How does a region recover from a major hurricane hit?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

How does a region recover from a major hurricane hit?

#1 Postby al78 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:44 pm

I noticed there was a Hurricane Preparedness and Response thread but thought it best to ask this question in a new thread. As a resident of the UK we don't get hurricanes but I have frequently wondered what it is like to go through one on the ground, and how does a community recover from a major hit? I'm thinking of something like Andrew (1992), Charley (2004), Katrina (2005), Michael (2018) or Ian (2022). The aftermath of hurricanes of this intensity in places looks like an atomic bomb was detonated, so I would be interested to know how long it takes to get aid into the affected area, how long it takes to rebuild, how do people cope in the days/weeks/months following with no shelter or fundamental utilities like running water and power, how do the medical services manage with the casualties if the local facilities have been destroyed, and are there typically any long term consequences/effects on the hardest hit communities?
5 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

Re: How does a region recover from a major hurricane hit?

#2 Postby USTropics » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:37 pm

al78 wrote:I noticed there was a Hurricane Preparedness and Response thread but thought it best to ask this question in a new thread. As a resident of the UK we don't get hurricanes but I have frequently wondered what it is like to go through one on the ground, and how does a community recover from a major hit? I'm thinking of something like Andrew (1992), Charley (2004), Katrina (2005), Michael (2018) or Ian (2022). The aftermath of hurricanes of this intensity in places looks like an atomic bomb was detonated, so I would be interested to know how long it takes to get aid into the affected area, how long it takes to rebuild, how do people cope in the days/weeks/months following with no shelter or fundamental utilities like running water and power, how do the medical services manage with the casualties if the local facilities have been destroyed, and are there typically any long term consequences/effects on the hardest hit communities?

I can only speak from personal experience, but this is generally what I've observed. As far as the immediate aftermath, it's really the community that steps up. The biggest issue is clearing roadways to get emergency management and supplies to flow in. Typically this is neighbors, emergency personal/law enforcement, and even storm chasers will start by removing fallen trees and clearing roadways. Flooding (Katrina/Harvey) is another animal, but typically rescues are done by air or again local residents by boat. Typically emergency management is in the area within days after the threat has diminished, and we're lucky enough in the United States where most of our medical facilities are built to withstand significant hurricane strikes (with industrial generators). With that said, mobile field emergency hospitals are also deployed when transportation can be difficult (like washed roadways, flooding, etc.).

The coping part can be brutal; if anyone has ever lived through a major hurricane strike without power for literally weeks - months, they can attest this is the worst part. Typically water is restored quicker (within a week or 2), and temporary locations are setup for residents to get to for necessary supplies. Federal and state governments along with NGOs rush in supplies – food, water, tarps, generators – but depending on the level of destruction, it may take days for everything to reach everyone.

Long term effects are the most devastating for communities that take a direct hit. Close to where I am, Mexico Beach is still recovering from Hurricane Michael almost 6 years later, and you can still see completely vacant lots where businesses/houses once stood, still there are roofs with blue tarps. The rebuilding process can literally take decades and sometimes communities never fully recover to what they were before.
7 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby chaser1 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:51 pm

Whew...... it's a great question for different reasons. Firstly, there are different perspectives and so the experience or narrative is going to be different. I've chased hurricanes such as Hurricane Charley. Chasing a hurricane if VERY different than being in your hometown when a major hurricane hits, such as during Hurricane Andrew. And then there's likely a unique perspective from an emergency management, police, government, or medical first responder (which I'm sure other members could offer insight). I'll say this much, I would define my experiences chasing hurricanes as primarily being fascinating, exhilarating, fun and amazing. I suppose that kind of mirrors your interest and pursuit of becoming a Meteorologist - the fascination of the science. If I am not mistaken though, I think that your question comes more from the perspective of effects, impact, and recovery at the community level. So, I'll share some of my own perspective - as a resident simply dealing with the "shock and awe" aspect of the experience.

Just to start though I think one need consider the hurricane landfall impact from two perspectives. "Direct impact (ground zero), and the "Fringe Impact".

The former basically experiencing a direct hit; those shell-shocked with little means to better their immediate circumstances. Meanwhile, the latter makes up the large peripheral population who were also affected by a range of wind, flood, or storm surge impact but rather than being knocked out (such as in boxing), were more or less knocked down but still able to get back on their own feet once again.

