2021 Cyclones Retirement: Ida -> Imani

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

2021 Cyclones Retirement: Ida -> Imani

#1 Postby Teban54 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:21 pm

I know normally one would not expect this post to be made as early as bell day, but right now we have two storms with a tangible chance for retirement now:

Grace - Virtually guaranteed to make landfall in Mexico as a major hurricane, potentially breaking the record for the strongest hurricane landfall in Bay of Campeche
Henri - Currently forecast to landfall as a Cat 1 on Long Island, affecting regions that rarely see hurricane impacts, and with relatively short notice

Obviously nothing is set in stone at the time of this post, as we have no idea on the actual damage that will unfold and the countries' willingness of retirement (especially since similar storms like Karl 2010 and Isaias 2020 have not been retired).

(I'm not sure if this post can only be made after at least one storm is virtually guaranteed to be retired - I was mostly trying to rush it on bell day for the coincidence. If this post violates any rules, please remove it.)
Last edited by Teban54 on Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 Cyclones Retirement

#2 Postby Teban54 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:26 pm

On a side note, the names Grace and Henri have both been used mostly for weak and/or uneventful storms: neither became hurricanes except for their respective first usage, Grace as an OTS Cat 2, and Henri as a weak Cat 1 in the Gulf that somehow didn't make landfall. Regardless of whether Grace and Henri 2021 are retired, the names definitely got their chance to shine for once.
2 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#3 Postby Astromanía » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:30 pm

I don't think Mexico will retire Grace unless it kills a lot of people, Mexico doesn't pay much attention to the economic lost or the records that an Hurricane can make, and it's more strict with Atlantic hurricanes than Pacific ones, you know Alex and Karl weren't retired in 2010...
4 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:01 am

I agree Grace is wait and see what the impacts are. Henri would be more for inland flooding than anything if it did happen.

It's not too early since at least we have candidates. In a few years this could be made with no realistic retirement candidates (example: 2009). As far as replacing them, my choices would be Ginger and Hubert.

Names NOT available for replacement:

Female G name - Gabrielle, Gemma, Genevieve, Georgette, Gert, Gilma, Gloria, Greta

Male H name - Harold, Harvey, Heath, Hector, Hernan, Howard, Hugo, Humberto
1 likes   

Chris90
Category 2
Category 2

#5 Postby Chris90 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:20 am

I doubt Grace gets retired, Mexico is not known for being trigger happy with retirement requests. I’m not sure just how much of an impact Grace made on Haiti either, or if they even really noticed any impacts due to the fact they’re dealing with the aftermath of a terrible earthquake.

Henri I’m unsure about. It seems inevitable that it makes some sort of impact on New England, but after last year it seems like they became a bit more strict about retirements. If Isaias is still on the list after his impacts, I feel like Henri is going to have to make an even greater one to even be considered, and let’s hope he falls short.

I also feel like the fact we’ve been dealing with a worldwide pandemic for a year and a half now has made things like tropical cyclone impacts seem less devastating (not that they are.). Last year I feel like storms like Laura were barely covered in the media due to things like the pandemic, and I feel like Laura and other storms last year would have received more coverage if there wasn’t a pandemic. I’m in the Midwest and I didn’t see one person locally mention anything on social media about Laura or any other storm, or even the fact it was a record breaking season. In 2017, even in my local area, Harvey, Irma, and Maria were frequent topics of conversation and just the hurricane season in general.
2 likes   
Solar Aquarian
Lunar Cancerian
:uarrow: Sagittarian

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:41 am

If Mexico requests Grace to be retired (of course, wait and see what the impacts are), my personal top picks for a replacement name would be Gianna, Gwendolyn, or Glenda.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:16 am

Also, here's a point that I would like to make about naming retirement, especially with regards to the 2021 season. Obviously as we may all know it has been a very rough stretch of 5 years since the active streak began in 2016, with each year featuring at least one very destructive and memorable hurricane. With many of these hurricanes shattering various mind-boggling records or exhibiting some phenomenal characteristic (for instance, Dorian as the strongest landfalling hurricane by wind speed in the Atlantic, Harvey as the costliest Atlantic hurricane and a record flood event, and Michael as the strongest Florida Panhandle-landfalling hurricane and the first CONUS Cat 5 hit since 1992), I definitely feel like in recent times the threshold for retirement has definitely gone up, with several billion-dollar disasters storms like Imelda or Sally (which would have easily been retired if we were in the 90s or 00s, for instance) no longer being considered for retirement as they are a part of the norm these days. With this being said, I would not be surprised if Grace or Henri are simply overshadowed by nastier storms later this season and do not get retired ultimately. From what I can tell, these days, a retirement lock for a storm name would require four main things: the storm inflicting an insane number of fatalities, the storm causing very high monetary losses, the storm scarring a nation(s) for years and inflicting widespread emotional and physical trauma to survivors, and the storm being covered by news channels (in the US, ABC, FOX, CNN, and NBC as examples) extensively as it occurs.
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

BadLarry95
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#8 Postby BadLarry95 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:15 pm

