Any Early Thoughts on the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Any Early Thoughts on the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season?

#1 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:24 pm

I've decided to create this thread a bit early given there's, quite frankly, some uncertainty in whether the 2021 season is completely over or if it has a bit ammunition left. However, in the event that we do not get anything significant anytime soon (and subsequently would properly have us looking forward in time to when we can get busy tracking systems once again), I would like to ask what your very early, preliminary thoughts are in terms of what we *could* see next season, based on what we are seeing now, near future projections, long term projections, and perhaps historical precedent? I personally think that we could see another at least above average season assuming this La Nina becomes decently potent and lengthy, and the WAM becomes strong again next fall (rendering any warm ENSO events harder to accomplish), but I could be wrong, and hearing from others and what they think would, as always, be fun and useful.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Any Early Thoughts on the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season?

#2 Postby aspen » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:40 pm

I think there’s a much higher chance of a warm-neutral ENSO or an El Niño in 2022, seeing how this La Niña had two landfalling EPac hurricanes and hasn’t behaved that much like a Nina…yet. Also, we’re overdue for an El Niño. A triple-dip La Niña isn’t impossible, however, so I think it’s a coin toss as to whether the ENSO state will be favorable next year or not.

The dead October in the Atlantic and how quickly activity shut down despite a La Niña has made me think that the background state has changed in a way that is suppressing the basin, even though we know that some of the other factors include a low ITCZ and destructive interference between the Nina and MJO. However, this is such a rare and abnormal alignment of various sub-seasonal variations in a year with a favorable ENSO state and 20 NS by the end of September that I’m doubtful it happened purely by chance.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Teban54 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:54 pm

aspen wrote:I think there’s a much higher chance of a warm-neutral ENSO or an El Niño in 2022, seeing how this La Niña had two landfalling EPac hurricanes and hasn’t behaved that much like a Nina…yet. Also, we’re overdue for an El Niño. A triple-dip La Niña isn’t impossible, however, so I think it’s a coin toss as to whether the ENSO state will be favorable next year or not.

The dead October in the Atlantic and how quickly activity shut down despite a La Niña has made me think that the background state has changed in a way that is suppressing the basin, even though we know that some of the other factors include a low ITCZ and destructive interference between the Nina and MJO. However, this is such a rare and abnormal alignment of various sub-seasonal variations in a year with a favorable ENSO state and 20 NS by the end of September that I’m doubtful it happened purely by chance.

While there's no concrete evidence to back it up, I suspect we may see a 2012-like scenario of a failed El Nino.

2021 is looking somewhat like 2011 on steroids, coming off after a hyperactive season and a moderate La Nina, with a high number of storms like the preceding season but lower quality overall.
0 likes   

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby CFLHurricane » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:56 pm

I think it’s way too early to hazard an educated guess for next season. But my uneducated forecast is for a mediocre season causing much wailing and gnashing of teeth on here :lol:
0 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby aspen » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:02 pm

Teban54 wrote:
aspen wrote:I think there’s a much higher chance of a warm-neutral ENSO or an El Niño in 2022, seeing how this La Niña had two landfalling EPac hurricanes and hasn’t behaved that much like a Nina…yet. Also, we’re overdue for an El Niño. A triple-dip La Niña isn’t impossible, however, so I think it’s a coin toss as to whether the ENSO state will be favorable next year or not.

While there's no concrete evidence to back it up, I suspect we may see a 2012-like scenario of a failed El Nino.

2021 is looking somewhat like 2011 on steroids, coming off after a hyperactive season and a moderate La Nina, with a high number of storms like the preceding season but lower quality overall.

The 2011 comparisons really fall apart after September, because even that season was able to take advantage of the -ENSO base state and produce a WCar major in its October, as well as TS Sean in November.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:30 pm

Here's the thing though: there's been quite the comparison between the conditions now and in 2007, and 2007 was a moderate La Nina. We still need to wait to know for sure, but operationally-speaking 2021 could end up near the weak-moderate threshold (3-4 region especially). A later peaking moderate-strength La Nina I would think would make the subsequent year harder to achieve an El Nino, no?
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#7 Postby Yellow Evan » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:13 pm

Unless we get an El Niño or the WAM calms down (could see either happening or both), probably another above average season somehow.
1 likes   

zal0phus
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby zal0phus » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:38 pm

I've had a hunch that it'll be a relatively quiet season in terms of named storms, I feel like we'll reach K to M. That said I feel like we will still see at least one rather severe major hurricane, I definitely don't see any Category 5s on the table though.
0 likes   
And it all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...
And I just keep letting me down, letting me down, letting me down...

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:13 pm

El Nino is my 2022 Prediction
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

DestinHurricane
Category 4
Category 4

#10 Postby DestinHurricane » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:42 pm

Its been a while since i've thought about the tropics or even logged in here, as I'm in Ohio now.

