Could next season be hyperactive post Nino?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Ianswfl
Category 1
Category 1

Could next season be hyperactive post Nino?

#1 Postby Ianswfl » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:58 pm

I'm looking at the long range climate models on TT and all of them by next spring and summer all are showing way above normal SST in the Atlantic! When El Nino fades next season and we have similar SST to this year we should have a high number and ACE season.

This season is focused more on the sub tropics it seems due to El Nino. I would suspect next season with El Nino fading more activity in the Caribbean season and in the Gulf with less shear. Next season is looking interesting.
1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Could next season be hyperactive post Nino?

#2 Postby LarryWx » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:05 pm

Ianswfl wrote:I'm looking at the long range climate models on TT and all of them by next spring and summer all are showing way above normal SST in the Atlantic! When El Nino fades next season and we have similar SST to this year we should have a high number and ACE season.

This season is focused more on the sub tropics it seems due to El Nino. I would suspect next season with El Nino fading more activity in the Caribbean season and in the Gulf with less shear. Next season is looking interesting.

Has the current season had much shear in the Caribbean and Gulf to this point relative to overall climo? I thought it had been rather low.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#3 Postby weeniepatrol » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:07 pm

LarryWx wrote:
Ianswfl wrote:I'm looking at the long range climate models on TT and all of them by next spring and summer all are showing way above normal SST in the Atlantic! When El Nino fades next season and we have similar SST to this year we should have a high number and ACE season.

Has the current season had much shear in the Caribbean and Gulf to this point relative to overall climo? I thought it had been rather low.

It's been below average relative to overall climo and far far far below average relative to strong ninos
3 likes   

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#4 Postby weeniepatrol » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:08 pm

Assuming El Nino does decay and does transition into La Nina, then yes, absolutely. This is by no means guaranteed; some el Nino events last for years (rarer than La Ninas doing so however) and some only decay to warm neutral. Most strong El Ninos, however, do decay after a year and do transition to Nina

The activity we are observing this season may, in hindsight be a massive red flag for the next year; we'll see
2 likes   

Ianswfl
Category 1
Category 1

#5 Postby Ianswfl » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:20 pm

weeniepatrol wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

It's been below average relative to overall climo and far far far below average relative to strong ninos

idalia struggled with shear most of its life.
0 likes   

Ianswfl
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby Ianswfl » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:23 pm

weeniepatrol wrote:Assuming El Nino does decay and does transition into La Nina, then yes, absolutely. This is by no means guaranteed; some el Nino events last for years (rarer than La Ninas doing so however) and some only decay to warm neutral. Most strong El Ninos, however, do decay after a year and do transition to Nina

The activity we are observing this season may, in hindsight be a massive red flag for the next year; we'll see

Some of the precip maps for next season are above average too for FL. Cansips for next July and Aug way above normal for Southern half of fl!
0 likes   

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#7 Postby weeniepatrol » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:38 pm

Ianswfl wrote:
weeniepatrol wrote:Assuming El Nino does decay and does transition into La Nina, then yes, absolutely. This is by no means guaranteed; some el Nino events last for years (rarer than La Ninas doing so however) and some only decay to warm neutral. Most strong El Ninos, however, do decay after a year and do transition to Nina

Some of the precip maps for next season are above average too for FL. Cansips for next July and Aug way above normal for Southern half of fl!

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure those models simply exhibit little skill at those kinds of timeframes
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Teban54 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:09 am

Ianswfl wrote:
weeniepatrol wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

From the indicators thread:

1 likes   

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#9 Postby weeniepatrol » Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:48 am

Ianswfl wrote:
weeniepatrol wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

One system is not representative of the basin as a whole averaged over the season, however.
1 likes   

WeatherBoy2000
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#10 Postby WeatherBoy2000 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:18 am

Modeling all the way out to the next hurricane season has dubious accuracy at best, however, it doesn't mean the past can't give us a clue with how next year may go down. All the strong el ninos since 1995 went on to become la ninas in the following year (1995, 1998, 2010, 2016). Three out of the four were hyperactive.

Here is the ace for la nina seasons that just followed el nino events since 1995 (strength of el nino not applied):

1995: 227
1998: 182
2005: 245
2007: 74
2010: 166
2016: 141

http://tropical.atmos.colostate.edu/Realtime/index.php?arch&loc=northatlantic

4 out of the 6 were hyperactive, 2016 was solidly active, and 2007 is the notable odd one out. Based on this, I believe a very active season can be anticipated for next year.
3 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:16 am

I'd rather get through this season before worrying too much about next season.

However, with that being said, I can't help but slightly speculate that the activity we're seeing now is a possible sign of a very robust and significantly active season in 2024, barring any 2022 or 2013-like surprises.

