Expert Forecasts for the 2024 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Expert forecasts for the 2024 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#21 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:03 pm

I think the first forecast from CSU will be with very high numbers and if it happens, it may be the first forecast with the highest numbers that PK has made in the April one. In the April 2020 forecast, he had 16/8/4.

Archive of forecasts.

https://tropical.colostate.edu/archive.html#forecasts
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby SFLcane » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:41 am

cycloneye wrote:I think the first forecast from CSU will be with very high numbers and if it happens, it may be the first forecast with the highests numbers that PK has made in the April one. In the April 2020 forecast, he had 16/8/4.

Archieves of forecasts.

Oh I think it could be record high for April 5 majors certainly a possibility.
1 likes   

Javlin
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Javlin » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:28 am

I was telling another member as he mentioned the high forecast something I notice as happening.The years that we get snow or sleet on/close the the coast line the GOM is busy the following season it just denotes a change in the pattern usually Neutral/LaNina.I see now why our insurance rates for many have gone up 20-30% in the area. :roll:
0 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby AnnularCane » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:03 am

Javlin wrote:I was telling another member as he mentioned the high forecast something I notice as happening.The years that we get snow or sleet on/close the the coast line the GOM is busy the following season it just denotes a change in the pattern usually Neutral/LaNina.I see now why our insurance rates for many have gone up 20-30% in the area. :roll:

I've heard that too, people usually bring up Christmas 2004 and Katrina as an example, but I'm skeptical, I haven't really seen a strong connection myself. The Gulf coast has had winter weather without hurricanes following as well.
Last edited by AnnularCane on Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Gums
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby Gums » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:31 am

Salute!

I agree with others that scary forecasts from JoeB and TSR this early were not anticipated. Hmmmm....

I also have to contribute my observations from 40 years on the coast recently and 20 or so years close but not worried if a storm was 100+ miles away, especially If to our east. The El Nino/La Nina correlation has been very clear to me, and seems the LA/MS and TX folks have more in La Nina or neutral years.

Instead of seeking more grant money to predict the planet will burn like your BBQ grill, I prefer more research as to the relationship of ENSO to the storms and seek a cause and effect solution/theory.

Gums sends...
Last edited by Gums on Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#26 Postby wxman57 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:51 am

cycloneye wrote:I think the first forecast from CSU will be with very high numbers and if it happens, it may be the first forecast with the highest numbers that PK has made in the April one. In the April 2020 forecast, he had 16/8/4.

Archive of forecasts.

I've been conversing with Phil over the past week about the upcoming season. We both agree that various factors indicate above-normal activity. Nothing close to what JB is forecasting, though. We're not sure what he's looking at. I'm thinking 17-19 named storms with 7-9 hurricanes and 3-5 majors seems reasonable. Phil will likely be close to those numbers, though he hasn't specifically mentioned any numbers and I couldn't disclose them if he did. I think the number of hurricanes and major hurricanes is more significant than the total number of named storms. With the naming of subtropical storms (in January last year) and the ever-increasing number of weak, short-lived storms, the total number is less important.
10 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby SFLcane » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:16 am

wxman57 wrote:
cycloneye wrote:I think the first forecast from CSU will be with very high numbers and if it happens, it may be the first forecast with the highest numbers that PK has made in the April one. In the April 2020 forecast, he had 16/8/4.

Archive of forecasts.

I've been conversing with Phil over the past week about the upcoming season. We both agree that various factors indicate above-normal activity. Nothing close to what JB is forecasting, though. We're not sure what he's looking at. I'm thinking 17-19 named storms with 7-9 hurricanes and 3-5 majors seems reasonable. Phil will likely be close to those numbers, though he hasn't specifically mentioned any numbers and I couldn't disclose them if he did. I think the number of hurricanes and major hurricanes is more significant than the total number of named storms. With the naming of subtropical storms (in January last year) and the ever-increasing number of weak, short-lived storms, the total number is less important.

I think thats an understatement at this point how about hyperactive everything i see is clearly pointing in that direction.
Last edited by SFLcane on Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

Gums
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby Gums » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:22 am

Salute!

Gotta go with wxman, and still looking at La Nina before we vote for this year. I also don't put much stock in total storms and believe NOAA/NHC would rather over predict and name than diminish possibilities.

Funny but my forecast for last year fits exactly with wxman's idea for this year. It was 18-8-4 !

I'm gonna stick with my ENSO correlation feeling again this year. Cause and effect? Maybe, but how? So watching the ENSO for now.

Gums sends...
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#29 Postby cycloneye » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:16 pm

Gums wrote:Salute!

