Will the Season End Early Like Some Seasons Have?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Will the Season End Early Like Some Seasons Have?

#21 Postby ElectricStorm » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:57 am

So the original question was will the season end early or not... If we get even just 1 more named storm (which is very likely) then the answer to that question is no, it would not end early.
4 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby Hammy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:00 am

ConvergenceZone wrote:
Hammy wrote:
ConvergenceZone wrote:

Guess we will have to just agree to disagree Hammy. I think maybe one more storm, maybe in November, but October is quickly coming to a close....I just don't see it getting active all the sudden.....

There's a vast difference between getting active all of a sudden (which I doubt will happen) and the season shutting down early--which would imply no further storms develop after September--which is equally unlikely.

It is highly unlikely that we go the rest of the season without development, as it takes exceptional circumstances well beyond what we are seeing to do so.

Cooling oceanic waters, more ULL's. More fronts coming down....It's not really that hard to fathom only 1 more storm the rest of the season....

That's still not an early end. In fact one more storm after a week or two would be on the later end of season endpoints.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:50 am

Hammy wrote:
ConvergenceZone wrote:
Hammy wrote:
There's a vast difference between getting active all of a sudden (which I doubt will happen) and the season shutting down early--which would imply no further storms develop after September--which is equally unlikely.

It is highly unlikely that we go the rest of the season without development, as it takes exceptional circumstances well beyond what we are seeing to do so.

Cooling oceanic waters, more ULL's. More fronts coming down....It's not really that hard to fathom only 1 more storm the rest of the season....

That's still not an early end. In fact one more storm after a week or two would be on the later end of season endpoints.

the season is still skewed though as prior to the September peak there was A LOT of activity and after the peak, not so much. You think it would be more balanced on each side of the peak as opposed to a sharp drop off........
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#24 Postby tolakram » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:07 am

I think one or two more storms. It's hard to imagine anything strong right now, given current conditions, but I have to remember that conditions will change and we do have a bit more than a month left in the season. We'll see. Oh, and ConvergenceZone, I don't really care if you disagree with me, you ask for others opinions. :lol:
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby Ubuntwo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:29 am

ConvergenceZone wrote:
Hammy wrote:
ConvergenceZone wrote:

the season is still skewed though as prior to the September peak there was A LOT of activity and after the peak, not so much. You think it would be more balanced on each side of the peak as opposed to a sharp drop off........

Climo is for more prolonged activity before the peak compared to after. But on average there is more total NS/H after the peak, especially with the secondary October peak, followed by a sharp drop off in November. That is to say post season activity is more concentrated across a month or two while pre season activity is usually more spread out. Conditions did not materialize for that second peak so we won’t see a big active burst, but a couple NS seems likely.
Last edited by Ubuntwo on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:34 am

I am willing to bet that we will see Adria at least. 2 more NSs between now and December 31 can't be that hard to accomplish, right :lol: ?
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:47 pm

tolakram wrote:I think one or two more storms. It's hard to imagine anything strong right now, given current conditions, but I have to remember that conditions will change and we do have a bit more than a month left in the season. We'll see. Oh, and ConvergenceZone, I don't really care if you disagree with me, you ask for others opinions. :lol:

Hhaha...Tolakram. Actually you and I are on the same page regarding further development, whether you want to accept it or not ;)
Love ya Man! ;)
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby Hammy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:03 pm

It's worth noting that we've had several years where October produced little to nothing where November was active, or where there was a month long gap after September activity ended. It's uncommon, but most of those years more closely fit this year's profile than the years that ended early--and happened more frequently. For reference, it's been 18 days since the last storm dissipation.

1979 (29 days)--Henri dissipated on the September 24, and nothing formed until October 23
1981 (27 days)--Irene extratropical on October 1, the next storm didn't form until the 29th. Two more storms (including a hurricane) followed in November.
1989 (20 days)--Hugo became extratropical on September 23, the next storm wasn't until October 13.
1991 (33 days)--Claudette and Erika dissipated on September 11, and the basin was completely void of activity until October 14. Two more hurricanes followed.
1994 (39 days)--Ernesto dissipated on Sep 25 (and the last of three depression that followed on September 30th), and we saw two hurricanes--including one borderline major--in November. This despite going into November with only one hurricane the entire season.
2007 (26 days)--Melissa dissipated September 30, Noel formed on October 26.
2015 (32 days)--Joaquin became extratropical October 7, and we still had Hurricane Kate in November, this despite being in an intense Nino year.
5 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Fancy1001
Category 1
Category 1

#29 Postby Fancy1001 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:01 pm

I just find it funny that the season basically shut down right before we got to Wanda.
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”