, which is probably way off but more accurate than 240.

He said, “Most CV landfalls on the CONUS occur on or before 20 September.”

Depending on how one interprets the word “most” as well as “CV”, that can be considered an accurate statement if it doesn’t mean “almost all”. If when he says “most” he just means well over 50%, he’s right. I suspect that’s what he means. But if he’s saying it is like 98%+, he’s not right. I think some here think he means like 98% or almost all. If we’re talking about those that became a TD+ E of 50N, I’m roughly guessing that it is more like 80-85% of CV LFs occurred by 9/20. That qualifies as “most” to me. That doesn’t at all mean the Conus can come even close to assuming we’re in the clear because we’re nowhere near that, especially in La Niña! Keep in mind that I had said in late August that I thought the US was pretty safe from a CV in the first half of this month but I also said that that wasn’t the case for the 2nd half, which is clearly up in the air even if it isn’t actually “likely” one will hit then. It is far above a zero chance I’d say.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1540 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:03 pm

LarryWx wrote: He said, “Most CV landfalls on the CONUS occur on or before 20 September.”

Depending on how one interprets the word “most” as well as “CV”, that can be considered an accurate statement if it doesn’t mean “almost all”. If when he says “most” he just means well over 50%, he’s right. I suspect that’s what he means. But if he’s saying it is like 98%+, he’s not right. I think some here think he means like 98% or almost all. If we’re talking about those that became a TD+ E of 50N, I’m roughly guessing that it is more like 80-85% of CV LFs occurred by 9/20. That qualifies as “most” to me. That doesn’t at all mean the Conus can come even close to assuming we’re in the clear because we’re nowhere near that, especially in La Niña! Keep in mind that I had said in late August that I thought the US was pretty safe from a CV in the first half of this month but I also said that that wasn’t the case for the 2nd half, which is clearly up in the air even if it isn’t actually “likely” one will hit then. It is far above a zero chance I’d say.

Based on how many storms? There's very few that have hit the US, so how can one be confident in any metric other than it gets less likely as the season progresses? To slap a date on it, as if we have enough examples to be confident, is flat out wrong IMO.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”