Tropical Disturbance Crossing Yucatan (Is Invest 94L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Tropical Disturbance Crossing Yucatan

#121 Postby Clearcloudz » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:24 pm

grapealcoholic wrote:Looked at IR tonight.. yep this one has me eye now. Spicy

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/ocean/cdas-sflux_sst_atl_1.png

I love me some spicy during the peak of hurricane season. :lol:
1 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#122 Postby cheezyWXguy » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:29 pm

As posted above, upper level winds look pretty favorable for this to take off if this avoids land. The gfs runs from a few days ago highlight the upper end of the potential here. My initial thoughts are that this goes into the mid Texas coast as mid-upper ts after scraping the coast, but there is the potential for a lot more if this stays offshore and I’d be on alert if I were in Houston
1 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#123 Postby aspen » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:34 pm

This is slowly getting more and more worrying. The Gulf is plenty favorable for rapid genesis and intensification, and if soon-to-be-94L ends up staying east enough, RI is a real concern. At the very least, TX should be on alert for a lot of rain.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#124 Postby IcyTundra » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:41 pm

At best it will be a whole lot of rain for Texas and at worse we could be looking at hurricane force conditions somewhere along the Texas coast with a whole lot of rain.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#125 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:44 pm

I'm personally pretty concerned about this one. If this stays far enough off the coast it might get nasty. It's early still, but we need to be watching for an overperformer here.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#126 Postby Clearcloudz » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:57 pm

0 likes   

grapealcoholic
Category 2
Category 2

#127 Postby grapealcoholic » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:04 pm

It's already got that look
0 likes   

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#128 Postby tropicwatch » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:12 pm

Not much happening at the surface yet. Might start seeing increases in close to surface vorticity tomorrow afternoon.

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/windmain.php?&basin=atlantic&sat=wg8&prod=vor5&zoom=&time=
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#129 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:12 pm

grapealcoholic wrote:It's already got that look

Where?
4 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

lsuhurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#130 Postby lsuhurricane » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:19 pm

A definitive uptick in Euro ensembles making something of this. Note that the stronger ensembles remain off the coast (in blue). Something to keep in mind if this trends stronger over the short term.

0 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#131 Postby Clearcloudz » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:27 pm

18Z EPS more members are showing hugging the texas coastline. Definitely need to be watching this trend going into 00Z runs now.

0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#132 Postby SoupBone » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:31 pm

Clearcloudz wrote:18Z EPS more members are showing hugging the texas coastline. Definitely need to be watching this trend going into 00Z runs now.

https://i.imgur.com/so8qQjP.gif

At least it's mostly weak when it impacts Houston. Likely high rain though.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#133 Postby IcyTundra » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:35 pm

SoupBone wrote:
Clearcloudz wrote:18Z EPS more members are showing hugging the texas coastline. Definitely need to be watching this trend going into 00Z runs now.

EPS members often underestimate intensity as each member is run at a lower resolution than the operational Euro. I mainly use the EPS to evaluate where a storm will track and as well all know forecasting intensity is the hardest thing about forecasting tropical cyclones.
4 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#134 Postby cheezyWXguy » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:35 pm

SoupBone wrote:

EPS members aren’t really a good gauge on actual intensity, but are good for trends and tendencies. For example, the easternmost members, including those targeting houston, are the strongest. I see that as a bit concerning.
4 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#135 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:40 pm

Man the convection over land is helping spin up a bit of vorticity. thing is some models show this hovering around Houston Tx as a tropical rainstorm. If it instead pulls a Mitch and hovers next to Houston we could see serious trouble. However this is the worst case scenario and quite unlikely to happen. I think a mid grade ts scraping the gulf coast is most likely IMO.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#136 Postby Clearcloudz » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:57 pm

Quick update some of these individual ensemble runs are showing 25+ inches of rain in parts of the texas coastline as the system slows down, 00Z Euro could be epic. I'm ready with my popcorn.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#137 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:13 pm

18Z euro a tad east

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#138 Postby wxman57 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:20 pm

With the upper ridge centered over southern Mexico, the disturbance would encounter increasing southwest to westerly wind shear as it nears Texas. That would not support the 18Z GFS solution. Still looks like rain for Texas being the main impact. To me, this means I'm working all weekend for will most likely be a weak, sheared TS impact. I have the center moving inland near the TX/MX border Monday then tracking slowly NE, bringing lots of rain to Texas.
5 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#139 Postby Clearcloudz » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:21 pm

18Z soundings showing warm cloud layer with strong updrafts resulting in a efficient rainfall producing system. Somewhere in Texas this will produce some epic rainfall based on the soundings.

18Z GFS Sounding

18Z EURO Sounding

1 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#140 Postby IcyTundra » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:22 pm

Euro and GFS are in agreement with a track further north making landfall along the Texas coast. Track further north= more time over water which would give it more time to intensify. I am quite bullish on this and I think the best case scenario is a mid grade TS with the worst case scenario being a hurricane possibly a strong cat 1 or a weak cat 2.

Edit: This is assuming the Euro and GFS are right about a more northern track obviously this thing could still stay as a weak TS if it goes into Mexico but the models have been trending away from a Mexico landfall today.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”