Ana- 0% (weak. Didn’t effect anyone)
Bill- 0% (no impacts)
Claudette- 2% (relatively high death toll but the storm was barely noticeable)
Danny- 0% (blink and you miss it. Low impact)
Elsa- 10% (large area of impact but not very destructive)
Fred- 10% (see Elsa)
Grace- 40% (major hurricane landfall but hit a rural area and Mexico is fickle about retirements)
Henri- 10% (gave New England a scare. But mostly media hype)
Ida- 100% (major impact, destruction, and power out for weeks)
Julian- 0% (most people probably didn’t know this one existed)
Kate- 0% (weak and no land impact)
Larry-25% (hurricane landfall on Newfoundland. Not sure of the effects but Canada is quick to retire storms)
Mindy- 0% (low impact. Forgettable)
Nicholas- 5% (floods. But certainly no Allison or Harvey)
Odette- 0% (blink and you missed it)
Peter- 0% (weak, no impact)
Rose- 0% (see Peter)
Sam- 0% (strong but few to no land impacts)
Teresa- 0% (questionably nameable)
Victor- 0% (no impact)
Wanda- 1% (precursor storm was bad in New England. Didn’t do much once named)
Last edited by BadLarry95 on Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
2 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#9 Postby IcyTundra » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:47 pm

Considering Emily wasn't retired I wouldn't be surprised if Grace doesn't get retired even though it should.
1 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#10 Postby Astromanía » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:18 pm

If it was for me I would have retired Emily, Alex and Karl, considering I dealt with Emily and Alex by the time with lots of destruction
3 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#11 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:15 pm

It looks like Grace and Henri will live to see another day...Ida is perhaps another story.
1 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:29 pm

It looks like we'll have to find yet another new I name...
0 likes   

zhukm29
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13 Postby zhukm29 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:33 pm

There are only three guarantees in life: death, taxes, and the I storm causing trouble during the Atlantic hurricane season. I'm pretty sure over 50% of I name usages in the Atlantic during the 21st century have been retired, and that's not including storms like Isaac, Imelda, and Isaias, which had strong arguments for retirement as well.

Someone actually posted a giant list of I names on a thread last year (some of them presumably as a joke), including names such as Ikea and Itzcuauhtli :lol: there are definitely still good options left, but at the rate we're retiring them, chances are the names will get more exotic over the next few decades. It just so happens that the most retired letter is also one of the rarest first initials (and to add salt to the wound, the letter J is right next to I and is the most common first initial, but has less than half the retirements).
3 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#14 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:04 pm

zhukm29 wrote:There are only three guarantees in life: death, taxes, and the I storm causing trouble during the Atlantic hurricane season. I'm pretty sure over 50% of I name usages in the Atlantic during the 21st century have been retired, and that's not including storms like Isaac, Imelda, and Isaias, which had strong arguments for retirement as well.

Someone actually posted a giant list of I names on a thread last year (some of them presumably as a joke), including names such as Ikea and Itzcuauhtli :lol: there are definitely still good options left, but at the rate we're retiring them, chances are the names will get more exotic over the next few decades. It just so happens that the most retired letter is also one of the rarest first initials (and to add salt to the wound, the letter J is right next to I and is the most common first initial, but has less than half the retirements).

Some possible names: Iona, Imogene, Ilene, Isabella (they went Frederic --> Fabian --> Fred)
1 likes   

Torino
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#15 Postby Torino » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:29 pm

Ivy, Ilse, Ivana, Ilene, Irina...there are still many options available.

Glenda, Georgia, Gina, Gisela, Gilda, Gladys...if Grace gets retired.
0 likes   

Tekken_Guy
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#16 Postby Tekken_Guy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:01 pm

Are Greek letter names now eligible to return as people’s names?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:26 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
zhukm29 wrote:There are only three guarantees in life: death, taxes, and the I storm causing trouble during the Atlantic hurricane season. I'm pretty sure over 50% of I name usages in the Atlantic during the 21st century have been retired, and that's not including storms like Isaac, Imelda, and Isaias, which had strong arguments for retirement as well.

Some possible names: Iona, Imogene, Ilene, Isabella (they went Frederic --> Fabian --> Fred)

I personally like Imogen, but I wonder what the chances are that they pick something like Isabella? It’s very similar to Isabel (which was retired), but then you know, Katrina/Katia and Frederic/Fred happened, so…
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Teban54 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:38 pm

That's why I actually agree with the suggestion of removing the I names from the naming lists just like QUXYZ. Of course it doesn't stop the ultra intense and damaging storms from developing, but nearby letters such as H, J, K have a lot more names available.
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby Teban54 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:41 pm

Tekken_Guy wrote:Are Greek letter names now eligible to return as people’s names?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AFAIK there's nothing that prohibits the use of them as "human names" in a naming list, so it's certainly possible (maybe with the exception of Eta and Iota).

Most Greek names do not actually sound like human names though. Delta is the closest call, but there are many better D names available that I don't see us needing Delta on the naming list anytime soon. Also note that Gemma on the auxiliary list is similar to Gamma.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:57 pm

Ida is asking to be retired right now . . . :eek:
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”