What will be the name of the first major hurricane of the 2023 Atlantic season?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

What will be the name of the first major hurricane of the 2023 Atlantic season?

#1 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:16 am

I'm personally going to go with Emily.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

Re: What will be the name of the first major hurricane of the 2023 Atlantic season?

#2 Postby Hurricane2022 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:23 am

Will be Don, an fish storm in the MDR that briefly reaches category 3 and later is destroyed by shear near Lesser Antilles in mid-July.
0 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

Re: What will be the name of the first major hurricane of the 2023 Atlantic season?

#3 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:06 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:I'm personally going to go with Emily.

I'll second that...and I am still bitter over them not retiring it in 2005! Emily Retribution!
3 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby AnnularCane » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:29 pm

ScottNAtlanta wrote:

I'll second that...and I am still bitter over them not retiring it in 2005! Emily Retribution!

I sort of have a "sense" that Emily will be retired this time, but my "senses" can be iffy so don't put too much stake into it. :wink: (Was rather accurate regarding NOLA in 2005 though.)

Oh, ummm, first major hurricane. Well, uhhh...I dunno. :oops: Oh what the heck, I guess I'll go with Emily too.
1 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby ElectricStorm » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:38 pm

I'm also going with Emily. Mid/late August Cat 3 in the MDR
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby CFLHurricane » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:25 pm

Y’all are seriously misunderestimating Gert the great. This fella has destiny written all over him.
1 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby AnnularCane » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:10 pm

CFLHurricane wrote:Y’all are seriously misunderestimating Gert the great. This fella has destiny written all over him.

Gert is a girl, and she can be a major. Just not the first. :)

Well, maybe...
1 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby aspen » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:32 pm

AnnularCane wrote:
CFLHurricane wrote:Y’all are seriously misunderestimating Gert the great. This fella has destiny written all over him.

Gert is a girl, and she can be a major. Just not the first. :)

Well, maybe...

Gert sure was close to being the season’s first major back in 2017. Maybe it was a major. Was there ever recon into Gert ‘17?
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:30 pm

Idalia. Category 5 monster in mid-September.
0 likes   

ljmac75
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#10 Postby ljmac75 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:59 pm

Idalia, 150 mph cat 4 making landfall along the Gulf Coast, as is tradition.
2 likes   

LemieT
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#11 Postby LemieT » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:32 pm

Calling it now. Harold in late August :cheesy:
0 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#12 Postby Hurricane2022 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:53 pm

Hurricane2022 wrote:Will be Don, an fish storm in the MDR that briefly reaches category 3 and later is destroyed by shear near Lesser Antilles in mid-July.

Not this time
0 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:25 pm

I still stand by my mid-late August MDR Cat 3 but at this point I highly doubt it's going to be Emily. Probably Harold or Idalia
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby chaser1 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:02 am

Looks like most everyones guesses are still in play.
However my vote goes to Hurricane Gurt to be season's 1st major on September 4 (as a Cat 4) and will eventually threaten Bermuda, but ultimately will safely pass around 100 miles to the west of the island.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby chaser1 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:57 pm

Well, those who went with Don or Emily for 1st major apparantly whiffed. Don't feel bad, I'm not feeling too confident with Gurt at this point :lol: Those who went with Harold or Idalia are perhsps sitting in the best position
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby ElectricStorm » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:00 pm

chaser1 wrote:Well, those who went with Don or Emily for 1st major apparantly whiffed. Don't feel bad, I'm not feeling too confident with Gurt at this point :lol: Those who went with Harold or Idalia are perhsps sitting in the best position

Franklin could have a decent chance north of the islands
1 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby chaser1 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:13 pm

ElectricStorm wrote:
chaser1 wrote:Well, those who went with Don or Emily for 1st major apparantly whiffed. Don't feel bad, I'm not feeling too confident with Gurt at this point :lol: Those who went with Harold or Idalia are perhsps sitting in the best position

Franklin could have a decent chance north of the islands

You're right! I was betting on TD6 to get tagged Franklin first, and that looked to be a sure bet to be shredded. After Hispanola though, Franklin may find that Atlantic goldilox region to really deepen.
0 likes   

ljmac75
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#18 Postby ljmac75 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:18 pm

ljmac75 wrote:Idalia, 150 mph cat 4 making landfall along the Gulf Coast, as is tradition.

Well, I was close anyway.
6 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby AnnularCane » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:14 pm

AnnularCane wrote:
ScottNAtlanta wrote:

I sort of have a "sense" that Emily will be retired this time, but my "senses" can be iffy so don't put too much stake into it. :wink: (Was rather accurate regarding NOLA in 2005 though.)

Oh, ummm, first major hurricane. Well, uhhh...I dunno. :oops: Oh what the heck, I guess I'll go with Emily too.

I guess I was one off.

What can I say, I always seem to have high expectations for Emily. :sadly:
1 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:39 pm

AnnularCane wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:
ScottNAtlanta wrote:I'll second that...and I am still bitter over them not retiring it in 2005! Emily Retribution!

I guess I was one off.

What can I say, I always seem to have high expectations for Emily. :sadly:

It's because she was ROBBED in 2005!!! :sadly: :sadly: :sadly:
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”