Big ones for 2021

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
aspen
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Big ones for 2021

#21 Postby aspen » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:56 pm

I kinda want Peter to be a big one, solely to see all the dumb Gen Z Peter Griffin memes that would come from it existing.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

BadLarry95
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#22 Postby BadLarry95 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:41 am

aspen wrote:I kinda want Peter to be a big one, solely to see all the dumb Gen Z Peter Griffin memes that would come from it existing.

Satellite loop starts: Peter starts singing The Bird is the Word

Also if Bill, Henri, Julian, Mindy, or Sam get retired;

Brian, Herbert, Joe, Meg, Stewie.

Family Guy characters Ida (quagmires dad) and of course Peter are already there
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:25 am

So it looks like the guesses for Ida aged like wine; additionally, Grace and Larry ended up being quite formidable but not as deadly and costly as Ida. Now that we are a bit after the halfway point, I am going to guess what the big one(s) will be for the rest of the season among the remaining names. I personally think Victor will be a classic October monster and become the first V storm to get its name retired.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby aspen » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:55 am

Here’s how things have gone so far. Bolder storms are “Big Ones” in one way or another.

Ana: weak pre-season TS

Bill: respectable but harmless early season TS

Claudette: minor TS impacts

Danny: pathetic

Elsa: noteworthy impacts in the Caribbean and Florida as a weak hurricane but not retirement-worthy

Fred: $1 billion TS landfall in Florida

Grace: 110 kt landfall in Veracruz after causing rain and mudslides in earthquake-ravaged Haiti

Henri: weak hurricane peak, landfall in New England but not nearly as impactful as feared

Ida: catastrophic impacts as a 130 kt Cat 4 in Louisiana and as a trough-enhanced extratropical system in PA/NJ/NY/CT/RI/MA

Julian: a huge disappointment; could’ve been an open Atlantic Cat 2/3

Kate: pathetic

Larry: huge ACE maker, became the first hurricane to strike Newfoundland since Igor

Mindy: pathetic and short lived with minor impacts

Nicholas: weak hurricane landfall in Texas but not that bad

Also, someone said that Chanthu could be a Big One in the WPac, and they were right.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby Teban54 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:59 am

aspen wrote:Here’s how things have gone so far. Bolder storms are “Big Ones” in one way or another.

Ana: weak pre-season TS

Bill: respectable but harmless early season TS

Claudette: minor TS impacts

Danny: pathetic

Elsa: noteworthy impacts in the Caribbean and Florida as a weak hurricane but not retirement-worthy

Fred: $1 billion TS landfall in Florida

Grace: 110 kt landfall in Veracruz after causing rain and mudslides in earthquake-ravaged Haiti

Henri: weak hurricane peak, landfall in New England but not nearly as impactful as feared

Ida: catastrophic impacts as a 130 kt Cat 4 in Louisiana and as a trough-enhanced extratropical system in PA/NJ/NY/CT/RI/MA

Julian: a huge disappointment; could’ve been an open Atlantic Cat 2/3

Kate: pathetic

Larry: huge ACE maker, became the first hurricane to strike Newfoundland since Igor

Mindy: pathetic and short lived with minor impacts

Nicholas: weak hurricane landfall in Texas but not that bad

Also, someone said that Chanthu could be a Big One in the WPac, and they were right.

I never realized Fred was a billion dollar storm. Looks like that's the new normal for US landfalling storms now.
0 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#26 Postby Astromanía » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:30 am

Why the US always lose such big amounts of money with tropical systems compared to other countries?
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:50 am

Astromanía wrote:Why the US always lose such big amounts of money with tropical systems compared to other countries?

The US is one of the richest countries in the world, but it also happen to be that much of the coasts of the Eastern Seaboard and Gulf are very populated, so a major Hurricane landfall in the US usually hits at least some medium sized city, and this is obviously proves to be quite costly at least.
4 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby cheezyWXguy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:01 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
Astromanía wrote:Why the US always lose such big amounts of money with tropical systems compared to other countries?

The US is one of the richest countries in the world, but it also happen to be that much of the coasts of the Eastern Seaboard and Gulf are very populated, so a major Hurricane landfall in the US usually hits at least some medium sized city, and this is obviously proves to be quite costly at least.

This. And while our cost tolls are high, our death tolls are considerably lower than most other countries, which generally proves the efficacy of our expensive infrastructure and building codes. Would gladly take a $100bil damage toll in the US over a 100,000 death toll in Bangladesh any day.
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby Shell Mound » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:15 pm

Inflation is much higher in the U.S. than in other countries, so even a relatively weak storm can easily generate surprisingly high costs, in the postmodern era.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#30 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:02 pm

Shell Mound wrote:

Inflation is much higher in the U.S. than in other countries, so even a relatively weak storm can easily generate surprisingly high costs, in the postmodern era.

It's not inflation, it's building near a coast and then the expense to fix things when a hurricane hits. Where did you get the stat that US was one of the highest?

Here's data, filter pre-pandemic.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/FP.CPI.TOTL.ZG?end=2019&most_recent_value_desc=false&start=1960

We were at 1.7% prior to the pandemic, and should fall back below 2 once prices and supply chains stabilize.
5 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby Hammy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:00 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:

Over a quarter of this was in a single county in North Carolina from flash-flooding. Has nothing to do with population density or land value being higher, but (similar to what happened in Tennessee) increasing incidences of extreme rainfall.

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/2021/09/08/federal-disaster-declared-tropical-storm-fred-western-north-carolina-fema-aid/5773499001/

Haywood County Board of Commissioners Chair Kevin Ensley told the Citizen Times Aug. 19 that damage in Cruso alone came to $300 million with 225 structures destroyed, and nearby Clyde had about $18 million in damage.
2 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby aspen » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:46 am

Whoever said Odette was still right, because Rai’s Philippines name is Odette and will likely get retired.
1 likes   

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby mrbagyo » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:02 am

mrbagyo wrote:For Atlantic - I'll take Kate & Mindy
For WPAC - my money's on Chanthu, Malou, Nyatoh & Rai

I got zero points for the Atlantic
Got 50% hit on WPAC (Chanthu & Rai)
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC, NHC and NWS products.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:20 pm

mrbagyo wrote:

Nyatoh was a super typhoon.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#35 Postby AnnularCane » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:09 pm

AnnularCane wrote:The possibilities for me this year for now are Elsa, Ida (yes, the I storm again), Leisure Suit Larry, Odette, and possibly Rose.

Well, I guess I was right about Ida anyway! :blow:

Would Larry possibly count as a big one?
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby mrbagyo » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:15 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:
mrbagyo wrote:

Nyatoh was a super typhoon.

i though the thread is about TCs that would do something significant impact wise (Nyatoh was a fish).
anyway, if it's solely for intensity then wth, i got 75% at WPAC
I'm nostradamus now
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC, NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby aspen » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:50 am

AnnularCane wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:The possibilities for me this year for now are Elsa, Ida (yes, the I storm again), Leisure Suit Larry, Odette, and possibly Rose.

Well, I guess I was right about Ida anyway! :blow:

Would Larry possibly count as a big one?

It didn’t impact anyone significantly but it was a Big One for weather trackers, so I guess it counts. It was also the second-biggest ACE maker in the Atlantic this year and #4 worldwide.

Odette also kinda counts because it’s the Philippines name for Rai, which is definitely getting retired after killing over 100 people and causing hundreds of millions in damages.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”