2023 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Weathertracker96
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: 2023 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

#1821 Postby Weathertracker96 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:43 am

Hurricane2022 wrote:https://imageshack.com/i/poOHmkQMp
https://imageshack.com/i/pmueHntlp
https://imageshack.com/i/pmaLg8mEp
I know, it's still in the veeery long-range, but I found it interesting. I'd also like to know what the Pro-Mets here think about this.
https://imageshack.com/i/pnBcSiZIp
https://imageshack.com/i/pmBcL0hmp

Is the MJO expected to move into the area around that time possibly enhancing development?
0 likes   

floridasun
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1822 Postby floridasun » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:39 am

I think season over November have little system forming shear go up in carribbean only thing that go system is warm water no front have hit area to cool area off yet
0 likes   

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1823 Postby Jr0d » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:58 pm

GFS is doing GFS things again....

The door us closing, however i dont think a late season CAG storm is an unrealistic possibility just unlikely.
0 likes   

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#1824 Postby SouthFLTropics » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:04 pm

The GFS can go pound sand… I’m scheduled to be on a cruise to the Bahamas on Freedom of the Seas from November 17 to 20. If that GFS comes true and wrecks my holiday weekend, I’m going to seriously have a problem with it. It would be just my luck that it has been showing phantoms left and right and we haven’t had anything in South Florida all season and then this time it would be right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 likes   
Fourth Generation Floridian...With lots of storm knowledge passed down from my elders...

Personal Storm History: David 79, Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05, Matthew 16, Irma 17

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#1825 Postby cheezyWXguy » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:24 pm

SouthFLTropics wrote:The GFS can go pound sand… I’m scheduled to be on a cruise to the Bahamas on Freedom of the Seas from November 17 to 20. If that GFS comes true and wrecks my holiday weekend, I’m going to seriously have a problem with it. It would be just my luck that it has been showing phantoms left and right and we haven’t had anything in South Florida all season and then this time it would be right.

The amount of false positives in this area recently bodes well for you, but I can’t quite fully ignore it. Gefs has a strong signal for this system too, and there are even a few eps members from 0z that show development in this timeframe but they stay south toward CA. Still, time is running out and it seems really unlikely this would actually pan out. My skepticism is bordering on cynicism at this point.
0 likes   

Weathertracker96
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1826 Postby Weathertracker96 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:09 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:
SouthFLTropics wrote:The GFS can go pound sand… I’m scheduled to be on a cruise to the Bahamas on Freedom of the Seas from November 17 to 20. If that GFS comes true and wrecks my holiday weekend, I’m going to seriously have a problem with it. It would be just my luck that it has been showing phantoms left and right and we haven’t had anything in South Florida all season and then this time it would be right.

The amount of false positives in this area recently bodes well for you, but I can’t quite fully ignore it. Gefs has a strong signal for this system too, and there are even a few eps members from 0z that show development in this timeframe but they stay south toward CA. Still, time is running out and it seems really unlikely this would actually pan out. My skepticism is bordering on cynicism at this point.

The Euro is showing a 1008mb low in the CA area towards the end of the run. I don’t know if that would qualify as a possible system or not
0 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#1827 Postby cheezyWXguy » Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:26 pm

Weathertracker96 wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:

The Euro is showing a 1008mb low in the CA area towards the end of the run. I don’t know if that would qualify as a possible system or not

Euro doesn’t run far enough out to really pick it up. Gfs/gefs/eps signals are in the hour 280-360 range, which is far enough out into fantasy land that this shouldn’t really be taken seriously at this point
3 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#1828 Postby Hurricane2022 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:36 pm

Hurricane2022 wrote:https://imageshack.com/i/poOHmkQMp
https://imageshack.com/i/pmueHntlp
https://imageshack.com/i/pmaLg8mEp
I know, it's still in the veeery long-range, but I found it interesting. I'd also like to know what the Pro-Mets here think about this.
https://imageshack.com/i/pnBcSiZIp
https://imageshack.com/i/pmBcL0hmp

Next!
2 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#1829 Postby blp » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:14 am

Are we going to get one final one... EPS showing some activity including GEFS, GEPS. Personally, I will wait this time for the Ops runs to show something. Let see what happens.

2 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Weathertracker96
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1830 Postby Weathertracker96 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:31 pm

The GFS/GEFS, GEPS AND EPS still hint at something in the Caribbean. I couldn’t tell if the 12z Euro operational is slowly hinting but interesting to see if something does try to form during the last few weeks of hurricane season.
1 likes   

REDHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1831 Postby REDHurricane » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:48 pm

Ensembles still hinting at possibility of development mid-month, still fantasy land at this point but I'll be watching it over the next few days.

2 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#1832 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:55 pm

I think the USA lucked out incredibly well this year. Only had one big storm even though we had a crazy number of storms develop...........Now we will just see what 2024 brings.........See ya all next year.
2 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#1833 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:39 am

ConvergenceZone wrote:I think the USA lucked out incredibly well this year. Only had one big storm even though we had a crazy number of storms develop...........Now we will just see what 2024 brings.........See ya all next year.

Yeah, it reminded me of 2010 in a lot of ways -- monster storms like Franklin, Idalida*, and Lee but only Imelda hit the USA (and in the most rural part of Florida possible).
Last edited by Hypercane_Kyle on Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Old-TimeCane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1834 Postby Old-TimeCane » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:21 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:Yeah, it reminded me of 2010 in a lot of ways -- monster storms like Franklin, Imelda, and Lee but only Imelda hit the USA (and in the most rural part of Florida possible).

I think you meant "Idalia". Imelda was in 2019.
0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#1835 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:16 pm

Old-TimeCane wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:Yeah, it reminded me of 2010 in a lot of ways -- monster storms like Franklin, Imelda, and Lee but only Imelda hit the USA (and in the most rural part of Florida possible).

I think you meant "Idalia". Imelda was in 2019.

Apologizes, so many infamous "I" storms that they get mixed up in the brain.
1 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#1836 Postby Hurricane2022 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:42 pm

I'm floored after watching this round of GFS. What a phenomenal mess.
6 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

REDHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1837 Postby REDHurricane » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:37 am

Models in pretty good agreement that something is going to try to spin up in the western Caribbean around 7-10 days out -- likely a slop storm if anything, but either way I'd say that an ensemble consensus on the background pattern at +240 hours is starting to move this out of fantasy land and more into "actually keep an eye on it" territory. Let's see how the Euro trends over the next couple of days though.

{EPS on left, GEFS in middle, GEPS on right}
2 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1838 Postby wxman57 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:30 am

GFS remains the only model predicting any western Caribbean storm, as it has done so on countless occasions this season. Generally, this means it is wrong. There may be another area of squalls in the west or SW Caribbean next week that likely moves into Central America. That's what I would expect to happen. Just like with 97L.
8 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1839 Postby wxman57 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:30 am

Here's a comparison of today's 12Z GFS & Canadian, along with the 00Z Euro (12Z isn't in yet). See if you can spot the outlier for next Wednesday evening.

2 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#1840 Postby underthwx » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:55 am

wxman57 wrote:Here's a comparison of today's 12Z GFS & Canadian, along with the 00Z Euro (12Z isn't in yet). See if you can spot the outlier for next Wednesday evening.

http://wxman57.com/images/3models.JPG

Hello Xman, can you repost the image?
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”