For those who experienced fringe effects, initially and immediately following landfall it's as if there's nothingness - just quiet. It's still windy outside but it's a nuisance annoying wind, and no longer the destructive winds that tore tree limbs off trees and caused most houses to have roof damage. Most within that fringe area are without electricity and avoiding opening our refrigerators so to hopefully keep frozen goods and items that might spoil good for at least 24 hours. Few if any people are driving anywhere. A collective awakening starts to occur where people begin to leave the protective shelter or broken and battered home and now take in the altered landscape of their property and less familiar neighborhoods. This latter group make up a broad range of those badly affected by the hurricane, to others only marginally affected with not so much structural damage, to others simply inconvenienced by the closing of work, school, businesses and transportation as a whole. After the first Federal, State and local governments typically staged nearby begin to remove debris and open roads and access to worst impacted areas during the first few days that follow is when many less impacted by the storm typically begin to provide a tremendous response along with the efforts of friends, family, first responders, utility workers, not to mention the unsolicited efforts by strangers in kayaks, large pick-up trucks, people with drones purely acting out of some self-driven duty to help and come to the aid of others that were directly hit. Interestingly, in spite of all of the destruction the one take-away always seems to be the unusual cooperation and humanity that is displayed toward others worse off. Gone is the typical noise and attitudes regarding Race, Politics, Religion or our economy. With the exception of a very small few gouging prices for the reselling of ice or water, the character and acts displayed by so many toward those hurt and suffering are nothing less than selflessness, empathy, heroism and brotherhood.

Now, from the very different perspective by those directly impacted who's lives severely impacted by the hurricane's direct impact: It all begins with shock, then awe, and then despair.

That sense of shock and awe really defines those first moments following the direct impact of a major hurricane hitting. Obviously, those directly impacted and affected are potentially dealing with death or injuries, and certainly with different levels of loss of property dependent on their proximity to the water or exposure to the wind. Immediately following the storm's passing and initial shock is the sudden awareness of isolation along with not having any reliable means of communication to the outside world. This is when the realization of the present and despair begins to set in. An awareness of suddenly having little to no resources to immediately cope or reasonably sustain oneself. Many not having the means to escape/drive out of the destruction zone given their own damaged, destroyed, or upside down vehicles, or simply a result of all roads being totally inaccessible due to fallen trees, power lines, debris, or even the inability to distinguish where roads are or ever were. The lack of means to let others know that you are hurt or perhaps okay, and the inability to know how other family or friends were directly impacted is palpable. Then comes the sobering assessment of taking stock of what personal items are gone and immediately relishing those personal items that survived the ordeal like pictures, clothing, furniture, but mostly those items that we have an emotional connection to. Survival mode slowly kicks in with either immediate response to the sounds of other's pain & suffering or the desperate search for a missing pet, to taking stock of one's own immediate needs such as water, medications, food, heat (or air) and pondering one's ability to immediately cope with their new reality. A reality without infrastructure. No accessible water, food, electric, A/C, medical, etc). Our brain's brief attempt to improve our situation with momentary thoughts about our walking the few blocks or mile just to escape to "that restaurant", or drug store or 7-Eleven just to get the temporary relief of a cold drink, a snack or food. Then comes the discovery and weird realization that our memories now deceive us leaving us to come to grips that we are now living in an altogether new reality. A reality that doesn't look familiar with where gas stations, restaurants, or places of convenience clearly fared no better than our own damaged or destroyed home or much of our entire neighborhood.

With exception to the potential deaths or loss of a loved one, the above broadly defines what most at "ground zero" go through and are forced to deal with..........and that is just in that first day following the storm. It's a lot for anyone in that situation to wrap their mind around and contend with. Some will cope with the destruction by seeking out the well-being of nearby friends or family, searching for lost possessions, or pooling food, water, blankets, or a working generator for light or any other helpful resources among neighbors. Meanwhile for others, the misery is worse yet; Their condition compounded with the added burden of loss of life or injury, along with the increasing discomfort while waiting for help for perhaps days or even a week. We all become so conditioned by our everyday conveniences that we take for granted the basic comfort that we become accustomed too. Suddenly thrust into an environment where one can't escape mosquitos, or have any light at night, or concern over drinking potentially contaminated water or spoiled food. The entire experience of being trapped without the ability to drive anywhere is unnerving and we have all become so dependent on cell phones yet no longer being able to text, email, or call anyone. Most have no choice but to move out of the destruction zone and move in with family or friends while the long slow process of debris clean up and rebuilding the infrastructure occurs. Electric and Internet can often be repaired for some in several weeks. For others, perhaps months. Even with passable roads, electric and water the process of rebuilding businesses, replacing restaurants and gas stations, etc can take months, or up to a year and longer. The impact of a major hurricane making landfall can wipe out personal finances, destroy a local economy, eliminate many many jobs, not to mention the emotional and psychological toll for many.
8 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Teban54 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:14 pm

Having never experienced actual hurricane-force winds myself (only a few TSes so far), I have far less to contribute to the conversation than others. But I did see a Hurricane Katrina exhibit at the Presbytere in New Orleans, and I highly recommend it, especially for those who have the same question.

