How damaging will the 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season be?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

How damaging will the 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season be?

#1 Postby AlphaToOmega » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:57 am

The climatological peak of hurricane season has started. With storms starting to become more damaging, it is worth asking how damaging this hurricane season will be. All figures are in 2021 USD.
  1. $1.225G-$1.25G
  2. $1.25G-$2.5G
  3. $2.5G-$5G
  4. $5G-$10G
  5. $10G-$20G
  6. $20G-$40G
  7. $40G-$80G
  8. $80G-$160G
  9. $160G-$320G
  10. $320G+
Open until 2021-11-30 (end of the official hurricane season)
1 likes   

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

Re: How damaging will the 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season be?

#2 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:35 pm

Well if what models are showing about a potential stalling tropical cyclone near Texas actually occurs, I am thinking damage will be quite high since it is not even September yet.
0 likes   

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:36 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:Well if what models are showing about a potential stalling tropical cyclone near Texas actually occurs, I am thinking damage will be quite high since it is not even September yet.

Also, the damage from Henri could be high in New England.
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Shell Mound » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:44 am

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:Well if what models are showing about a potential stalling tropical cyclone near Texas actually occurs, I am thinking damage will be quite high since it is not even September yet.

Actually, impacts ended up being far less than expected.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby cheezyWXguy » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:43 am

Shell Mound wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:

With such high population density, it doesn’t take an overly intense storm to rack up a big damage toll, and rainfall has been the main driver. My bet is that the final figure ends up in the $3-5 billion range.
0 likes   

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby AlphaToOmega » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:45 am

cheezyWXguy wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:

With such high population density, it doesn’t take an overly intense storm to rack up a big damage toll, and rainfall has been the main driver. My bet is that the final figure ends up in the $3-5 billion range.

$3G-5G in damage has been quite low for recent hurricane seasons. The last Atlantic hurricane season with a total damage amount <$10G was 2015.
1 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:56 am

AlphaToOmega wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:Actually, impacts ended up being far less than expected.

$3G-5G in damage has been quite low for recent hurricane seasons. The last Atlantic hurricane season with a total damage amount <$10G was 2015.

I think he meant for Henri, not the whole season
Last edited by ElectricStorm on Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby cheezyWXguy » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:57 am

AlphaToOmega wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:Actually, impacts ended up being far less than expected.

I was just talking about Henri
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Teban54 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:23 am

I think this is a question that nobody can reliably predict ahead of time. A tropical cyclone's damage is determined by way more than its intensity and general steering pattern: miniscule factors such as the exact location of landfall, track and speed after moving inland, shape of the coastline (for storm surge), how saturated the ground is in the region before the storm, economical status of the countries that experienced landfall, etc can have huge impacts on the deaths and damage, and are hard to predict just a few days in advance.

Hurricane Bret 1999 was stronger at landfall than Harvey 2017, yet Bret wasn't even retired because it hit a sparsely populated area, and moved inland quicker without much rain threat. Similarly, as bad as Laura was, it could have been way worse with $100+ billion damage if it took the west track into Houston that the Euro predicted multiple runs before landfall. The 2020 season had a greater number of US hurricane landfalls than 2017, yet less monetary damage and deaths.

Even a predominantly OTS season like 2010 can still be impactful: two intense Mexico landfalls in Alex and Karl, two retired names Igor and Tomas, and also TS Matthew with 126 deaths.
0 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby underthwx » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:24 am

Shell Mound wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:

True that....thankfully it would appear as tho the impacts will be less severe than anticipated...
0 likes   

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby AlphaToOmega » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:41 am

So far, this hurricane season has cost $52G in damage. That could rise at any moment. There are still 25 days left of September, not to mention October and November.
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:17 pm

Wikipedia has Ida as the third costliest cyclone with at least 95 billion dollars in damage. The fact that Ida surpassed Maria and Sandy in damage really is remarkable and horrific.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Teban54 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:23 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Wikipedia has Ida as the third costliest cyclone with at least 95 billion dollars in damage. The fact that Ida surpassed Maria and Sandy in damage really is remarkable and horrific.

I wouldn't put too much stock on the current Wikipedia estimates (which are mostly based on news reports). At one point some sources estimated Harvey's damage to be almost $200 billion, and Wikipedia had it as the third costliest natural disaster of all time; the official figure a few months later was $125 billion.

That said, at this point I'm pretty confident Ida will make it to the top 5 costliest hurricanes.
2 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Ubuntwo » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:41 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Wikipedia has Ida as the third costliest cyclone with at least 95 billion dollars in damage. The fact that Ida surpassed Maria and Sandy in damage really is remarkable and horrific.

That’s the upper end of accuweather’s estimate. They have been too high with many storms so don’t put much weight on it yet. Damage is still being assessed.
0 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#15 Postby Stormybajan » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:29 pm

I think that will come down to around 50-60 billion. Teban54 said Wikipedia usually overestimates the actual damages before the damage assessment is 100% completed. Harvey's 200 billion estimate will always stick with me
0 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby aspen » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:29 am

Stormybajan wrote:

I think that will come down to around 50-60 billion. Teban54 said Wikipedia usually overestimates the actual damages before the damage assessment is 100% completed. Harvey's 200 billion estimate will always stick with me

I remember when it was estimated to be nearly $400 billion.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:24 am

Ok, you guys have very good points. I was simply very shocked to see that amount of damage on wikipedia, but for Harvey to be 400 billion at one point, I'll likely not put much stock into the 95 billion for Ida going forward. However, the main takeaway is that Ida was one heck of a costly storm, and with us not knowing what kinds of September or October threats could come (but with a La Nina coming), the price tag of this season could unfortunately be pretty high in the end.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#18 Postby al78 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:56 pm

Teban54 wrote:Hurricane Bret 1999 was stronger at landfall than Harvey 2017 ...

No it wasn't. Bret was a minimal category 3 at landfall (it weakened on approach to land) whereas Harvey made landfall as a minimal category 4.
1 likes   

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#19 Postby al78 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:00 pm

I imagine much of that will be from rainfall-induced flooding as the storm came inland. The thing with tropical cyclones is that although the damaging winds weaken quickly after landfall, they can still dump a lot of rain hundreds of miles inland, especially if the circulation interacts with topography or an upper level trough.
0 likes   

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#20 Postby al78 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:04 pm

AlphaToOmega wrote:So far, this hurricane season has cost $52G in damage. That could rise at any moment. There are still 25 days left of September, not to mention October and November.

It doesn't look like we are going to get a La Nina as strong as last year, if we get one at all, so hopefully we won't see the season go insane churning out major after major like we did in autumn last year.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”