Assuming the El Nino in place now weakens or dissipates next year, we will be faced with either a neutral or a La Nina year. Historically, these years have tended to be more active than El Nino years (especially first-year La Ninas). Models also seem to indicate that the warmth anomalies in the basin that we are seeing now and have seen throughout most of the year may not really taper off by next year, so I do expect the basin to be very warm again by the start of next hurricane season. And with how well the Atlantic has been performing despite a moderate El Nino....you can't help but wonder what activity would look like if the El Nino were to vanish or diminish in strength.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

WalterWhite
Category 1
Category 1

#12 Postby WalterWhite » Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:29 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:I'd rather get through this season before worrying too much about next season.

However, with that being said, I can't help but slightly speculate that the activity we're seeing now is a possible sign of a very robust and significantly active season in 2024, barring any 2022 or 2013-like surprises.

Assuming the El Nino in place now weakens or dissipates next year, we will be faced with either a neutral or a La Nina year. Historically, these years have tended to be more active than El Nino years (especially first-year La Ninas). Models also seem to indicate that the warmth anomalies in the basin that we are seeing now and have seen throughout most of the year may not really taper off by next year, so I do expect the basin to be very warm again by the start of next hurricane season. And with how well the Atlantic has been performing despite a moderate El Nino....you can't help but wonder what activity would look like if the El Nino were to vanish or diminish in strength.

2005 could be a reasonable analog for 2024 based on how 2023 is going. I would not be surprised one bit if 2024 exceeds 200 ACE and exhausts the main naming list.
1 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:43 pm

If history is any indication, post El Nino seasons tend to be active with a few exceptions.

1995, 1998, 2005, 2010, and 2020 were post El Nino seasons.
0 likes   

Ianswfl
Category 1
Category 1

#14 Postby Ianswfl » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:39 pm

Ptarmigan wrote:If history is any indication, post El Nino seasons tend to be active with a few exceptions.

1995, 1998, 2005, 2010, and 2020 were post El Nino seasons.

The long range climate models suggest well above normal water temps for late spring and early summer. I would also expect more Caribbean and deep tropics activity next year as well versus open Atl like this year. So, no El Nino and super warm water temps.
2 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby FireRat » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:34 am

I would imagine 2024 could be quite active after this season's over-performance. Depending on how long the Nino lasts, we might want to mentally prepare for 2025 too! The next 2 years could be quite interesting IMO!
1 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

Ianswfl
Category 1
Category 1

#16 Postby Ianswfl » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:11 am

FireRat wrote:I would imagine 2024 could be quite active after this season's over-performance. Depending on how long the Nino lasts, we might want to mentally prepare for 2025 too! The next 2 years could be quite interesting IMO!

If it's active I expect a 2005 type season. Not just storms but intensity and more western atl and carribean focused. If the water temps are like this I expect dorian and Katrina type storms.

I'm still shocked how bare the Caribbean has been of convection this season.
1 likes   

WalterWhite
Category 1
Category 1

#17 Postby WalterWhite » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:30 pm

A hyperactive season should honestly be expected for 2024 for multiple reasons:

1) El Ninos typically generate sinking air over the Atlantic, leading to less cloudiness over the Atlantic, which would help warm the Atlantic more quickly than usual. The Atlantic basin will probably be warmer next year than this year.

2) La Ninas typically follow moderate/strong El Ninos. Next year will almost certainly be a La Nina year.

2023 already had a record-warm Atlantic. Based on the trends above, I fully expect 2024 to have a record-warm Atlantic and a La Nina; as such, shear in the Atlantic should be exceptionally low next year. Additionally, I do not expect the West African Monsoon to abate, meaning convection is not likely to be an issue. These two factors alone should make next year a hyperactive season at the very minimum.

It would take an event as anomalous as the thermohaline circulation shutdown of 2013 or the Mt. Etna eruption of 2022 for next season not be hyperactive.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:27 pm

To me it's just way too far out to really have any idea what's going to happen next year. I mean we still don't even know how active next month will be let alone a year out :lol:

I don't think it's wise to use 2005 as an analog by itself because that type of season is the (extremely rare) exception, not the norm.
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

WeatherBoy2000
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#19 Postby WeatherBoy2000 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:57 pm

Ianswfl wrote:
FireRat wrote:I would imagine 2024 could be quite active after this season's over-performance. Depending on how long the Nino lasts, we might want to mentally prepare for 2025 too! The next 2 years could be quite interesting IMO!

If it's active I expect a 2005 type season. Not just storms but intensity and more western atl and carribean focused. If the water temps are like this I expect dorian and Katrina type storms.

Despite how active this season has been we're still in an el nino and one of its effects is a drier than normal Caribbean. A dry Caribbean with an active mdr and open Atlantic was anticipated by climate models months in advance, they've verified well.
0 likes   

mantis83
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#20 Postby mantis83 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:58 pm

Ianswfl wrote:

if next season is active lets hope they all stay out in the open atlantic, with little harm to life and property.......
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”