Expert forecasts for 2023 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Expert forecasts for 2023 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#241 Postby cycloneye » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:41 am

Verification of the CSU forecasts.

https://tropical.colostate.edu/Forecast/2023-11.pdf
4 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#242 Postby Teban54 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:55 am

Back when each of the CSU forecasts was up, people were calling them too aggressive and were certain that the season would end up below average. It's incredible how well they verified when it comes to almost every single metric.
4 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Expert forecasts for 2023 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: CSU Verification of 2023 forecasts is up

#243 Postby cycloneye » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:40 pm

NOAA has a summary.

The Atlantic basin saw 20 named storms in 2023, which ranks fourth for the most-named storms in a year since 1950

https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/2023- ... ms-in-year

https://twitter.com/NOAA/status/1729532521925190021

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#244 Postby al78 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:16 pm

Teban54 wrote:

Back when each of the CSU forecasts was up, people were calling them too aggressive and were certain that the season would end up below average. It's incredible how well they verified when it comes to almost every single metric.

I thought 160 ACE was too aggressive at the time and I was correct. They overpredicted in July and August although they were still good forecasts. Much better than the UK Met Office which went for a ridiculous >200 ACE.
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Expert forecasts for 2023 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: CSU & NOAA verification of 2023 forecasts are up

#245 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:57 pm

To sum everything up:

Looks like a super warm Atlantic does indeed win over El Nino, at least activity-wise.
4 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#246 Postby Teban54 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:38 pm

al78 wrote:
Teban54 wrote:

I thought 160 ACE was too aggressive at the time and I was correct. They overpredicted in July and August although they were still good forecasts. Much better than the UK Met Office which went for a ridiculous >200 ACE.

Umm, I don't think 146 vs 160 ACE is that much of a difference, especially given how unpredictable ACE can be and how many random factors go into it. It probably falls within the standard deviation (not to mention it would likely have been much higher if the Bermuda high wasn't non-existent).

If the season ended with 120 ACE, then yeah we can say the forecast busted too high.
1 likes   

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#247 Postby al78 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:41 pm

Teban54 wrote:
al78 wrote:
Teban54 wrote:Back when each of the CSU forecasts was up, people were calling them too aggressive and were certain that the season would end up below average. It's incredible how well they verified when it comes to almost every single metric.

Umm, I don't think 146 vs 160 ACE is that much of a difference, especially given how unpredictable ACE can be and how many random factors go into it. It probably falls within the standard deviation (not to mention it would likely have been much higher if the Bermuda high wasn't non-existent).

If the season ended with 120 ACE, then yeah we can say the forecast busted too high.

Hence why I added they were still good forecasts, I never said they busted.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”