2021 TCRs

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 TCR's: TS Bill is up

#21 Postby Ubuntwo » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:12 pm

cycloneye wrote:TS Bill report is up.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=121883&p=2906700#p2906700

Looks like peak has been boosted from 50kt to 55kt. Pressure from 998 to 992.
0 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 TCR's: TS Bill is up

#22 Postby aspen » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:18 pm

Ubuntwo wrote:
cycloneye wrote:TS Bill report is up.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=121883&p=2906700#p2906700

Looks like peak has been boosted from 50kt to 55kt. Pressure from 998 to 992.

Lol I said in my earlier post that Bill wouldn’t get any adjustments, and less than 24 hours later the NHC proved me wrong
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 TCR's

#23 Postby Teban54 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:20 am

aspen wrote:Here are all the post-season TCR adjustments I think are possible so far, based on what other users and pro mets said during the storm’s lifetime and what was observed:

Updates:
- Sam might see downward adjustments in intensity for the past few days since it collapsed. NHC seems to be a bit generous during Sam's restrengthening phase and they are sometimes not even supported by recon. I could see a -5 kt change to some, if not most, of the advisories.
- Peter might be officially recognized as having regenerated recently. It has been firing convection at times but they seem to be on and off. Would be borderline either way.
3 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:57 am

aspen wrote:Here are all the post-season TCR adjustments I think are possible so far, based on what other users and pro mets said during the storm’s lifetime and what was observed:

My personal intimations and/or suggestions:

Claudette: controversially, remove from database
Danny: no change
Elsa: downgrade → TS near Barbados (H-force winds were elevated; see this), remove H status in Gulf
Fred: remove TS status while over Caribbean
Grace: delay TS stage, ↑ MSW at LF on Yucatán from 70 → 80 kt
Henri: retain peak, but shorten time spent as a H
Ida: ↑ Cuban MSW from 70 → 75 kt, retain peak of 130 kt, adjust Louisianan MSW ↓ to 115 kt (reasoning)
Kate: ↓ peak MSW → 35 kt
Julian: no change
Larry: ↓ peak MSW → 105 kt, remove much of its time spent as a MH
Mindy: ↑ MSW at LF → 50 kt
Nicholas: ↓ peak MSW → 55 kt (recon never supported H status, 66-kt observation at Matagorda was likely transient)
Odette: remove from database
Peter: ↓ peak MSW → 40 kt
Rose: ↓ peak MSW → 40 kt
Sam: ↑ MSW to 125 kt at 06:00 UTC on 25 September, ↑ peak MSW → 145 kt, reduce all “official” intensities thereafter
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby Teban54 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:10 pm

Shell Mound wrote:

Elsa: downgrade → TS near Barbados (H-force winds were elevated; see this), remove H status in Gulf
Ida: ↑ Cuban MSW from 70 → 75 kt, retain peak of 130 kt, adjust Louisianan MSW ↓ to 115 kt (reasoning)
Nicholas: ↓ peak MSW → 55 kt (recon never supported H status, 66-kt observation at Matagorda was likely transient)
Sam: ↑ MSW to 125 kt at 06:00 UTC on 25 September, ↑ peak MSW → 145 kt, reduce all “official” intensities thereafter

No offense, but are you just trying too hard to argue that every landfalling storm needs to have its landfall intensity downgraded (Laura too)?
9 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#26 Postby DioBrando » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:32 pm

Teban54 wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:

No offense, but are you just trying too hard to argue that every landfalling storm needs to have its landfall intensity downgraded (Laura too)?

I was just about to write the same thing acutally
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:36 pm

Teban54 wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:

It doesn't matter how Nicholas produces Cat 1 winds at sea level for a minute. The fact that it did means that it was indeed a hurricane.
Also that 149mph sustained winds recorded past landfall for Ida support 130 knots for landfall.
2 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:37 pm

Shell Mound wrote:

I'd like to see your reasoning for all of those downgrades. It seems like you're just randomly downgrading things, even though nothing actually supports a downgrade.
9 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby CyclonicFury » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:47 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:
Teban54 wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:My personal intimations and/or suggestions:

It doesn't matter how Nicholas produces Cat 1 winds at sea level for a minute. The fact that it did means that it was indeed a hurricane.
Also that 149mph sustained winds recorded past landfall for Ida support 130 knots for landfall.

Not to mention, recon did find a peak 850mb flight level wind of 80 kt, which using an 80% reduction (typical for that level), supports 64 kt. That mission also found a peak SFMR wind of 63 kt. Winds were increasing on each pass before recon left, as well. Nicholas has a pretty clear cut case for a 65 kt intensity, IMO.
6 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby aspen » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:53 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:
Teban54 wrote:

There has been debate over whether or not the 149mph measurement counts as surface sustained winds, because the vessel they were recorded on was near that 10m defining boundary. However, the 170+ mph gust from the same vessel suggests there were 130 kt surface winds. Winds in the NE quadrant during a center pass about 1-2 hours before landfall also supported a peak of 130-135 kt, and they were multiple instances of FL winds exceeding 137 kt in the last few hours before landfall.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#31 Postby MarioProtVI » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:55 pm

