Japan Research to Artificially Control Typhoon Intensity

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
doomhaMwx
Category 5
Category 5

Japan Research to Artificially Control Typhoon Intensity

#1 Postby doomhaMwx » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:31 pm

This is interesting. Under growing concern of more powerful typhoons hitting Japan due to climate change, the country is currently researching a way to artificially reduce the intensity of typhoons by sending unmanned aerial vehicles carrying hydrogen into them.
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/a9d9a ... 2fd0229f91

https://twitter.com/naepyan/status/1439607635687317507

The idea of artificially modifying TC intensity is not new. Quite similar to Japan's new research is Project Stormfury. From 1962-1983, the US flew aircrafts into some hurricanes and seeded them with chemicals in an attempt to weaken them, but it was deemed unsuccessful and discontinued.

Ironically, when Project Stormfury was planned to be moved in the West Pacific by 1976, Japan was one of the nations to oppose the plan. 45 years later, it has come to a point that the same nation is now doing a similar research to tackle the worsening effects of climate change!

0 likes   
Like my content? Consider giving a tip.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Japan Research to Artificially Control Typhoon Intensity

#2 Postby Teban54 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:35 pm

An attempt was already made last century in the Atlantic, where planes flew into hurricanes and seeded them with sodium iodide. It didn't go well, but they may have accidentally discovered eyewall replacement cycles during the project:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Stormfury

Edit: Oops, I didn't see OP already mentioned Project Stormfury at the end. Guess I'll keep my post as a high-level summary of it.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby tolakram » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:42 pm

This comes up as a conspiracy theory every time there's an eyewall replacement cycle. :) I have my doubts this is anything more than an outside idea.

While it is expected that the power of typhoons will become stronger due to the effects of global warming, it was found that the country will support research on "typhoon control" that artificially reduces the power of typhoons in the future. .. "Typhoon control" is a concept to artificially weaken the power of typhoons. In recent years, the rise in Japanese waters of the sea surface temperature due to the influence of global warming, in the force of a typhoon is concern that further strengthened, the Cabinet Office is, in one of the research questions to be addressed to focus over the 2050 "typhoon control We have selected the fields of "weather control" and "weather control", and found that we plan to support research expenses in the future. A large amount of ice crystals are sown in the eyes of the typhoon on an aircraft to reduce the energy of the typhoon, and a team of experts simulated the case of the Boso Peninsula typhoon two years ago, and found that the maximum wind speed was 3 meters. It means that we were able to reduce the damage to the house by about 30%. To achieve this, in addition to the effects on disaster prevention, the ethical issue of naturally modifying it is expected to be discussed.

Not sure how good google translate did there.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

storminabox
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby storminabox » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:54 pm

I don't like the idea of weather modification whatsoever!
7 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:03 am

One of the biggest problems is that it may allow for another system to a monster storm & become unstoppable, the reason why the one in the Atlantic stopped was because they discovered the EWRC's occur naturally & they also thought that doing that made storms last longer with more erratic tracks . . .
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”