Which Replacement Names Are the Weirdest, and What Name Would You Have Rather Picked?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Which Replacement Names Are the Weirdest, and What Name Would You Have Rather Picked?

#1 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:28 am

Here are my top personal ones:

Rita —> Robin (not Rina)
Katrina —> Kathleen (not Katia)
Michael —> Maurice (not Milton)
Dennis —> Donald (not just Don)
Fabian —> Fletcher (not Fred)
Georges —> Gregory (not Gaston)
Joaquin —> Jeffrey (not Julian as Julia is already a List 2 name)

Just for hypothetical funsies of course :lol:
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

Re: Which Replacement Names Are the Weirdest, and What Name Would You Have Rather Picked?

#2 Postby DioBrando » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:10 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Here are my top personal ones:

Rita —> Robin (not Rina)
Katrina —> Kathleen (not Katia)
Michael —> Maurice (not Milton)
Dennis —> Donald (not just Don)
Fabian —> Fletcher (not Fred)
Georges —> Gregory (not Gaston)
Joaquin —> Jeffrey (not Julian as Julia is already a List 2 name)

Just for hypothetical funsies of course :lol:

irma to idalia
0 likes   
who can it be now
*du du du du du du*

wwizard
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Which Replacement Names Are the Weirdest, and What Name Would You Have Rather Picked?

#3 Postby wwizard » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:22 pm

There's a ton of good names from the 50's, 60's and 70's that they just removed from the lists for whatever reason and haven't used again. Of course they were all female names but still.

Amelia
Becky (I'd take over both Beryl and Bertha)
Dorothy
Edith
Evelyn
Gail and Ginger easily over Gert
Holly
Ivy
Jane
Jenny
Jill
Jodie
Judith
Justine
Linda
Lucy
Margo
Marsha
Mary
Molly
Nancy over Nana 8 days a week
Norma
Penny
Rachel and Ruth I'd take over Rina
Sabrina
Sheila
Shirley
Susan
Tina
Vanessa

There's even Roger from the Army/Navy Phonetic Alphabet.
0 likes   
Alicia, Allison, Ike, Harvey

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby chaser1 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:42 pm

Maybe not the weirdest but here's my official request for the entire Gilligan's Island cast to be named Storms for a single year; that list would include:
Gilligan
Jonas (The Skipper)
Thurston (Howell III)
Eunice (Mr. Howell's wife)
Roy (Professor)
Ginger (the Movie-star)
and my personal fav - Mary Ann
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby GSBHurricane » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:10 pm

I’ll go with the obvious: Katrina and Rita probably has the weirdest replacements given how close they were to the original names. For Katrina I’d choose Kendra or Kirsten and for Rita I’d choose Rena (pronounced Ray-nuh) or Ramona.
0 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby GSBHurricane » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:11 pm

I’ll go with the obvious: Katrina and Rita probably has the weirdest replacements given how close they were to the original names. For Katrina I’d choose Kendra or Kirsten and for Rita I’d choose Rena (pronounced Ray-nuh) or Ramona.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”