How many named storms will form in August?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

How many named storms will form in August?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:12 pm

One
3%
Two
5%
Three
19%
Four
33%
Five
23%
Six or more
11%
None will form
5%

Total votes: 73

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: How many named storms will form in August?

#41 Postby Hammy » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:01 pm

ConvergenceZone wrote:And just think, earlier this summer most of us were gung ho(me included) thinking about how crazy busy it was going to be due to how quickly the tropics has heated up earlier, and then everything just completely died, so strange...... I think we will 2 or 3 storms in September though and then maybe 1 or 2 in October. ....

It's highly likely given the reason it's quiet is the monsoon trough, that the latter half of September and October have more potential to be active--the ITCZ has to move south as the seasons change, so at some point it will go further south--at which point we'll start getting stronger waves.

Last year it was too far south in October, but the flip side of that, it was far enough south during August and September to produce storms.
3 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:44 pm

Hammy wrote:
ConvergenceZone wrote:And just think, earlier this summer most of us were gung ho(me included) thinking about how crazy busy it was going to be due to how quickly the tropics has heated up earlier, and then everything just completely died, so strange...... I think we will 2 or 3 storms in September though and then maybe 1 or 2 in October. ....

It's highly likely given the reason it's quiet is the monsoon trough, that the latter half of September and October have more potential to be active--the ITCZ has to move south as the seasons change, so at some point it will go further south--at which point we'll start getting stronger waves.

Last year it was too far south in October, but the flip side of that, it was far enough south during August and September to produce storms.

Yea, that's a good point. I guess we'll see if we have 1 good solid month left in the season or 2...........I know some seasons the tropics seem to die off by the end of September and everything goes quite, except maybe a stray storm that forms in October. We'll see what happens....
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby Hammy » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:00 pm

ConvergenceZone wrote:
Hammy wrote:

Yea, that's a good point. I guess we'll see if we have 1 good solid month left in the season or 2...........I know some seasons the tropics seem to die off by the end of September and everything goes quite, except maybe a stray storm that forms in October. We'll see what happens....

It's worth noting the seasons that came to an end after September had a generally active August/September.
4 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#44 Postby MGC » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:52 pm

Glad I didn't vote in the poll because like my seasonal guess at how many storms are going to get named I would have missed by a wide margin. Looks like August is going to be zero or one at best......MGC
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby SoupBone » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:24 am

So, are you zero voters biting your nails right now? :lol:
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#46 Postby Ntxw » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:23 am

0 and 1 have the best odds to win. 2 has a chance if 91L gets going fast today. 3 or more is almost out of contention.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby SoupBone » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:48 pm

Tick Tock, t-minus 2 hours 12 minutes and counting.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Schriever, Louisiana (60 miles southwest of New Orleans)

#48 Postby cajungal » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:04 pm

So if Danielle doesn’t form by midnight I win a prize? I voted zero
5 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#49 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:05 pm

cajungal wrote:So if Danielle doesn’t form by midnight I win a prize? I voted zero

The polls we do are to activate the forum and have some fun.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Schriever, Louisiana (60 miles southwest of New Orleans)

#50 Postby cajungal » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:14 pm

cycloneye wrote:
cajungal wrote:So if Danielle doesn’t form by midnight I win a prize? I voted zero

The polls we do are to activate the forum and have some fun.

I know. Was just kidding about the prize lol
3 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#51 Postby Hurricane2022 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:08 pm

00:09 UTC Sept 01, 2022

Well, august has ended.
With 0 named storms.
:sun:
7 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#52 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:15 pm

4 members voted for the winning option.
6 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

WiscoWx02
Category 1
Category 1

#53 Postby WiscoWx02 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:36 pm

Hurricane2022 wrote:00:09 UTC Sept 01, 2022

Well, august has ended.
With 0 named storms.

Never thought I’d see the day we would have no named storms in the month of August…we just witnessed history folks.
4 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#54 Postby Astromanía » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:37 pm

And this is a La niña year xD
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#55 Postby Hurricaneman » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:44 pm

Anyone who said nothing in August you guessed right
0 likes   

Fancy1001
Category 1
Category 1

#56 Postby Fancy1001 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:19 pm

WiscoWx02 wrote:
Hurricane2022 wrote:00:09 UTC Sept 01, 2022

Well, august has ended.
With 0 named storms.

Never thought I’d see the day we would have no named storms in the month of August…we just witnessed history folks.

Technically this is history at least in recorded history Since even though this has happened four times before, this is the first time that it’s happened during a La Niña.
5 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”