List of names with the pronunciations from 2023 thru 2028

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
WalterWhite
Category 1
Category 1

Re: List of names with the pronunciations from 2023 thru 2028

#21 Postby WalterWhite » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:28 am

wxman57 wrote:Question - since when does the name "Kyle" have more than one syllable? "Ky-ull"??? What about words like "pale" (pay-ull) or "trail" (tra-ull). Ridiculous. How about "Kile" for "Kyle"?

I have only ever heard "Kyle" pronounced with one syllable.
Last edited by WalterWhite on Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#22 Postby tolakram » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:28 pm

DioBrando wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:You know, sometimes I question some of these names :lol:

Like "Beryl?" They couldn't do "Brittany" or "Brianna?"

Or "Patty" (like a hamburger patty or Krabby Patty or, better yet, "Patricia" but shorter)? I mean, it's almost like they could have gone with "Paige" or "Phoebe"...

I mean, the names are the names and there's nothing we can do to change them unless they get retired as destructive, powerful storms. But I do occasionally wonder how some of these names exactly even found their way onto the Atlantic naming list. :)

because boomers picked them for fellow boomers in 1979

You younger generations are so silly. /boomer
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#23 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:51 pm

DioBrando wrote:

Actually the oldest Boomers were born in 1946, so only would have been turning 33 in 1979. I bet most of the people on whatever committee came up with the original lists of names were older than 33.
1 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#24 Postby DioBrando » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:01 pm

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:
DioBrando wrote:

Actually the oldest Boomers were born in 1946, so only would have been turning 33 in 1979. I bet most of the people on whatever committee came up with the original lists of names were older than 33.

Do you think we'd ever see an Atlantic hurricane with a non European name?
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#25 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:10 pm

DioBrando wrote:Do you think we'd ever see an Atlantic hurricane with a non European name?

Well, of course. We will almost surely have Imani used in 2027 and Idris in 2028. And though Omar has been used as a given name in the USA for several generations, its origin is from the Arabic language, so if you count it we already had a rather powerful hurricane with a "non-European" name in 2008 as well as a tropical storm in 2020.
3 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:39 am

DioBrando wrote:
Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:
DioBrando wrote:

Do you think we'd ever see an Atlantic hurricane with a non European name?

From what I know, the NHC has yet to use names like Irving, Imogen, Ivy, Indigo, and Ivar

Granted, these names are pretty rare and I personally have not met a single person in my life thus far with such name, but they are nevertheless European names.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”