Tropical Disturbance Crossing Yucatan (Is Invest 94L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Tropical Disturbance Crossing Yucatan

#141 Postby SoupBone » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:38 pm

wxman57 wrote:With the upper ridge centered over southern Mexico, the disturbance would encounter increasing southwest to westerly wind shear as it nears Texas. That would not support the 18Z GFS solution. Still looks like rain for Texas being the main impact. To me, this means I'm working all weekend for will most likely be a weak, sheared TS impact. I have the center moving inland near the TX/MX border Monday then tracking slowly NE, bringing lots of rain to Texas.

Spread out or more localized impacts? We (Houston) can handle rain over time, it's been pretty dry lately, but not inches in a few hours as I'm sure you obviously know.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#142 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:11 pm

wxman57 wrote:With the upper ridge centered over southern Mexico, the disturbance would encounter increasing southwest to westerly wind shear as it nears Texas. That would not support the 18Z GFS solution. Still looks like rain for Texas being the main impact. To me, this means I'm working all weekend for will most likely be a weak, sheared TS impact. I have the center moving inland near the TX/MX border Monday then tracking slowly NE, bringing lots of rain to Texas.

But the trend by the GFS is for the upper ridge to expand some northward. The Euro also shows the same.

1 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#143 Postby IcyTundra » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:15 pm

A Central Texas coast landfall is what I would bet on right now somewhere between Corpus Christi and Matagorda Bay.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#144 Postby SoupBone » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:22 pm

NDG wrote:

But the trend by the GFS is for the upper ridge to expand some northward. The Euro also shows the same.

Where have you been man? You're usually a much more busy poster than you are this year. What are you thinking right now? Minimal Cat 1 into central Texas?
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#145 Postby IcyTundra » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:41 pm

00Z GFS is running lets see what it has to offer.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#146 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:49 pm

SoupBone wrote:
NDG wrote:

Where have you been man? You're usually a much more busy poster than you are this year. What are you thinking right now? Minimal Cat 1 into central Texas?

Sorry, I was busy with my friends back in Nola during Ida. Since then I have been taking a break and catching up on a lot of work :wink:
If it stays offshore like some Euro ensembles show and the latest GFS show there is a good chance of at least a Cat 1. IMO.
I will continue watching the trends over the next 24 hrs, you know how this part of the GOM gives us surprises.
3 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#147 Postby IcyTundra » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:59 pm

00Z GFS is further east through 72 hours.
0 likes   

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#148 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:02 pm

tolakram wrote:
grapealcoholic wrote:It's already got that look

Where?

Fair. Seeing deep pinks on IR this early always catches my eye
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#149 Postby SoupBone » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:04 pm

78 hours a huge jump east.

0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#150 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:05 pm

IcyTundra wrote:00Z GFS is further east through 72 hours.

But for some reason weaker than 18z run and fluctuating in strength the whole time.
0 likes   

jaguars_22
Category 1
Category 1

#151 Postby jaguars_22 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:06 pm

Looks like a storm tries to organize further north towards Houston before this storm gets going? Idk weird how me living in Victoria may be dry the entire week
0 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#152 Postby IcyTundra » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:07 pm

NDG wrote:

But for some reason weaker than 18z run and fluctuating in strength the whole time.

Models always have a hard time with intensity very hard to predict how strong something will get several days in advance without a closed off low.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#153 Postby SoupBone » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:07 pm

NDG wrote:

I see 1010mb at 99 hours.
0 likes   

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#154 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:07 pm

When these things pass the eye-test, they always come together quicker than models depict. Should have a depression within 24 hours
0 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#155 Postby IcyTundra » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:10 pm

Will be interesting to see what the GEFS has to say about this.
0 likes   

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#156 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:11 pm

IcyTundra wrote:Will be interesting to see what the GEFS has to say about this.

Looks less aggressive but further south
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#157 Postby SoupBone » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:15 pm

Someone earlier showed a ton of dry air in its way deep into Texas and into the Gulf of Mexico. Is that what keeps it in check? Can anyone post that again?
1 likes   

Craters
Category 1
Category 1

#158 Postby Craters » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:11 am

Here it is, SoupBone --
0 likes   
Nothing that I post here should ever be treated as a forecast or anything resembling one. Please check with your local NWS office or the NHC for forecasts, watches, and warnings.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#159 Postby Steve » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:22 am

IcyTundra wrote:Will be interesting to see what the GEFS has to say about this.

GFS is putting a foot of rain in Jefferson/Chambers CO’s TX. So Vidor, Beaumont, Port Arthur, Groves, Port Neches, Orange, Rose City and all those other towns near the TX/LA border. Not the most rain ever but everyone over that way knows the flooding dangers.

Only 102 hours so thru early Wednesday
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 100&fh=102
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#160 Postby Cpv17 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:34 am

The GEFS is quite a bit further west than the op.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”