Expert Forecasts for the 2024 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Expert Forecasts for the 2024 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#1 Postby SFLcane » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:27 am

Joe Bastardi --- https://www.weatherbell.com/hurricane-s ... first-look --- 25-30 named storms

AccuWeather --- https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurrican ... 24/1623587 -

AccuWeather --- https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurrican ... %20impacts. --- Between 20-25 named storms - March 27

TSR --- https://tropicalstormrisk.com/docs/TSRA ... er2024.pdf --- 20/9/4

https://www.tropicalstormrisk.com/docs/ ... il2024.pdf --- 23/11/5 ACE: 217--- April 8

CSU --- https://tropical.colostate.edu/Forecast/2024-04.pdf --- 23/11/5 - April 4

June 2-

July 7-

August 4-

Crownweather Services --- https://crownweather.com/index.php/disc ... -forecast/ 25/12/6 - March 13

WeatherTiger --- https://weathertiger.substack.com/p/atl ... first-look --- Between 20-24 Named Storms ACE: 195 - March 22

University of Arizona --- https://has.arizona.edu/news/2024-hurri ... kyle-davis --- April 8 - 21/11/5 ACE: 156

N.C State --- https://news.ncsu.edu/2024/04/nc-state- ... ne-season/ --- April 16 - Between 15-20 named storms

Weather Channel --- https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/ne ... hOS_QV6WL4 --- 24/11/6 - April 18

Better enjoy the off season while you can. :eek:

https://twitter.com/bigjoebastardi/status/1733128474309624228

3 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Expert forecasts for the 2024 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: Bastardi=25-30 NS; ACE = 200-240

#2 Postby cycloneye » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:49 am

Is there a link to see the reasonings that made him go so high? Guess have to pay. :D I think is the first time he does a forecast in early December? Is very early to throw a forecast and also think early April is much better to begin the forecasts and outlooks. CSU will issue theirs on April 3rd.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Expert forecasts for the 2024 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: TSR= 20/9/4; ACE = 200

#3 Postby CyclonicFury » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:04 am

TSR's December 2024 forecast is out. 20-9-4, the highest December forecast by them ever issued

http://tropicalstormrisk.com/docs/TSRAT ... er2024.pdf
5 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

zzzh
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Expert forecasts for the 2024 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: TSR= 20/9/4; ACE = 200

#4 Postby zzzh » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:13 pm

The current statistical models used to predict August-September MDR sea surface temperature and JulySeptember Caribbean trade wind speed anomaly has been built using NCEP/NCAR re-analysis data, which we have found tends to have a low bias in sea surface temperature in the Atlantic. An alternative version of the models using ERA5 re-analysis data predicts much warmer sea surface temperatures in the Atlantic and much weaker Caribbean trade winds which results in a prediction for a hyper-active season with an ACE index around 200.

:eek:
6 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby SFLcane » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:36 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:TSR's December 2024 forecast is out. 20-9-4, the highest December forecast by them ever issued

http://tropicalstormrisk.com/docs/TSRAT ... er2024.pdf

That is wild!
1 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby Blown Away » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:23 pm

Many of us have followed Joe B for decades and most of us respect his perspective. I’m speechless that he goes 25-30 named storms and shows the activity in the W Atlantic. That is a big prediction from him. :eek:
2 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7 Postby cycloneye » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:56 am

TSR is usually a conservative private firm, but to have these numbers 20/9/4 to begin the 2024 forecasts and in December, is a first and a big thing.
3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Expert forecasts for the 2024 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#8 Postby al78 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:26 pm

cycloneye wrote:TSR is ussually a conservative private firm, but to have these numbers 20/9/4 to begin the 2024 forecasts and in December, is a first and a big thing.

I was responsible for generating the forecast and although it is one of the highest ever issued at this extended lead time*, it still represents a reined in version of what our statistical models for the predictors and overall activity were indicating. The only reason the forecast is as low as it is is because I didn't feel comfortable being so aggressive so far out when the forecast skill is very low, and there is plenty of opportunity to hike it up in early April if the signals for extremely favourable Aug-Sep Atlantic/Caribbean SST and trade wind predictors are still there. Even after all this there is a small possibility of weak La Nina conditions developing through spring/early summer which would result in a further increase in the forecast at shorter lead times.

*The extended range forecast issued in December 2006 was of similar magnitude to this one just released and look how the 2007 hurricane season turned out, so nothing is guarenteed no matter how bullish the forecasts are currently.
12 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Steve » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:06 pm

Blown Away wrote:Many of us have followed Joe B for decades and most of us respect his perspective. I’m speechless that he goes 25-30 named storms and shows the activity in the W Atlantic. That is a big prediction from him. :eek:

I just watched that part (the end) of the Saturday summary which I haven't watched in months. His red zone is basically the Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico and SW Atlantic to the Carolinas coming in at 2-3x normal ACE with the rest of the western basin at least normal or above normal. I kept waiting on the US northeast coast hype, but he didn't go there. His methodology (guessing it was a climate model) was warm over cold over warm creating the alley straight at the SE US and Islands. I'm thinking we don't need another 2005 or 2021 (or 2017 or 2020 for that matter either).
3 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

2024 Indicators (SST's, ENSO, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability, Day 16+ Climate Models)

#10 Postby SFLcane » Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:48 pm

0 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:00 pm

He's already made his first forecast for next year
20-25 storms
13-17 hurricanes
5-9 major hurricanes
ACE 200-240
I dont recall JB ever having a forecast that bullish in the 20 years I have followed him
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#12 Postby tolakram » Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:13 pm

ScottNAtlanta wrote:

