How Exactly Are Atlantic/EPAC Replacement Names Chosen?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

How Exactly Are Atlantic/EPAC Replacement Names Chosen?

#1 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:09 am

I understand the WMO meets every spring and discusses the past season and the future season (along with preparedness and so forth), and it is during these meetings where destructive cyclone names are retired and replacement names are chosen. However, I am curious and have not really found much direct and useful info on this, but how exactly are replacement names chosen? Like what is the process behind this; is there a specific representative or person(s) who picks up a random list of potential replacement names and puts them to a vote on the fly during the meeting, or is there some event where the general public is told to come up with a set of potential replacement names, only for the WMO to simply consider this pool of names and vote on one name in the end?
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”