Will 2021 have a retired name from its auxiliary list?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

Will 2021 have a retired name from its auxiliary list?

#1 Postby Ryxn » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:08 am

Last year, there were 2 (Eta and Iota) and indirectly all of them because the Greek alphabet method was discontinued.

This year, I believe it's quite possible to get a retired supplementary list storm if we get a mid- to late-October monster form and devastate the Caribbean, Central America or the US, warranting retirement.

A supplementary list retirement would be more likely if Wanda forms from 91L but those chances are dwindling.

What are your thoughts?
2 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

Re: Will 2021 have a retired name from its auxiliary list?

#2 Postby DioBrando » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:28 am

adria or braylen
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:40 am

I mean, given we will likely hit the aux list by early to mid-October at the earliest and that solid La Nina years tend to have extended activity well into late season, I would not be surprised to see something like this occur. In fact, we could look back at a chunk of La Nina years such as 1988, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2008, 2012, and 2016 (last year too); all of those years featured at least one strong, major early to mid October onward hurricane that impacted land and got its name retired. I would say the chances for this occurring again this year, with a favorable VP in October (particularly the second half of the month), is unfortunately a plausible case. A storm does not have to be a Cat 5 to be destructive and memorable for a region.

In terms of retirements and replacements, here are some personal ones I would like to see *should* an aux name need its name retired (first five potential names).

Adria --> Ashley, Braylen --> Benjamin, Caridad --> Chelsea, Deshawn --> Dominic, Emery --> Elise
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#4 Postby DioBrando » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:25 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:I mean, given we will likely hit the aux list by early to mid-October at the earliest and that solid La Nina years tend to have extended activity well into late season, I would not be surprised to see something like this occur. In fact, we could look back at a chunk of La Nina years such as 1988, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2008, 2012, and 2016 (last year too); all of those years featured at least one strong, major early to mid October onward hurricane that impacted land and got its name retired. I would say the chances for this occurring again this year, with a favorable VP in October (particularly the second half of the month), is unfortunately a plausible case. A storm does not have to be a Cat 5 to be destructive and memorable for a region.

In terms of retirements and replacements, here are some personal ones I would like to see *should* an aux name need its name retired (first five potential names).

Adria --> Ashley, Braylen --> Benjamin, Caridad --> Chelsea, Deshawn --> Dominic, Emery --> Elise

I was thinking of DeMarcus or Demario replacing Deshawn, keeping with the African-American theme for diverse names.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:26 am

DioBrando wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:I mean, given we will likely hit the aux list by early to mid-October at the earliest and that solid La Nina years tend to have extended activity well into late season, I would not be surprised to see something like this occur. In fact, we could look back at a chunk of La Nina years such as 1988, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2008, 2012, and 2016 (last year too); all of those years featured at least one strong, major early to mid October onward hurricane that impacted land and got its name retired. I would say the chances for this occurring again this year, with a favorable VP in October (particularly the second half of the month), is unfortunately a plausible case. A storm does not have to be a Cat 5 to be destructive and memorable for a region.

I was thinking of DeMarcus or Demario replacing Deshawn, keeping with the African-American theme for diverse names.

Desmond is also good imho
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#6 Postby DioBrando » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:31 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:
DioBrando wrote:

Desmond is also good imho

True, but it doesn't quite have the same "ring" as DeMarcus or Demario, tbh.
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Teban54 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:38 am

Keep in mind the auxiliary list will likely see weird names as replacements just like the list itself. Names like Ashley and Benjamin are good enough that I would reserve for regular list replacements IMO.
2 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#8 Postby DioBrando » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:46 am

Teban54 wrote:Keep in mind the auxiliary list will likely see weird names as replacements just like the list itself. Names like Ashley and Benjamin are good enough that I would reserve for regular list replacements IMO.

I've seen "weird" names on the main lists though (e.g. Edouard, Gonzalo, Shary, Jova) so I wouldn't bet against regular names going on the auxiliary lists. However, I personally think "weird" name replacements are more likely on the auxiliaries.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:35 pm

Teban54 wrote:Keep in mind the auxiliary list will likely see weird names as replacements just like the list itself. Names like Ashley and Benjamin are good enough that I would reserve for regular list replacements IMO.

Eh, you actually have a point. I guess correctly predicting any aux name replacements will be much trickier than for the regular list...also, I wouldn't necessarily call the aux names and their potential replacements "weird" but rather "rare," feel like that is a more appropriate word
4 likes   

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#10 Postby Nuno » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:42 am

If the WMO truly wanted to be culturally inclusive, why aren't they replacing retired names on standard lists with AA-associated names? Why are they on the aux list? Is this a "trial run"?
2 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#11 Postby DioBrando » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:44 am

Nuno wrote:If the WMO truly wanted to be culturally inclusive, why aren't they replacing retired names on standard lists with AA-associated names? Why are they on the aux list? Is this a "trial run"?

I mean, Omar is there, right? That name is associated with Middle Easterners. Plenty of Hispanic names on there too. And some French names there can be associated with say, Haitians.
I'd say this is a trial run, tbh. I'd expect more AA-associated names in the future especially considering the fact we're slowly running out of names.
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:16 am

DioBrando wrote:
Nuno wrote:If the WMO truly wanted to be culturally inclusive, why aren't they replacing retired names on standard lists with AA-associated names? Why are they on the aux list? Is this a "trial run"?

I mean, Omar is there, right? That name is associated with Middle Easterners. Plenty of Hispanic names on there too. And some French names there can be associated with say, Haitians.
I'd say this is a trial run, tbh. I'd expect more AA-associated names in the future especially considering the fact we're slowly running out of names.

Also Russian/Ukrainian/East Slavic names have been featured too; Olga, Igor, and Ivan as examples
2 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#13 Postby DioBrando » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:14 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
DioBrando wrote:

Also Russian/Ukrainian/East Slavic names have been featured too; Olga, Igor, and Ivan as examples

Nordic names too, like Ingrid, Irma and Gustav. Have you thought about Arvid as a possible future replacement name?
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:28 pm

DioBrando wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:
DioBrando wrote:I mean, Omar is there, right? That name is associated with Middle Easterners. Plenty of Hispanic names on there too. And some French names there can be associated with say, Haitians.

Nordic names too, like Ingrid, Irma and Gustav. Have you thought about Arvid as a possible future replacement name?

No but it does sound very unique and cool! Now regarding East Slavic names, it'll be imho a very cool thing to see names like Grigori, Dmitri, Oksana, Irina, or Natalia used in the future..either way, the WMO has the ability to be more diverse in naming, but we'll see what happens
2 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#15 Postby DioBrando » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:50 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
DioBrando wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

No but it does sound very unique and cool! Now regarding East Slavic names, it'll be imho a very cool thing to see names like Grigori, Dmitri, Oksana, Irina, or Natalia used in the future..either way, the WMO has the ability to be more diverse in naming, but we'll see what happens

Absolutely. Especially considering the fact many hurricanes are making it over to Europe now.
Australia has some "diverse" names too if you haven't noticed.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”