Do you think that Isidore and Lili names should be retired?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Should the names Isidore and Lili be retired or not?

Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes: 17

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Do you think that Isidore and Lili names should be retired?

#1 Postby cycloneye » Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:52 pm

I think yes because Isidore although it was not so bad for the US it went to the Yucatan and it was terrible down there and Lili no but what is the opinions of all here?
Last edited by cycloneye on Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

#2 Postby Guest » Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:05 pm

I voted no.
0 likes   

Anonymous

#3 Postby Anonymous » Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:07 pm

Isidore: YES. It didn't do too much for the US, but it completely devestated the Yucatan Peninsula. Damage was actually quite compareable to that of category 5 Hurricane Gilbert back in 1988.

Lili: YES. Although it weakened prior LA landfall, it still caused $1 billion damage. That alone is not quite enough for retirement. However, keep in mind it left a trail of destruction across the Caribbean before it came into the GOM, so add all that together and you have a pretty bad storm. Anyways, Lili should have been retired in 1996 since it caused a lot of damage to Cuba that year.
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Stormsfury » Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:33 pm

Isidore: YES ... the unusual nature of the storm and that fact what it did in the Yucatan Peninsula should qualify for retirement.

Lili: YES. After careful consideration and thought, I had to say yes. Yes, Lili did $1 Billion in Damage in Louisiana. The impacts though in the Caribbean and Western Cuba shortly after in the wake of Isidore was a 1-2 punch for an area.

I almost didn't vote because of an original yes/no (Yes for Isidore/No for Lili).
0 likes   

Kevin_Wx

#5 Postby Kevin_Wx » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:15 pm

Isidore: No. The Yucatan Peninsula has seen storms that have done damage far worse. Just because it was forced southward doesn't make it any more catastrophic. It makes it weird, if anything.

Lili: I've been debating, but I'm going to say yes on this one. The trail of damage it caused (very widespread) would equal that of one very intense landfall in only one location.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#6 Postby Derek Ortt » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:55 pm

Isidore: this is so clearly a yes that I will not even comment further. Forgetting the major hurricane landfalling in an area not called Kennedy County, texas aspect

Lili: I think so, but don't be surprised if it is not
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

#7 Postby pojo » Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:19 pm

Isidore: Yes...Isi pummeled the Yucatan with powerful strength. Not only causing flooding to Cancun and Cozumel, Isi also destroyed and tumbled buildings all along the coast. The Yucatan was lucky that it wasn't the 1st quadrant that hit them...they had the left side of the storm. Albeit, still powerful, but thankfully, the left quadrant stayed out to see for a while before making landfall around Cozumel.

Lili: No...Storm was hyped due to the Cat 4 status, but prior to landfall, Lili weakened and just barely held onto Cat 2 strength.
0 likes   

#8 Postby Guest » Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:31 pm

Well after reading the posts and reminding me of what Isidore did in the Yucatan i would have to give that a thumbs up. Lilly still is a no go!
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#9 Postby Derek Ortt » Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:41 pm

Shannon,

The RFQ did hit the Yucatan, unfortunately. When Isidore turned to the south, the southwest quad, became the RFQ. Fortunately, the worst of the weather just passed to the east of the heavily populated Merida area
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

#10 Postby pojo » Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:46 pm

thanks for the information Derek
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby Stormsfury » Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:41 pm

Isidore: No. The Yucatan Peninsula has seen storms that have done damage far worse. Just because it was forced southward doesn't make it any more catastrophic. It makes it weird, if anything.

Isidore was particularly destructive, though it didn't cause a lot of death thankfully. I failed to mention Western Cuba's impact from Isidore which was relentlessly pounded by Isidore with torrential rains.

The depression became Tropical Storm Isidore around 0600 UTC 18 September, and, embedded within a weak steering current, the tropical cyclone moved very slowly toward the northwest, passing just west of Jamaica. Isidore then moved very slowly toward the west-northwest across the Cayman Islands and became a hurricane at 1800 UTC 19 September. Its winds reached 90 knots around 0600 UTC 20 September as it was nearing the southwest coast of the Isle of Youth, Cuba. Although the minimum pressure continued to drop, Isidore's winds decreased a little bit and the hurricane made landfall near Cabo Frances in western Cuba at 2100 UTC 20 September with maximum winds of 75 knots. For more than 12 hours, Isidore relentlessly pounded western Cuba. The hurricane then moved west and southwestward toward the Yucatan Peninsula. Isidore re-strengthened and reached its maximum intensity of 110 knots at 1800 UTC 21 September. However, its minimum central pressure of 934 mb occurred at 1200 UTC 22 September, just before landfall near Puerto Telchac on the north coast of Yucatan.

Isidore meandered for 24 to 36 hours over northern Yucatan and weakened to a minimal tropical storm. It then moved northward over the Gulf of Mexico where the circulation expanded but the cyclone never redeveloped an inner core of strong winds. Isidore made landfall with winds of 55 knots and a minimum pressure of 984 mb just west of Grand Isle, Louisiana at 0600 UTC 26 September. Once it moved inland, Isidore weakened to a tropical depression and moved north-northeastward across the southeastern United States, producing torrential rains. It became an extratropical storm over southwestern Pennsylvania at 1800 UTC 27 September, and was then absorbed into a frontal zone.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#12 Postby ColdFront77 » Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:58 am

Isidore and Lili caused considerable damage outside the United States... more so than any damage it caused along the Gulf coast.
0 likes   

Anonymous

#13 Postby Anonymous » Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:07 pm

ColdFront77 wrote:Isidore and Lili caused considerable damage outside the United States... more so than any damage it caused along the Gulf coast.

Actually, Lili caused the most damage IN the US. Of course it devestated parts of the Caribbean too, just not as severely.
0 likes   

rainstorm

no to both, though izzy was close

#14 Postby rainstorm » Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:58 am

lil is a definite no.
0 likes   

Steve H.
Category 5
Category 5

I Don't Know About Either

#15 Postby Steve H. » Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:34 am

Nothing that would put either in the hall of fame/shame. Remember Lili of years ago (I have to look it up) caused thousands of deaths in the western Caribbean (Nic/Hon I believe) and did not retire, so why should she now?
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#16 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:41 pm

I can't distinctly remember how Isidore and Lili each of them evolved in the locations they hit... although I am very interested in following the tropics and all meteorology there are things you can't remember to the fullest even with a very good memory.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#17 Postby Derek Ortt » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:17 pm

1996 Lili killed very few people, never even affected Nic & Hon, but did cause heavy damage to Havana and Cat Island
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#18 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:43 pm

Great point, Derek. :)
0 likes   

Steve H.
Category 5
Category 5

I Stand Corrected

#19 Postby Steve H. » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:41 am

You're right Derek, it wasn't Lili. I was thinking of Fifi in 1974. :oops:
0 likes