Early predictions for the hurricane season?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

How many systems you see forming this season?

18 and higher
5%
15-17
30%
12-14
35%
9-11
20%
6-8
10%

Total votes: 20

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Early predictions for the hurricane season?

#1 Postby cycloneye » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:47 pm

My early numbers are 13/8/3 but of course those could change depending on the many factors that makes a season active or not.

I see an active season but it is too early to say how active it will be again depending on how many factors are inhibitors for development and how many are in favor and in the comming months it will be more clear what kind of season it will be.
Last edited by cycloneye on Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Rob-TheStormChaser

#2 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:52 pm

I wouldnt be surprised to see us get into the latter part of the alphabet...like the R name...will be actie IMO. My numbers are even higher than yours Luis...we'll see coming into the 'season'.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby cycloneye » Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:18 pm

Ok Rob we agree that it will be active but how active is the diference and let's see how far in the alphabet we go. :D
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Rob-TheStormChaser

#4 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:44 pm

Yeah...a few years ago we got to T- Tanya....now thats active!
0 likes   

Anonymous

#5 Postby Anonymous » Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:15 pm

Not going to get any numbers from me or TWW until May 25! But right now I will say again it is looking like it will be a rather active season.
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Stormsfury » Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:33 pm

Back in December, I predicted 11 hurricanes, 6 hurricanes, and 2 major for the 2003 season ... I haven't strayed from that right now, and won't until we obviously get closer to the start of the 2003 season.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby mf_dolphin » Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:40 pm

Mine is just a guess at this point. I think we may just have a contest coming up in May for the real thing...stay tuned :-)
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

OK, I'll hazard a guess!

#8 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:13 pm

Everything is definitely pointing towards an active season. My preliminary numbers are 15/8/5. Obviously I reserve the right to change them as season gets closer.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Poll - Hurricane Season

#9 Postby Guest » Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:20 pm

I say its going to be an average season. But I have to right to change my mind closer to June 1st.

Patricia
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

Above Average

#10 Postby Derek Ortt » Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:59 pm

Based upon all of the factors and recent decadal trends, this season will most likely be in the "above average" range. Now, you will never get exact numbers from me, at least until the science becomes more reliable to make accurate predictions (plus, I've been advised not to)
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#11 Postby southerngale » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:14 pm

I say it'll be an active season but I may change my mind once the season ends. :wink:
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby wx247 » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:16 pm

I voted in the poll, but I will never tell ;) !

Garrett :multi:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Rob-TheStormChaser

#13 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:31 pm

With El-Nino getting whacked out of the picture by Spring, this should be an interesting season on the initial phases of June possibly.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#14 Postby cycloneye » Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:41 am

Rob El nino or la nina is not the only factor that guides the atlantic basin hurricane season but of course is the most important one but there are other factors that have to be analized to have a complete picture of which of them will be in favor of an active season and which are not.

The azores high,the TUTT,the sea level pressures,the QBO winds,the sst's,the ssta's,the african rainfall are the other factors that are also important to look at.

Now we have to wait a couple of months to see how all the factors come into play one way to another making the 2003 hurricane season more active or not but one thing is for sure and that is el nino wont be present during the hurricane season.

I will make my 2003 forecast at may 1.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”