20-25 storms
13-17 hurricanes
5-9 major hurricanes
ACE 200-240
I dont recall JB ever having a forecast that bullish in the 20 years I have followed him

It's free, available here with his impact graphic. https://www.weatherbell.com/hurricane-season-from-hell-first-look

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby Steve » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:08 am

ScottNAtlanta wrote:

20-25 storms
13-17 hurricanes
5-9 major hurricanes
ACE 200-240

In 2005 he mentioned early in the summer that his numbers were underdone and if he put out what he really thought was going to happen, his bosses would not like it because it was too extreme. But that was only a hint. We know what ended up happening.
3 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#14 Postby wxman57 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:48 pm

JB's forecast looks like it would be better suited to April 1. I see no reason to go anywhere near those numbers. I'm hoping for a nice, quiet, sub-10 season (not forecasting, just hoping).
6 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#15 Postby Hurricane2022 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:16 pm

wxman57 wrote:I'm hoping for a nice, quiet, sub-10 season (not forecasting, just hoping).

This usually doesn't work :(
But now I would like to know if you have any initial thoughts about what could happen in this future 2024 season. If you have any ideas on this, please share them with us :D
0 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby Blown Away » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:35 am

al78 wrote:
cycloneye wrote:TSR is ussually a conservative private firm, but to have these numbers 20/9/4 to begin the 2024 forecasts and in December, is a first and a big thing.

I was responsible for generating the forecast and although it is one of the highest ever issued at this extended lead time*, it still represents a reined in version of what our statistical models for the predictors and overall activity were indicating. The only reason the forecast is as low as it is is because I didn't feel comfortable being so aggressive so far out when the forecast skill is very low, and there is plenty of opportunity to hike it up in early April if the signals for extremely favourable Aug-Sep Atlantic/Caribbean SST and trade wind predictors are still there. Even after all this there is a small possibility of weak La Nina conditions developing through spring/early summer which would result in a further increase in the forecast at shorter lead times.

*The extended range forecast issued in December 2006 was of similar magnitude to this one just released and look how the 2007 hurricane season turned out, so nothing is guarenteed no matter how bullish the forecasts are currently.

What clues do you look at leading up to the hurricane season that would make you predict higher landfall impacts for Caribbean/Bahamas/CONUS?

It appears the Atlantic hurricane season is looking at cool/neutral or La Nina, is there a significant difference between the 2 with regards to landfall potential?

Thank you!
1 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby SFLcane » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:58 pm

wxman57 wrote:JB's forecast looks like it would be better suited to April 1. I see no reason to go anywhere near those numbers. I'm hoping for a nice, quiet, sub-10 season (not forecasting, just hoping).

April 1 or April fools lol..Sub-10 season considering what early indications are looking like looks extremely unlikely infact I would not be surprised to see most forecasting agencies go hyper active come April.
1 likes   

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#18 Postby al78 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:27 am

Blown Away wrote:
al78 wrote:

What clues do you look at leading up to the hurricane season that would make you predict higher landfall impacts for Caribbean/Bahamas/CONUS?

It appears the Atlantic hurricane season is looking at cool/neutral or La Nina, is there a significant difference between the 2 with regards to landfall potential?

Thank you!

We don't do landfall forecasts at this lead time and at most lead times we get landfalling numbers by thinning from total activity. Landfalling on the Lesser Antilles has in the past been forecast from forecast activity in the Main Development Region, which itself is related to sea surface temperatures and the forecast trade wind anomaly. Seasonal landfalling activity is going to have a significant randomness element to it because it just needs a suitable steering pattern set up at a time a major hurricane(s) is/are active to create a disaster for someone (e.g. Andrew 1992), but there may be some relationship between ENSO and U.S. landfalls, my perception is that El Nino years tend to be characterised with more recurving storms whereas during La Nina years there is a higher likelihood of storms tracking through the deep tropics into the Caribbean Sea, and conditions tend to be more favourable for hurricanes in the Caribbean/Gulf during La Nina.
3 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby SFLcane » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:40 am

al78 wrote:
Blown Away wrote:
al78 wrote:

Thank you!

We don't do landfall forecasts at this lead time and at most lead times we get landfalling numbers by thinning from total activity. Landfalling on the Lesser Antilles has in the past been forecast from forecast activity in the Main Development Region, which itself is related to sea surface temperatures and the forecast trade wind anomaly. Seasonal landfalling activity is going to have a significant randomness element to it because it just needs a suitable steering pattern set up at a time a major hurricane(s) is/are active to create a disaster for someone (e.g. Andrew 1992), but there may be some relationship between ENSO and U.S. landfalls, my perception is that El Nino years tend to be characterised with more recurving storms whereas during La Nina years there is a higher likelihood of storms tracking through the deep tropics into the Caribbean Sea, and conditions tend to be more favourable for hurricanes in the Caribbean/Gulf during La Nina.

I surely I think there is a relationship there for Conus and the Islands.

2 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby CyclonicFury » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:58 pm

wxman57 wrote:JB's forecast looks like it would be better suited to April 1. I see no reason to go anywhere near those numbers. I'm hoping for a nice, quiet, sub-10 season (not forecasting, just hoping).

Getting a sub-10 named storm season in the modern era would be extremely unlikely, unless we had an exceptionally quiet season or NHC stopped naming short-lived weak sheared storms based on ASCAT data. With El Niño likely to dissipate by early summer and the +AMO SST pattern unlikely to dissipate any time soon, that doesn't seem like a very realistic possibility for 2024. I do think JB's 25-30 NS forecast this early is too extreme though.
5 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”