2024 Indicators: SST's, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability (Day 16+ Climate Models)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
zzzh
Category 2
Category 2

Re: 2024 Indicators: SST's, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability (Day 16+ Climate Models)

#701 Postby zzzh » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:37 pm

2024 feels the pressure :lol: . Anyway, current MDR SST is at July 23 level.
9 likes   

Long John
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: 2024 Indicators: SST's, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability (Day 16+ Climate Models)

#702 Postby Long John » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:03 pm

can you send me the link to this graph please
0 likes   

zzzh
Category 2
Category 2

#703 Postby zzzh » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:29 pm

Long John wrote:can you send me the link to this graph please

I plotted it myself, there is no link.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#704 Postby cycloneye » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:33 pm

This was said in the X chat and for our friends and myself in the Caribbean Islands is not good news at all. He was talking about the warm North Atlantic waters.

The window for average activity is open well into the hurricane season but well above average SST is basically locked in at this point
7 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#705 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:10 pm

zzzh wrote:https://i.imgur.com/DkJV74H.png
2024 feels the pressure :lol: . Anyway, current MDR SST is at July 23 level.

Man last year's rate of warming was crazy. It was quite warm, then all of a sudden in June it just skyrockets.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#706 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:32 am

4 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

cainjamin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#707 Postby cainjamin » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:12 pm

Wow looks like very low trades for the next several weeks in the MDR. Now that the SAL outbreak as passed the anomolies should start to get even higher which is hard to believe.
4 likes   
Noel '07, Kyle '08, Earl '10, Arthur '14, Dorian '19, Teddy '20, Lee '23

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#708 Postby Jr0d » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:36 am

The Bermuda high looks like it may be setting up in an ominous spot for the SE US and GoM.

All the indicators are a bit troublesome.
3 likes   

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#709 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:05 am

0 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#710 Postby Hurricane2022 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:35 am

1 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

cainjamin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#711 Postby cainjamin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:10 pm

Easy to see the SAL surge just east of the Antilles causing a reduction in SSTAs, and then warming back up rapidly after it passed around Cabo Verde. I bet we'll start to see between 40-60W warm up quickly as well as the next few days pass.
6 likes   
Noel '07, Kyle '08, Earl '10, Arthur '14, Dorian '19, Teddy '20, Lee '23

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#712 Postby CyclonicFury » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:15 pm

Even with how favorable the Atlantic base state appears, it's important to note that Atlantic hurricane seasons coming off a strong or very strong El Nino often start fairly slow and tend to be more backloaded. 2010, with comparable MDR warmth to this year, did not have its first NATL tropical cyclone until June 25 (which did become a rare late June hurricane); however, July and early August were fairly quiet in 2010 with activity not picking up until the last third of August. 1998 did not have its first tropical cyclone until July 27th (Tropical Storm Alex). 2016 did have three tropical storms between late May and late June (including the controversial Colin), but July was completely dead with no tropical cyclogenesis at all. Seasons coming off a significant El Nino in the -AMO era had even slower starts, though I don't think they are comparable to 2024 with its remarkable MDR warmth.

North Atlantic tropical cyclogenesis during the month of May tends to be non-tropical in origin for the most part. Even with how favorable the base state is, I'd be surprised if we saw a TC in the North Atlantic of tropical origin before the very end of May/start of June.
3 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#713 Postby cycloneye » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:00 pm

Wow, 2024. Impressive but at the same time worrisom.

https://twitter.com/AndyHazelton/status/1782845560644354137

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#714 Postby cycloneye » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:01 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:Even with how favorable the Atlantic base state appears, it's important to note that Atlantic hurricane seasons coming off a strong or very strong El Nino often start fairly slow and tend to be more backloaded. 2010, with comparable MDR warmth to this year, did not have its first NATL tropical cyclone until June 25 (which did become a rare late June hurricane); however, July and early August were fairly quiet in 2010 with activity not picking up until the last third of August. 1998 did not have its first tropical cyclone until July 27th (Tropical Storm Alex). 2016 did have three tropical storms between late May and late June (including the controversial Colin), but July was completely dead with no tropical cyclogenesis at all. Seasons coming off a significant El Nino in the -AMO era had even slower starts, though I don't think they are comparable to 2024 with its remarkable MDR warmth.

North Atlantic tropical cyclogenesis during the month of May tends to be non-tropical in origin for the most part. Even with how favorable the base state is, I'd be surprised if we saw a TC in the North Atlantic of tropical origin before the very end of May/start of June.

In other words, we may see some season canceled posts. :D
5 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#715 Postby Teban54 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:09 pm

cycloneye wrote:Wow, 2024. Impressive but at the same time worrisom.

https://twitter.com/AndyHazelton/status/1782845560644354137

To be very honest, seeing these makes me wonder why it was universally agreed upon that 2020 would be hyperactive in the first place. (Not "season canceling" 2020, but in hindsight, indicators for 2020 at this time seem much less favorable than 2024.)
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#716 Postby cycloneye » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:34 pm

0 likes   

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#717 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:39 pm

cycloneye wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:Even with how favorable the Atlantic base state appears, it's important to note that Atlantic hurricane seasons coming off a strong or very strong El Nino often start fairly slow and tend to be more backloaded. 2010, with comparable MDR warmth to this year, did not have its first NATL tropical cyclone until June 25 (which did become a rare late June hurricane); however, July and early August were fairly quiet in 2010 with activity not picking up until the last third of August. 1998 did not have its first tropical cyclone until July 27th (Tropical Storm Alex). 2016 did have three tropical storms between late May and late June (including the controversial Colin), but July was completely dead with no tropical cyclogenesis at all. Seasons coming off a significant El Nino in the -AMO era had even slower starts, though I don't think they are comparable to 2024 with its remarkable MDR warmth.

They'll come when there's a 1 to 2-week long lull in activity sometime in late July/early August, as if even the most hyperactive seasons haven't had their quieter/weaker periods.

By the way that's a great point regarding seasons following significant Niño events often having somewhat delayed starts. I would imagine some of that has to do with a lag in atmospheric response to the changing ENSO state.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#718 Postby cycloneye » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:41 pm

DorkyMcDorkface wrote:
cycloneye wrote:

They'll come when there's a 1 to 2-week long lull in activity sometime in late July/early August, as if even the most hyperactive seasons haven't had their quieter/weaker periods.

By the way that's a great point regarding seasons following significant Niño events often having somewhat delayed starts. I would imagine some of that has to do with a lag in atmospheric response to the changing ENSO state.

It could be a backloaded season.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#719 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:41 pm

cycloneye wrote:
DorkyMcDorkface wrote:
cycloneye wrote:

That would most likely keep most of the Gulf states safe if that happens.
1 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#720 Postby Hurricaneman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:54 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
cycloneye wrote:
DorkyMcDorkface wrote:They'll come when there's a 1 to 2-week long lull in activity sometime in late July/early August, as if even the most hyperactive seasons haven't had their quieter/weaker periods.

That would most likely keep most of the Gulf states safe if that happens.

Not necessarily as a good chunk of intense systems have hit the gulf states in late September into October
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”