Low pressure northeast of the Azores

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
zzh
Category 1
Category 1

Low pressure northeast of the Azores

#1 Postby zzh » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:44 pm

A non-tropical area of low pressure is located over the far
northeastern Atlantic several hundred miles northeast of the
Azores. This system is forecast to move south-southeastward towards
warmer waters, which could allow the low to gradually acquire some
tropical or subtropical characteristics by the middle of next week.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...10 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.
1 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Low pressure northeast of the Azores

#2 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:59 pm

I’m pretty sure this is the low that Ida merged with.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Teban54 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:21 pm

Lol 2021, are you attempting an Alpha repeat?
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:21 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:I’m pretty sure this is the low that Ida merged with.

I'm pretty sure Ida is long gone by now? I mean, its remnants dissipated a while ago
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Hurricanehink
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Hurricanehink » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:36 pm

Teban54 wrote:Lol 2021, are you attempting an Alpha repeat?

Perhaps these storms are more common than we thought, and the NHC is willing to classify them now, with the precedent of Alpha and, arguably, Grace 07 and the unclassified Portual TS in 1997.
3 likes   

Europa non è lontana
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#6 Postby Europa non è lontana » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:03 pm

Hurricanehink wrote:

Perhaps these storms are more common than we thought, and the NHC is willing to classify them now, with the precedent of Alpha and, arguably, Grace 07 and the unclassified Portual TS in 1997.

This is probably the case - not that the NHC has grown more lax, but that the precedent for classifying high-latitude TCs near Europe is now there, thanks to Vince, Pablo, and Grace, where it wasn't in 2004. There was also possibly an Alpha-analogue in November 1983, a small cyclonic system rotating within a larger upper-level system and making landfall in Portugal between the 20th and the 22nd.
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:33 pm

Europa non è lontana wrote:
Hurricanehink wrote:

This is probably the case - not that the NHC has grown more lax, but that the precedent for classifying high-latitude TCs near Europe is now there, thanks to Vince, Pablo, and Grace, where it wasn't in 2004. There was also possibly an Alpha-analogue in November 1983, a small cyclonic system rotating within a larger upper-level system and making landfall in Portugal between the 20th and the 22nd.

Agreed; it's not like these sorts of systems are a new thing, but with better technology, the NHC is more able to detect such systems when in past years such was less likely. Not to mention not every year sees these near-Europe weak NS spin-ups, although it is interesting to see how 2019-possible 2021 will feature such
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Europa non è lontana
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#8 Postby Europa non è lontana » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:26 pm

Still frontal, -50C cloud tops present on the east side.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”