Gotta go with wxman, and still looking at La Nina before we vote for this year. I also don't put much stock in total storms and believe NOAA/NHC would rather over predict and name than diminish possibilities.

Funny but my forecast for last year fits exactly with wxman's idea for this year. It was 18-8-4 !

I'm gonna stick with my ENSO correlation feeling again this year. Cause and effect? Maybe, but how? So watching the ENSO for now.

Gums sends...

Hi Gums. This year's Storm2k Numbers Poll will begin on March 10th, coinciding with the Daylight Saving Time date. From this year forward, the poll will open on the second Sunday's of March.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Javlin
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby Javlin » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:58 am

AnnularCane wrote: The Gulf coast has had winter weather without hurricanes following as well.

I agree totally Feb1995 we had a light snow in the afternoon son's first time 3 yrs old=Opal,1989 was a hard evening snow =0, as you said Katrina and there was another snow event seemed like Elana? followed have a pic of my hotrod covered in snow.It's not accurate it just kinda foretells what's happening to West/Pacific to a degree.Trying to find snow records for the Deep South is more by new article than records. :wink:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/01/10 ... 442558800/
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#31 Postby cycloneye » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:57 pm

Unless another agency or private firm comes before accuweather, the March 27 date is the next to watch in terms of forecasts.

AccuWeather will release its full 2024 Atlantic hurricane season forecast on Wednesday, March 27.
0 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#32 Postby AnnularCane » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:31 pm

cycloneye wrote:Unless another agency or private firm comes before accuweather, the March 27 date is the next to watch in terms of forecasts.

AccuWeather will release its full 2024 Atlantic hurricane season forecast on Wednesday, March 27.

Happy birthday to me! :lol:
5 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby Ptarmigan » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:24 pm

Joe Bastardi's forecast is quite bullish. That puts it on par with 2005 and 2010 and presumably 1933.
5 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby chaser1 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:25 am

AnnularCane wrote:
cycloneye wrote:Unless another agency or private firm comes before accuweather, the March 27 date is the next to watch in terms of forecasts.

Welcome to the Aries Hurricane Enthusiast Team :wink:
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

KirbyDude25
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#35 Postby KirbyDude25 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:11 am

chaser1 wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:

Dang, that exists? Well, my birthday's April 1, so count me in! Guess AccuWeather's forecast is more of an early present for me, though the real present will be the several forecasts that come in the first half of the month, including some pretty notable ones. Wonder how high CSU and April TSR will go this year...
2 likes   
New Jersey, Rutgers '27
Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Fay 2020 | Isaias 2020 | Ida 2021

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#36 Postby DioBrando » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:37 am

Ptarmigan wrote:Joe Bastardi's forecast is quite bullish. That puts it on par with 2005 and 2010 and presumably 1933.

sauce please?
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#37 Postby AnnularCane » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:11 am

KirbyDude25 wrote:
chaser1 wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:

Dang, that exists? Well, my birthday's April 1, so count me in! Guess AccuWeather's forecast is more of an early present for me, though the real present will be the several forecasts that come in the first half of the month, including some pretty notable ones. Wonder how high CSU and April TSR will go this year...

Yep, the REAL forecasts. lol
1 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#38 Postby OuterBanker » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:35 am

Accuwearthe posted pre 2024 hurricane season video yesterday.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurrican ... 24/1623587
1 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#39 Postby Steve » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:48 pm

OuterBanker wrote:Accuwearthe posted pre 2024 hurricane season video yesterday.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurrican ... 24/1623587

Good to see Bernie Rayno still going. The main "news" takeaway was at the end where they are cautioning for rapid development storms and more majors as well as an enhanced landfall potential for Texas and Louisiana. Storms intensifying coming in (e.g. Michael) are some of the most dangerous. Outside of Ida in 2021, the biggest recent year for Louisiana was 2020 where Zeta, Delta and Laura hit the coastline. TS Marco came close but was dissipating as it moved in. Sally also hit Pensacola that year and screwed things up there.
2 likes   

Gums
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#40 Postby Gums » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:26 pm

Salute!

Even the local WX dudes, who know a lot more about storms than 95% of rest of country, are jumping on the bandwagon......

I am not all in on armegeddon yet. Am trying to find similar conditions ( I am a climatologist more than a super analytical type looking at shorter term conditions). Starting with Hugo, then I go to Andrew and Erin/Opal and such and keep going...
I do agree that we Gulf folks have more problems with Nina, but I also have a feeling the Atlantic seaboard will see some strong storms.

Gums opines...
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”