2023 Cyclone Retirement (Poll Included at Top) Dora / Otis retired

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Will Any Storm Be Retired After the 2023 Season?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:40 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 43

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

Re: 2023 Cyclone Retirement

#121 Postby DioBrando » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:16 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:At this point in the season, the only name that is probably going to be retired is Idalia. It caused >$9 billion in damage, and Floridians will forever associate the name "Idalia" with this hurricane. I doubt Franklin will be retired; it caused significantly less damage, and the bar for retirement seems to be so much higher for storms that impact Hispaniola; case in point, Gordon was not retired in 1994.

I highly doubt Franklin is getting retired as I have not heard anything about major loss of life in Haiti and DR, let alone damages. Gordon 1994 is arguably the most baffling un-retired storm imho as it caused thousands of deaths (even more than some of the most recent disastrous hurricanes like Harvey, Irma, Dorian, etc.), yet somehow it escaped retirement. I have no idea what happened there.

DR actually requested Franklin to be retired
Imagine if Franklin goes and Idalia doesn't. Weird

DioBrando wrote:IT'S SO OVER FOR FRANKLIN

Quoted from the Dominican Republic report:
Replace the name Franklin with Ford please

Original:
Reemplace el nombre Franklin con Ford por favor

https://wmoomm.sharepoint.com/:w:/r/sit ... irect=true

0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

ljmac75
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: 2023 Cyclone Retirement (Poll Included at Top)

#122 Postby ljmac75 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:29 pm

How often does the WMO decline requests for storm names to be retired?
0 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#123 Postby DioBrando » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:35 pm

ljmac75 wrote:How often does the WMO decline requests for storm names to be retired?

I have no idea, do you think WMO would decline Franklin?
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#124 Postby Teban54 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:57 pm

ljmac75 wrote:How often does the WMO decline requests for storm names to be retired?

There were rumors back in 2022 that Barbados requested Elsa to be retired, but it didn't. However, we don't know whether that's true.
0 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#125 Postby DioBrando » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:33 pm

Teban54 wrote:

There were rumors back in 2022 that Barbados requested Elsa to be retired, but it didn't. However, we don't know whether that's true.

do you think the request for franklin will be denied
0 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#126 Postby GSBHurricane » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:20 am

DioBrando wrote:
Teban54 wrote:

I think Franklin will be accepted. The damage figures alone don't tell the whole story. 425,000 homes were cut off from power there and 1.7 million from drinkable water, including 830,000 from 120 aqueducts being put out of service because of Franklin. Also, it cut off 24 whole communities in the Dominican Republic. This kind of feels like Kenna 2.0 where it only did $100 million in damage but San Blas saw 95% of its homes damaged or destroyed, 30 villages lost communication, and the entirety of San Blas' banana, tobacco, and tomato crops were destroyed.
2 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#127 Postby DioBrando » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:48 am

GSBHurricane wrote:
DioBrando wrote:
Teban54 wrote:There were rumors back in 2022 that Barbados requested Elsa to be retired, but it didn't. However, we don't know whether that's true.

I think Franklin will be accepted. The damage figures alone don't tell the whole story. 425,000 homes were cut off from power there and 1.7 million from drinkable water, including 830,000 from 120 aqueducts being put out of service because of Franklin. Also, it cut off 24 whole communities in the Dominican Republic. This kind of feels like Kenna 2.0 where it only did $100 million in damage but San Blas saw 95% of its homes damaged or destroyed, 30 villages lost communication, and the entirety of San Blas' banana, tobacco, and tomato crops were destroyed.

THIS IS WILD IF FRANKLIN GETS RETIRED AND IDALIA DOESN'T :eek: :eek:
1 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#128 Postby Teban54 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:03 pm

GSBHurricane wrote:
DioBrando wrote:
Teban54 wrote:There were rumors back in 2022 that Barbados requested Elsa to be retired, but it didn't. However, we don't know whether that's true.

The irony is that the exact same argument applies to Idalia. We'll see whether US requests retirement.
1 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#129 Postby DioBrando » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:18 pm

Teban54 wrote:
GSBHurricane wrote:
DioBrando wrote:do you think the request for franklin will be denied

The irony is that the exact same argument applies to Idalia. We'll see whether US requests retirement.

