Just A Giant Hurricane Art Dump

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

Just A Giant Hurricane Art Dump

#1 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:11 pm

So...I finally have finished some series of comics so I can post the hurricane art I have done in the past couple of years.

In summer 2020, UTMB Galveston handed out commemorative water bottles for graduating residents...

Hmm...that little drawing looks kind of familiar...?
hmmm....I wonder who could have been asked to do a series of drawings of the disasters UTMB has overcome for them.

When people were predicting Hurricane Laura and Hurricane Marco to do a Fujiwhara interaction, I drew this:
it didn't exactly age well given that the interaction never happened and Laura was a beast, but I'm putting it here anyway.
The weird green hands are meant to represent the Mayan storm god Hurakan, who was often depicted in art with green skin. Marco is nervous because the much stronger Laura will undoubtedly rip him apart as he gets close.

Lastly, here is what is so far my "magnum opus" of hurricane comics. I took the song "Comet" from the TV show Steven Universe and changed it to be a song played by my character for the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane

Basically Labor Day (a) has a decent singing voice and (b) shreds a mean guitarfish. I imagine it would appear to be a kind of abrupt transition, as his normal voice is probably a combination of a drill sergeant and screaming Category 5 winds. And then he starts singing, and sounds like Billy Joel or something like that. :D

For those who want to know what the tune of the song is, it is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3M47LlGAWU
For some reason when I heard it several years ago I thought "I could totally turn this into a song about the life of a hurricane."
14 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

Chris90
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Just A Giant Hurricane Art Dump

#2 Postby Chris90 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:08 pm

Congratulations on your art being used for those commemorative water bottles, that’s really cool that you got to do that!
2 likes   
Solar Aquarian
Lunar Cancerian
:uarrow: Sagittarian

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby AnnularCane » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:03 pm

Very nice! (I had a feeling this would all be posted here eventually.) :)

If you don't mind my asking, how did your drawings come to be used on the water bottles?
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:36 pm

AnnularCane wrote:Very nice! (I had a feeling this would all be posted here eventually.) :)

If you don't mind my asking, how did your drawings come to be used on the water bottles?

I have family that works there, and they asked me to do it for the graduating residents. That’s all.
1 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:49 pm

Just a Hurricane Art Dump? Your work is AMAZING!

And there was more storms of the century: 2011 Super outbreak & Superstorm Sandy (2012).

Even Extratropical cyclones can become extremely powerful. (As demonstrated by the Storm of the Century in 1993)

I do want to mention that Supercells also have a mind of their own, they can suddenly change direction, collapse, explosively grow, slow down & speed up! I've tracked some very weird Supercells in the past few years . . .
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:23 pm

Fantastic work!
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby FireRat » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:29 pm

Absolutely awesome stuff, wonderfully entertaining way to bring hurricanes to life storm_in_a_teacup!!
:boog:
1 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

#8 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:08 pm

Iceresistance wrote:Just a Hurricane Art Dump? Your work is AMAZING!

And there was more storms of the century: 2011 Super outbreak & Superstorm Sandy (2012).

Even Extratropical cyclones can become extremely powerful. (As demonstrated by the Storm of the Century in 1993)

I do want to mention that Supercells also have a mind of their own, they can suddenly change direction, collapse, explosively grow, slow down & speed up! I've tracked some very weird Supercells in the past few years . . .

The “storms of the century” thing was a reference to a Weather Channel special at the end of the 20th century where they ranked the top ten biggest storms. The storms you mentioned weren’t on the list because it was specifically restricted to 20th century storms.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:16 pm

storm_in_a_teacup wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:Just a Hurricane Art Dump? Your work is AMAZING!

The “storms of the century” thing was a reference to a Weather Channel special at the end of the 20th century where they ranked the top ten biggest storms. The storms you mentioned weren’t on the list because it was specifically restricted to 20th century storms.

True on the 20th Century list, but Supercells, they have a mind of their own . . .
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

SootyTern
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby SootyTern » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:18 pm

Liked for the panel with Sooty terns having one hell of a ride. Nice work!
0 likes   
Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Gulf Coast: Opal '95 Georges '98 / So Fla: Katrina '05 Wilma '05 Irma '17

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”