Will we see a ≥140-kt system, and where would it form?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

Will we see a ≥140-kt system, and where would it form?

#1 Postby AlphaToOmega » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:35 am

As you all very well know, September is almost always the peak of hurricane season. With the peak of hurricane season, hurricanes are stronger. This raises two questions: will a ≥140-kt storm form, and where would it form?

None will form
Forms in the MDR
Forms in the subtropics
Forms in the Caribbean
Forms in the Gulf of Mexico
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Will we see a ≥140-kt system, and where would it form?

#2 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:53 am

I feel like the question should be worded not as “will” but as “could” given “will” sounds too definitive. We have seen active years such as 1995, 2010, and 2020 feature no Cat 5s despite them definitely having the potential to do so. However, with that aside, I’ll guess that the Caribbean is a good bet as it’s the highest UOHC part of the basin and is a climo favored region late season.
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

zal0phus
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby zal0phus » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:55 am

I feel like if we were to see such a storm it would be a mid-late October West Caribbean hurricane, probably curving north towards Mexico and then towards southwest Florida or Cuba. Essentially a track similar to Wilma's, but I can't imagine it would approach Wilma's strength.
0 likes   
And it all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...
And I just keep letting me down, letting me down, letting me down...

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:57 am

I'm going to say no, but if a storm forms in the perfect spot at the right time in October, then maybe. But it's a solid no from me for now. I do think we might see another 130kt Cat 4 though
3 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:12 am

Weather Dude wrote:I'm going to say no, but if a storm forms in the perfect spot at the right time in October, then maybe. But it's a solid no from me for now. I do think we might see another 130kt Cat 4 though

Eh, I personally would not count out the second half of September; as we saw with Maria, Lorenzo, Georges (to a degree given it was so close), Tampico, Yankee Clipper, Janet, Beulah, and Rita, Cat 5 hurricanes can easily form in the Atlantic during then.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:30 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:I'm going to say no, but if a storm forms in the perfect spot at the right time in October, then maybe. But it's a solid no from me for now. I do think we might see another 130kt Cat 4 though

Eh, I personally would not count out the second half of September; as we saw with Maria, Lorenzo, Georges (to a degree given it was so close), Tampico, Yankee Clipper, Janet, Beulah, and Rita, Cat 5 hurricanes can easily form in the Atlantic during then.

I think we'll have at least 1 storm from here on out get close to Cat 5, but I think it will fall just short.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”