Tropical Disturbance Crossing Yucatan (Is Invest 94L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Craters
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Tropical Disturbance Crossing Yucatan

#161 Postby Craters » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:36 am

The 00Z GFS is seeing the dry air, too, most of the way to Galveston Bay. (And I gotta say, that ain't no hay.)*

Plus, if you look at the upper-level winds around the ridge over Mexico -- the one that Wxman was talking about, I'm guessing -- it really does look as if the GFS is seeing some pretty healthy (upper-level) shear for most of the way to landfall.

*Gotta be a geezer and a half to get that one.
0 likes   
Nothing that I post here should ever be treated as a forecast or anything resembling one. Please check with your local NWS office or the NHC for forecasts, watches, and warnings.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#162 Postby Steve » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:41 am

Cpv17 wrote:The GEFS is quite a bit further west than the op.

Ensembles (anecdotally) seem to have had that bias a few days out in the west basin this season.
Last edited by Steve on Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#163 Postby Steve » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:43 am

Craters wrote:The 00Z GFS is seeing the dry air, too, most of the way to Galveston Bay. (And I gotta say, that ain't no hay.)*

https://i.ibb.co/jWTRKn7/RH.jpg

Plus, if you look at the upper-level winds around the ridge over Mexico -- the one that Wxman was talking about, I'm guessing -- it really does look as if the GFS is seeing some pretty healthy (upper-level) shear for most of the way to landfall.

https://i.ibb.co/m4hKFZT/ULWind.jpg

That only appears to limit the level of organization but not so much rainfall rates at the coast which appears to be the main threat as of now.
1 likes   

Craters
Category 1
Category 1

#164 Postby Craters » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:47 am

Steve wrote:
Craters wrote:The 00Z GFS is seeing the dry air, too, most of the way to Galveston Bay. (And I gotta say, that ain't no hay.)*

https://i.ibb.co/jWTRKn7/RH.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/m4hKFZT/ULWind.jpg

That only appears to limit the level of organization but not so much rainfall rates at the coast which appears to be the main threat as of now.

Hi, Steve -- Yep. I agree 100%. Not obvious, I guess, but I was continuing my response to SoupBone's comment about the pulsating intensity of the system as it approaches Texas in the 00Z GFS.
1 likes   
Nothing that I post here should ever be treated as a forecast or anything resembling one. Please check with your local NWS office or the NHC for forecasts, watches, and warnings.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#165 Postby SoupBone » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:20 am

The Euro makes this all clear as mud. It takes the system deep into Texas over San Antonio.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#166 Postby Cpv17 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:23 am

SoupBone wrote:The Euro makes this all clear as mud. It takes the system deep into Texas over San Antonio.

Then it sends it towards Houston lol
3 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#167 Postby SoupBone » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:25 am

Cpv17 wrote:
SoupBone wrote:The Euro makes this all clear as mud. It takes the system deep into Texas over San Antonio.

This run would support what wxman was saying, Houston and the whole Texas coast would get a bunch of rain from a sloppy depression-like system. I wonder what the next GFS will do. This was way further west from this Euro run.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#168 Postby Cpv17 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:27 am

SoupBone wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

This run would support what wxman was saying, Houston and the whole Texas coast would get a bunch of rain from a sloppy depression-like system. I wonder what the next GFS will do. This was way further west from this Euro run.

Yeah, no kidding. That would be a pretty good rainmaker for us with that track.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#169 Postby SoupBone » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:05 am

The Euro dumps over 24 inches of rain in Houston.
0 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#170 Postby IcyTundra » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:08 am

Interesting that the highest rain totals are further inland according to the Euro.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#171 Postby SoupBone » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:09 am

12Z QPF

1 likes   

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#172 Postby grapealcoholic » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:11 am

I wouldn't be concerned with dry air. It won't have any problem firing convection over 31C waters
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#173 Postby Cpv17 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:31 am

SoupBone wrote:12Z QPF

https://i.imgur.com/VbCMCUe.gif

Confidence is increasing. Not too often you see the WPC break out the yellow.
0 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#174 Postby IcyTundra » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:51 am

Often times WPC is pretty conservative in their rainfall predictions some areas can easily see 15+ inches of rain imo.
0 likes   

kassi
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#175 Postby kassi » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:09 am

Last edited by kassi on Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#176 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:22 am

I like how a trough connects Larry, former Mindy, and Invest 94L. Reminds me of last year when Teddy was connected to Beta in a similar fashion. https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=g ... =undefined
3 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”