But my thoughts are that we'll see an El Nino or warm neutral, but not a super El Nino. With that it'll be an average to slightly below average season, the Atlantic simply cant keep pumping out busy seasons. The longer El-Nino is put off, the stronger the eventual Nino will be. So if we stay in neutral or La Nina in 2022, there is possibility for a Super El Nino in 2023.
3 likes   
Destin/Santa Rosa Beach, Florida: Ivan 2004, Dennis 2005, Michael 2018, Sally 2020

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Eta 2020, Many future storms!

THE Ohio State University: :cold:

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby FireRat » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:40 pm

I have a hunch 2022 could prove to be quite an unpredictable, surprise type of season, it might end up being a high TS number season with a few strong hurricanes, yet one or 2 of the hurricanes may become a monstrous Cat 5. 2022 might end up feeling slow early on compared to 2020 and even this year, although we may still get to 20+ NS again (since the NHC has the technology and ability to spot more tropical storms these days, many seasons since 2010 pumped out 19+ NS). Peak season could be something to behold in terms of quality. Late season might also be bonkers, especially October, contrary to 2021.

I'd say 2022 may be like a weird cauldron mix of 1842, 1902, 1926, 1962, 1992, 1998 and 2012. Just my very early thoughts. For those of you familiar with my off-beat threads on this kind of stuff, I plan to go more in depth as soon as January or February.
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:11 am

FireRat wrote:I'd say 2022 may be like a weird cauldron mix of 1842, 1902, 1926, 1962, 1992, 1998 and 2012. Just my very early thoughts. For those of you familiar with my off-beat threads on this kind of stuff, I plan to go more in depth as soon as January or February.

This composite shows all the major hurricane tracks for those years (I added black lines and/or dots to denote the approximate tracks and/or occurrences of the notable systems in 1842, which was apparently a very active and eventful year). It is interesting to note that these years tended to feature significant hurricane impacts on a) the Gulf Coast between Sabine Pass and St. Marks and b) on the Atlantic coast between Cape Fear and New York City. This means that 2022 could continue the recent trend of impacts on those regions, unfortunately, as we have seen with storms such as Florence, Michael, Isaias, Laura, Sally, Delta, Zeta, and Ida. Interestingly, 1842 and 2012 both produced hurricane-force winds in the Mid-Atlantic region, including significant storm surge in NYC. 1842 also yielded one of Tallahassee’s (and the Big Bend’s) worst hurricane impacts on record. For the most part, the seven aforementioned years tended to avoid the Florida peninsula, but the exceptions—1926 and 1992—produced two of the most catastrophic hurricanes in South Florida on record. 1998, like 1926, also stands out for its tragically high number of fatalities, owing to Georges and Mitch.
2 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:58 am

We're really overdue for an inactive season. My guess is a warm-ENSO develops and we have a slower season.
4 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby aspen » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:46 am

I think 2022 will finally end the streak of an early-starting Atlantic season. It seemed that 2020’s base state (very easy TCG) bled into early 2021, where we saw four storms pop up before July 1st. I’m guessing whatever problems 2021 is facing that are due to the La Niña will continue into the early parts of the 2022 season.
1 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:25 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:We're really overdue for an inactive season. My guess is a warm-ENSO develops and we have a slower season.

Aside from 2017 and 2020, most of the seasons since 2016 have been generally slightly above average, ACE-wise, so I don’t think that we are “due.” The late nineteenth century likely featured longer periods of enhanced activity without a break. Apart from Irma, Jose, Maria, Lorenzo, Teddy, and Sam, long-tracking Category-4+ systems have generally been absent from the MDR. By contrast, the late 1800s (in all probability) and the period of 1995–2012 featured a much higher seasonal frequency of such storms. At this rate, I’m going to “buck the trend” and posit another slightly-above-average season in 2022. A strong Niño is likely to develop in time for 2023, however.
1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:12 pm

I think there might be some storms
3 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#17 Postby Yellow Evan » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:29 pm

Shell Mound wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:We're really overdue for an inactive season. My guess is a warm-ENSO develops and we have a slower season.

Aside from 2017 and 2020, most of the seasons since 2016 have been generally slightly above average, ACE-wise, so I don’t think that we are “due.” The late nineteenth century likely featured longer periods of enhanced activity without a break. Apart from Irma, Jose, Maria, Lorenzo, Teddy, and Sam, long-tracking Category-4+ systems have generally been absent from the MDR. By contrast, the late 1800s (in all probability) and the period of 1995–2012 featured a much higher seasonal frequency of such storms. At this rate, I’m going to “buck the trend” and posit another slightly-above-average season in 2022. A strong Niño is likely to develop in time for 2023, however.

ENSO was really volatile in the late 1800’s so despite a super favorable background stare, there probably were a few quiet seasons in there.
6 likes   

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Schriever, Louisiana (60 miles southwest of New Orleans)

#18 Postby cajungal » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:55 pm

Hoping 2022 gives us a much needed break here on the gulf coast, esp Louisiana. The last 2 years have been brutal for us
4 likes   

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#19 Postby weeniepatrol » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:53 pm

el nino
0 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:10 pm

Shell Mound wrote:

Yeah but I mean like, geniuenly dead. Like 2009 or 2013 levels of inactive.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”