Shell Mound wrote:

Claudette was a TC off the east coast, Elsa was clearly a hurricane in the eastern Caribbean/western MDR, there was recon support for TS Fred in the Caribbean, data clearly supported 130 kt landfall for Ida (and arguably there is evidence for a 135 kt peak), Larry was evidently a MH for most of the time it was given the annular characteristics, not sure where 50 kt Mindy comes from, Nicholas has clear support for hurricane intensity as said above and Sam only has enough evidence to support 135 kt given NHC’s reluctance with C5 (it will most likely get the Jose treatment). I’m sorry but these are just really bad takes on the intensities here.
7 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby aspen » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:05 pm

MarioProtVI wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:

Claudette was a TC off the east coast, Elsa was clearly a hurricane in the eastern Caribbean/western MDR, there was recon support for TS Fred in the Caribbean, data clearly supported 130 kt landfall for Ida (and arguably there is evidence for a 135 kt peak), Larry was evidently a MH for most of the time it was given the annular characteristics, not sure where 50 kt Mindy comes from, Nicholas has clear support for hurricane intensity as said above and Sam only has enough evidence to support 135 kt given NHC’s reluctance with C5 (it will most likely get the Jose treatment). I’m sorry but these are just really bad takes on the intensities here.

Going off of satellite/Dvorak presentation, Sam has a better argument for Cat 5 intensity than Jose did. I mentioned in the Intense TCs thread that Jose only had a complete W ring for less than an hour, while Sam had a much thicker W ring for something like 6 hours.
2 likes   

TROPICALCYCLONEALERT
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#33 Postby TROPICALCYCLONEALERT » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:51 pm

Shell Mound wrote:

Worst set of opinions I’ve seen on this forum in a while.
18 likes   

Hurricane Jed
Category 2
Category 2

#34 Postby Hurricane Jed » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:52 pm

Shell Mound wrote:

*facepalm*
4 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby Sciencerocks » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:07 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:
Teban54 wrote:

I'd say the fact that there's a 149 mph sustain wind onland after landfall proves that it is probably stronger at landfall. Probably borderline cat5.(135knt?)
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby Hammy » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:47 pm

aspen wrote:
InfernoFlameCat wrote:
Teban54 wrote:No offense, but are you just trying too hard to argue that every landfalling storm needs to have its landfall intensity downgraded (Laura too)?

There has been debate over whether or not the 149mph measurement counts as surface sustained winds, because the vessel they were recorded on was near that 10m defining boundary.

Isn't 10m generally what constitutes 'surface winds' in the first place?

Shell Mound wrote:

None of the reductions make sense and go against everything the hurricane center has done in literally every preceding year, not to mention several of these contradict actual measurements.
8 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#37 Postby DioBrando » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:58 am

Shell Mound wrote:

bro you've gotta be trolling, right? please give proper reasoning to why you think claudette/odette should be removed and why larry's time as a major should be cut short?
2 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 TCR's:

#38 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:25 am

My thoughts on the rest of the 2021 Atlantic TCR's
Ana - Complete
Bill - Complete
Claudette - Maybe down to 35 knots?
Danny - Unchanged
Elsa - Slightly weaker Hurricane in the Caribbean, she was moving FAST!
Fred - Maybe down to 50 knots? It's was a good looking Tropical Storm
Grace - Up to 115 knots
Henri - Shorter time as a Hurricane
Ida - This is going to be a borderline case between 130 knots/135 knots, they may favor 130 knots more though
Julian - Unchanged
Kate - Down to 35 knots
Larry - Changes in track, but otherwise unchanged
Mindy - May be unchanged, not just because of good radar presentation
Nicholas- Unchanged because of Sustained Hurricane Wind speed reported
Odette - Subtropical?
Peter - May be slightly weaker
Rose - Stronger quicker
Sam - *Currently Active*
Victor - *Currently Active*
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby Teban54 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:31 am

Iceresistance wrote:My thoughts on the rest of the 2021 Atlantic TCR's
Ana - Complete
Bill - Complete
Claudette - Maybe down to 35 knots?
Danny - Unchanged
Elsa - Slightly weaker Hurricane in the Caribbean, she was moving FAST!
Fred - Maybe down to 50 knots? It's was a good looking Tropical Storm
Grace - Up to 115 knots
Henri - Shorter time as a Hurricane
Ida - This is going to be a borderline case between 130 knots/135 knots, they may favor 130 knots more though
Julian - Unchanged
Kate - Down to 35 knots
Larry - Changes in track, but otherwise unchanged
Mindy - May be unchanged, not just because of good radar presentation
Nicholas- Unchanged because of Sustained Hurricane Wind speed reported
Odette - Subtropical?
Peter - May be slightly weaker
Rose - Stronger
Sam - *Currently Active*

Josh Morgerman said his chase of Grace's landfall does not support a Cat 4 upgrade, though he hasn't posted the data yet:
 https://twitter.com/iCyclone/status/1439840916299292672

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#40 Postby cycloneye » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:38 am

The report on EPAC Tropical Storm Marty is up with peak intensity at 40kt.

Read the reports here
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”