Tropical cyclone look-alikes

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
404UserNotFound
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Tropical cyclone look-alikes

#1 Postby 404UserNotFound » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:55 pm

Have you ever seen a satellite image of a tropical cyclone and thought that it looked surprisingly similar to a satellite image of a different tropical cyclone (or perhaps something somewhat in the shape of a tropical cyclone, such as the Patelco Credit Union logo)? Post those examples here.

To start, here's a rare example of simultaneous look-alikes, the 2019 iterations of Lekima and Krosa:
7 likes   
Please note: Never take any statements I make about forecasts at face value, as I am nowhere near professional at that.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Tropical cyclone look-alikes

#2 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:09 pm

Douglas 2020:

Ida 2021:
4 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby AnnularCane » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:24 pm

I don't have pictures but I remember thinking Daniel 2006 looked a lot like Isabel.
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#4 Postby DioBrando » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:25 pm

madeleine and lester 2016

:3
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#5 Postby AJC3 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:41 pm

Best example of simultaneous twins I can think of are STYs Ivan and Joan in 1997.

4 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Hammy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:57 pm

The overall setup with Olga and Zeta was remarkably similar, even if the storms themselves weren't.
6 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby cheezyWXguy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:12 pm

When Dorian first made it to cat4 it looked a lot like Hugo prior to its SC landfall.
5 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”