How, please explain? Idalia hit the middle of nowhere
0 likes   

Landy
Category 1
Category 1

#130 Postby Landy » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:34 pm

Original:

The WMO handles what the replacement names for retired storms are, not any one country's met service. Combined with this, the poor grammar of this statement compared to the rest of the document, the fact that DR's long-form document makes no mention of retirement, and the fact that the document is somehow publicly editable, I'd disregard this. How did you come across this?
1 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#131 Postby DioBrando » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:37 pm

Landy wrote:

Original:

The WMO handles what the replacement names for retired storms are, not any one country's met service. Combined with this, the poor grammar of this statement compared to the rest of the document, the fact that DR's long-form document makes no mention of retirement, and the fact that the document is somehow publicly editable, I'd disregard this. How did you come across this?

From this link found from the WMO RA IV committee
0 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#132 Postby GSBHurricane » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:21 pm

DioBrando wrote:
Landy wrote:

Original:

From this link found from the WMO RA IV committee

Actually it does kind of make sense for it to be fake considering the poor grammar and the fact that anyone can edit it.
1 likes   

ljmac75
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#133 Postby ljmac75 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:44 pm

Please don't tell me someone is out there vandalizing the WMO Hurricane Committee meeting documents. I hope they disable editing the documents, or at least have some revision history to check.
3 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#134 Postby GSBHurricane » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:36 pm

ljmac75 wrote:Please don't tell me someone is out there vandalizing the WMO Hurricane Committee meeting documents. I hope they disable editing the documents, or at least have some revision history to check.

Who really knows, to be honest?
0 likes   

ljmac75
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#135 Postby ljmac75 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:02 pm

GSBHurricane wrote:
ljmac75 wrote:Please don't tell me someone is out there vandalizing the WMO Hurricane Committee meeting documents. I hope they disable editing the documents, or at least have some revision history to check.

A bunch of files in the country reports got edited recently by a "guest contributor" and they all include requests to replace Franklin, Lee and Phillipe with Ford, Laquavious, and a derogatory term for Indians starting with the letter P. Aside from Franklin, I don't remember those being requested before by any of the countries.
6 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#136 Postby GSBHurricane » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:35 am

ljmac75 wrote:
GSBHurricane wrote:

A bunch of files in the country reports got edited recently by a "guest contributor" and they all include requests to replace Franklin, Lee and Phillipe with Ford, Laquavious, and a derogatory term for Indians starting with the letter P. Aside from Franklin, I don't remember those being requested before by any of the countries.

That's certainly not a good sign.
0 likes   

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#137 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:19 pm

ljmac75 wrote:
GSBHurricane wrote:

For someone to actually take the time to falsify information like this (with a shot of thinly veiled racism at that) is moronic. Hope they find the culprit.
2 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#138 Postby DioBrando » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:36 pm

ljmac75 wrote:
GSBHurricane wrote:

Which particular country report did you find this from?
0 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#139 Postby DioBrando » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:40 pm

DorkyMcDorkface wrote:
ljmac75 wrote:
GSBHurricane wrote:Who really knows, to be honest?

For someone to actually take the time to falsify information like this (with a shot of thinly veiled racism at that) is moronic. Hope they find the culprit.

Which country report did you find this information from? The documents all now seem to have been reverted back to the originals.
Thank you to whoever did this, you're a star.
0 likes   

ljmac75
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#140 Postby ljmac75 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:45 pm

DioBrando wrote:
DorkyMcDorkface wrote:
ljmac75 wrote:A bunch of files in the country reports got edited recently by a "guest contributor" and they all include requests to replace Franklin, Lee and Phillipe with Ford, Laquavious, and a derogatory term for Indians starting with the letter P. Aside from Franklin, I don't remember those being requested before by any of the countries.

Which country report did you find this information from? The documents all now seem to have been reverted back to the originals.
Thank you to whoever did this, you're a star.

The files in the Canada and BCT folders were where I noticed it. Like you say, they're gone now.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”