Dr Grays april forecast calls for an active season 12/8/3

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Dr Grays april forecast calls for an active season 12/8/3

#1 Postby cycloneye » Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:06 am

http://hurricane.atmos.colostate.edu/fo ... /april2003

I thought he was going to raise by 1 the numbers but I think he has done the right thing because no big changes haved been seen in the factors to merit a big jump in the numbers but he remains in the thinking that this season will be an active one.
Last edited by cycloneye on Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Steve H.
Category 5
Category 5

No Changes From Dr. Gray eh?

#2 Postby Steve H. » Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:14 am

Thanks for the update Luis. When he stays with the same number its a sign it will be an active season. He's gonna wait for other data to come in before June to see if he needs to raise his numbers. Not enough data to support raising them yet. When his numbers are unchanged he's playing it conservative, and with all things (influencing factors) being equal, we'll look to the Pacific to see if numbers go up. If he thought there would be more inhibiting factors he'd have lowered his numbers in this April outlook. Bottom line IMO, is that his numbers will be the same in June or go up, they will more than likely not go down. It would take something quite unexpected to drive them down. This is his forecast refinement time. May have some exciting tracking this year. Cheers!! 8)
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby cycloneye » Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:29 am

No steve I dont think that he will go down this season as he did last year because no (big) factors that may inhibit developments are there.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby chadtm80 » Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:37 pm

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#5 Postby cycloneye » Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:38 pm

OK after some problems in the site of Colorado University it is now working so now you can see what is the base for Dr Gray to see an active season.

I saw that he barely mentioned the QBO winds factor and that is interesting to note because that is one of the factors to look for.
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby chadtm80 » Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:41 pm

PROBABILITIES FOR AT LEAST ONE MAJOR (CATEGORY 3-4-5) HURRICANE LANDFALL ON EACH OF THE FOLLOWING COASTAL AREAS:

1) Entire U.S. coastline - 68% (average for last century is 52%)

2) U.S. East Coast Including the Florida Peninsula - 48% (average for last century is 31%)

3) Gulf Coast from the Florida Panhandle westward to Brownsville - 38% (average for last century is 30%)

4) Expected above-average major hurricane landfall risk in the Caribbean
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7 Postby cycloneye » Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:01 pm

#4 is what I am worried about here in Puerto Rico Chad.Let's see how the cape verde season pans out and affects the caribbean with systems comming from that part of the world.
0 likes   

Anonymous

#8 Postby Anonymous » Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:25 pm

Not surprised by his forecast. There hasn't been much change with the factors since December. Still looks like a relatively dangerous season ahead.
0 likes   

Kevin_Wx

#9 Postby Kevin_Wx » Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:36 pm

Yeah, real dangerous.

This ISN'T a copy of his December forecast. If anyone has time, I'd invite you to read the entire forecast, and read it very carefully. There is clearly some very bad signs in there. Focus on the discussion parts.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#10 Postby cycloneye » Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:43 pm

Yes agree SC and Kevin that this season will be more dangerous because of the factors that Dr Gray mentions in the report but you have to read the report and see what we are talking about.

What concerns me because to my location in the caribbean is the enfasis from him that above average major canes will affect the caribbean but let's wait and see how the cape verde season pans out in terms of systems threatening the caribbean.
0 likes   

Anonymous

#11 Postby Anonymous » Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:22 pm

I hate probabilites.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12 Postby cycloneye » Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:26 pm

Jason If I can ask why you hate probabilities?
0 likes   

Anonymous

#13 Postby Anonymous » Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:58 pm

Giving probabilities really isn't a forecast. By giving your probabilities, you're saying that there is a chance of something happening. In my opinion, some actual numbers should be forecasted instead. Thats what we will be doing this season.
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Stormsfury » Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:17 pm

I have to agree with Supercane ... I'm not surprised that the forecast numbers aren't changed due to the fact that since December, not much as changed to think otherwise ...

Jason, you bring up a good point about probabilities.
0 likes   

Kevin_Wx

#15 Postby Kevin_Wx » Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:22 pm

Yeah, everybody on our team seems to hate probabilities. Our forecast will show you more details! Until May 25th, you will have to wait.

How many years has it been since Gray has been tacking the East Coast with the typical 68% of a major hurricane making landfall? I think he's been using the same probability since 2001. Has the East Coast been hit yet?
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Stormsfury » Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:29 pm

Very true, Kevin ...

How about 2000 and 2001? ... how many hurricanes hit the U.S. in those years? ... None. These were very active years in regards to number of named storms in both years.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#17 Postby Derek Ortt » Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:37 pm

As goes the SAL, goes the CV season. SAL cannot be forecasted far in advance and is not even entirely understood
0 likes   

Kevin_Wx

#18 Postby Kevin_Wx » Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:35 pm

I don't think that the SAL would totally shut down this Cape Verde Season. If the outbreaks are numerous and large, we would see significantly reduced levels of CV activity.

But then again, I don't know how likely it is to have back-to-back CV seasons with the SAL being a huge inhibiting factor.

Not trying to hype anything, but for the sake of the East Coast, we'd better hope that there is a lot of SAL outbreaks this season. My reasoning? The Azores High is showing signs that it may be at normal strength by the peak of the hurricane season, unlike 2001-2002.
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby wx247 » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:51 am

Great insight everyone!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Anonymous

#20 Postby Anonymous » Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:59 pm

Originally posted by Derek Ortt:
As goes the SAL, goes the CV season. SAL cannot be forecasted far in advance and is not even entirely understood

The SAL is not the only factor that determines how active the CV season is. You are correct about its difficulty to forecast though.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”