Strong Tropical Wave to emerge from West Africa today (Is Invest 95L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Strong Tropical Wave to emerge from West Africa today (Is Invest 95L)

#1 Postby cycloneye » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:56 am

Another tropical wave is expected to move off the west coast of
Africa early next week. Some development of this system will be
possible through the middle of next week while it moves westward
across the eastern tropical Atlantic Ocean.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Strong Tropical Wave to emerge from West Africa early next week

#2 Postby cycloneye » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:27 am

GFS wakes up and now develops.

3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby kevin » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:31 am

I think this is the one that the Euro is so bullish on right?
0 likes   

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby Stormybajan » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:37 am

kevin wrote:I think this is the one that the Euro is so bullish on right?

Yep... also the cmc. Looks like gfs has jumped onto the development train for this wave
3 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby aspen » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:54 am

Oh boy, every model is on board now and agrees on a very low-latitude MDR long-tracker. This could be a very long pre-invest thread.
2 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#6 Postby cycloneye » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:01 am

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7 Postby cycloneye » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:44 am

8 AM TWO:

Another tropical wave is expected to move off the west coast of
Africa in a few days. Some development of this system will be
possible through the middle of next week while it moves westward
across the eastern tropical Atlantic Ocean.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.
1 likes   

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby kevin » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:07 am

06z GFS forms this into a TC at +144 and eventually recurves it, but it does seem like the strongest GFS run for this disturbance so far, down to 969 mbar.

3 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby toad strangler » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:02 am

That's a ton of strong members way out in the middle of the Atlantic. It would definitely take anomalously strong and unbroken ridging to get this farther to the W than what is depicted here. Regardless, will be the main show soon.

Last edited by toad strangler on Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
4 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:03 am

kevin wrote:06z GFS forms this into a TC at +144 and eventually recurves it, but it does seem like the strongest GFS run for this disturbance so far, down to 969 mbar.

https://imgur.com/2AZzRww

Hmm, well one thing I do know is that the GFS has a tendency to underestimate ridge strengths, and a low rider from that low of a latitude I would think would have a less chance of recurving that sharply as opposed to a system more to the north.
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby aspen » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:09 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:
kevin wrote:06z GFS forms this into a TC at +144 and eventually recurves it, but it does seem like the strongest GFS run for this disturbance so far, down to 969 mbar.

https://imgur.com/2AZzRww

Hmm, well one thing I do know is that the GFS has a tendency to underestimate ridge strengths, and a low rider from that low of a latitude I would think would have a less chance of recurving that sharply as opposed to a system more to the north.

GFS underestimates ridges, Euro over-estimates. A blend of their tracks is similar to Larry’s but further SW, which seems like a good guess based on how this wave is coming off even further south than Larry was. However, it’s possible the Euro could be closer to reality because of Typhoon Chthulu pumping the ridge.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby toad strangler » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:24 am

0 likes   

Spacecoast
Category 2
Category 2

#13 Postby Spacecoast » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:52 am

06z GEFS.... Many members emerge below 10N.

2 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby SFLcane » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:56 am

That’s as good as agreement as you will ever see for a wave still over Africa. :eek:

6 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby LarryWx » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:56 am

The CV storms on record that I’ve found that hit the CONUS 9/20+ are at least these 8:

Lili 2002
Georges 1998
Hugo 1989
Gloria 1985
Inez 1966

The last few EPS runs are saying to not bet anywhere near the farm that 2021 will not produce the 9th and the 1st in 19 years, especially with La Niña. If they have the right idea, late month trouble COULD very well occur.
This is as strong support for anything this far out that I can recall ever seeing. Could the Euro suites be in la la land? They could. Look at how bad so many runs just did with 93L, which they had develop rapidly and recurve just offshore Africa.
4 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby SFLcane » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:57 am

LarryWx wrote:The CV storms on record that I’ve found that hit the CONUS 9/20+ are at least these 8:

Lili 2002
Georges 1998
Hugo 1989
Gloria 1985
Inez 1966

The last few EPS runs are saying to not bet anywhere near the farm that 2021 will not produce the 9th and the 1st in 19 years, especially with La Niña. If they have the right idea, late month trouble COULD very well occur.
This is as strong support for anything this far out that I can recall ever seeing. Could the Euro suites be in la la land? They could. Look at how bad so many runs just did with 93L, which they had develop rapidly and recurve just offshore Africa.

I think eps is all but locked into this wave in terms of development.
1 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Teban54 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:00 am

SFLcane wrote:
LarryWx wrote:The CV storms on record that I’ve found that hit the CONUS 9/20+ are at least these 8:

Lili 2002
Georges 1998
Hugo 1989
Gloria 1985
Inez 1966

I think eps is all but locked into this wave in terms of development.

Considering how well Euro and its ensembles it did on Larry (and how poorly other models did, especially GFS), this could be concerning.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby LarryWx » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:05 am

The 12Z ICON has this as a H in a week moving WNW in the MDR. By far, that is the strongest ICON yet.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:17 am

GFS back to almost nothing this run, it’s so inconsistent while the Euro has been highly consistent so my money is with the Euro
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:20 am

Hurricaneman wrote:GFS back to almost nothing this run, it’s so inconsistent while the Euro has been highly consistent so my money is with the Euro

At this point I’ve basically ignored the GFS solo runs and only looked at the ensembles (like the EPS and GEPS). Clearly the operational GFS is extremely unreliable.
4 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”