The exhibit was honestly heart-breaking, but at the same time, highly informative. Video footages of the landfall that makes you feel you were there in real time. A section on immediate aftermaths titled "Is this America?". Banners with the drawings of kids stranded in hospitals, which were hung above the building in hope that rescuers will see them. Interviews with people who survived the storm only to be redirected to the Superdome, where the only possible way out of the city was, and to find out the living conditions there were inhumane to say the least. Timeline and map of levee breaches everywhere in the city. Scientific explanations of hurricane formations (which I'm sure everyone here knows), levee designs and failure modes, and more. Stories of many, many people who came back to what was once their home and found them in ruins, yet united to rebuild the houses and the community together block by block.
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby chaser1 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:01 am

One thing that can't be stressed enough is how distinct the impact, as well as the recovery truly is dependent on a number of factors. I think that the number one factor still has to be whether a hurricane landfall was that of a major hurricane or not. Second (in my own mind) has got to be relative to the population density for the area near and at the point of landfall. Beyond that, there are still SO many factors. Size of storm, speed of forward motion which the hurricane was moving, the extent of adequate warning and communication, right down to the state of the local economy for the area being most directly impacted.. I mean.... think about it. So many of us see things through the lens of our own eyes. Yet, not all of us - certainly not all people live in big cities where so many more resources exist. During Hurricane Andrew in the Miami/Homestead area and Hurricane Charlie in Port Charlotte Public Schools were already closed and designated as Emergency Shelters for those living in evacuation areas, areas threatened by storm surge inundation, to those living in compromised dwellings such as older trailer homes or structures not built to updated building codes. All regional hospitals had emergency back up systems as well as necessary coordination for initial intake of storm victims and predetermination of transfers of highest at risk patients. Meanwhile, one has to consider the complexity of evacuation and survivor response and search & rescue that existed following Hurricane Katrina's impact to S. Louisiana and the New Orleans region as a result of the exacerbated flooding. A major hurricane striking a far more rural area may mean a tremendously reduced economic impact to many people but the impact to those living directly in such a region is likely far more dire. Those living in a lower socio-economic region are far less apt to live in homes or structures that could sustain the impact of a major hurricane, or have the resources to afford expensive hurricane shutters, back up power or food & water resources. For that matter, there may be areas and small towns that simply lack the infrastructure for things like shelter or medical & emergency response. All the more reason why the extent of destruction and casualties which had impacted parts of the Caribbean and Central America in past years occurred.

"Infrastructure" is everything. It can mean the difference of life saving supplies beginning to reach those in hurricane ravaged regions as soon as 2-3 days verses a week or longer. I was amazed how quickly I was able to fly back to Miami following Hurricane Hugo striking Puerto Rico. The Luis Munoz Marin International Airport runways were quickly repaired and debris removed during the following 2 days after Hugo struck. For most though,, the destruction there was so widespread that many there were without electricity and potable water for a LONG time. Sadly those residents that live, work, and have roots to their community are the ones left with the burden to rebuild rather then the luxury of jumping on a plane and "getting out of Dodge" :( .

One thing is certain. Utility recovery and repairs for a small number of homes and businesses can start to occur in days and last several months time with adequate coordination, supportive civil & government organizations, money or insurance,, access to materials, and competent and plentiful labor. On the other hand when a large population base is handicapped or displaced due to the severity of destruction to their homes and places of work then the rebuilding process becomes monumental and easily take 5-10 years and result in many never going back.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby Dean_175 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:15 pm

Live in Lee county,Florida and the northern part of this county was directly impacted by the category 4 storm Ian(2022).

Within a day, large teams of electrical line workers were dispatched to the area with significant overtime/travel pay. I haven't seen so many power trucks in my life. It still took a while to get power back, particularly in the hard hit areas. The people at the beach barrier islands (Sanibel, Captiva, Pine Island) were hardest hit and bridge destroyed. They closed the airport completely to civilians and used it to rescue people by helicopter(picking them up at the islands and flying them across (sometimes in baskets)). They weren't able to take hardly any of their stuff. Unauthorized people and non-residents on the islands would be arrested on site. Curfews were present in multiple counties as power was restored, and then remained for months in smaller number in the hardest hit areas. Within a month, a temporary bridge was built and residents could get whatever was left. Power was still not restored to certain areas by that Christmas and many buildings are still unlivable. A swarm of both legit construction workers and scammers descend on the area for extended periods.

Houses are condemned within days in flooded areas, large numbers of people had their cars totaled (worked for a rental car company at the time).....a flood car is disgusting! And always a total with rare exception. For house that floods, people have to completely gut them. For apartments with multiple stories, the flooding of the first floor makes them unlivable due to mold and being unable to accept power. So even the people at the top often need to move out.

i went to Sanibel last in September 2023, a year later, and most buildings on the shore and many iconic places were still shuttered. Many boarded up against looters, some destroyed, and quite a few with active renovation. It is pretty much the only thing that happens in those areas during the first year. But basically: a bunch of construction and demolition happens as things are slowly rebuilt. Housing prices are temporarily affected elsewhere as people are displaced. Insurance companies raise their rates, new buildings are held to stricter codes, and then an (often richer) demographic moves in and the area loses part of its era forever. It takes years to repair after a massive storm surge event.

Charley(2004) hit close to the same area at the same intensity but it had a smaller eye, which not only mitigated storm surge but prevented the winds from extending as far from the center. It caused a lot of damage, but was mostly a wind event.

The damage from Ian increased exponentially within a few miles of the coast.
3 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”