A New Era??? This season will tell us a lot.

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
mempho
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

A New Era??? This season will tell us a lot.

#1 Postby mempho » Thu May 04, 2006 11:17 am

Is anyone here in agreement with me about the possibility that last year was the biggest indicator to date that we could be in a new era? When I look at the records, yes, I am shocked at the sheer number of storms, however, I am much more alarmed by the intensities of the storms that we had. In addition, the structure of these storms is quite concerning in that Katrina and Rita could be classified as annular hurricanes. Also, we had two storms clip close to Cat V status in July.

The science proves it, too. A lot of people on here state that once the water reaches 82F or so, each additional degree doesn't have that big of an effect on intensity. If that is the case, then why are hypercanes hypothesized to form at around 120F? These storms would have winds of 500mph or so. Would that hypothesis, if true, not indicate an [exponential] increase in maximum intensity rather than a linear increase, much less a plateau?

Consider some other disturbing but less thought about facts:

-Several of the hurricanes formed despite considerable shear
-Wilma restrengthened to a major hurricane despite having virtually no core intact after the Yucatan and despite being under heavy shear.
-The only thing weakening most of these hurricanes from the 2005 was land and dry air intrusion. Shear, which used to be a big hurricane killer, only served to keep the storms from becoming absolute monsters when the storms were over the extremely warm areas.
-Most of the storms from last year did not have the slow steady progression through the ranks of TS, H1, H2... that prior storms normally had. No, these storms literally blew up over the course of a few hours...many times skipping 1 or 2 categories between recon flights.

This is all alarming to me but I sincerely hope that this is not the beginning of something new. It appears that the water temps are again back on track, so we shall see if this appears. While everyone seems concerned about the number of storms, I think that intensity is that much more important. If we had a year like 25/7/0, I think you could call it a good year, however, if we have a year like 15/10/7, it is likely to be a very bad year (even though the total number is below must forecast guidance).

Intensity is all that matters While this is not entirely correct, it is, for all intents and purposes, what matters the most. Remember what most climatologists say..."Global (ocean) warming does not cause more storms, it causes the ones we have to be more intense."

Dennis (record intensity July storm)
Emily (breaks Dennis's record)
Katrina (large, monstrous Cat V at her peak)
Rita (see Katrina)
Wilma (lowest pressure ever recorded...peak winds will likely never be known)
Also, 2 additional major storms

Forget 1 zillion named storms...this could be the real problem. Also, why were there so many storms that broke climatological rules?

P.S. I could be and hope to be wrong. This is merely for discussion purposes.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby gatorcane » Thu May 04, 2006 11:20 am

We could be entering a new ERA BUT years like 1933 could mean it was just an anomaly.
0 likes   

MiamiensisWx

#3 Postby MiamiensisWx » Thu May 04, 2006 11:21 am

Let the show begin! I'll just sit back and watch the, well, active discussion begin!
Last edited by MiamiensisWx on Thu May 04, 2006 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#4 Postby Derek Ortt » Thu May 04, 2006 11:22 am

Wilma was not under strong shear. The shear only was reaching the outflow, which is VERY favorble for intensification
0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby skysummit » Thu May 04, 2006 11:26 am

Derek, at what level does shear have to be to considered favorable for outflow?
0 likes   

mempho
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby mempho » Thu May 04, 2006 11:30 am

Derek Ortt wrote:Wilma was not under strong shear. The shear only was reaching the outflow, which is VERY favorble for intensification

So as Wilma crossed the southern Gulf from the Yuk to Fl, the shear was only reaching her outflow....correct?
0 likes   

sponger
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby sponger » Thu May 04, 2006 11:30 am

Good point Derek!

Tenacity was the theme of 2005. TD 10 held on forever and evenutually became katrina. (Some may dispute, but that is my opinion.) I think warmer temps are the only plausible explantion for tenacity, allowing for suriving systems to explode when conditions improved. In some cases, (TD 10 again), several weeks later.
0 likes   

BayouVenteux
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby BayouVenteux » Thu May 04, 2006 11:58 am

While this "new era" may seem new to us, the current -- and so far, brief -- level of increased activity and power of Atlantic basin storms may only be new to the 21st-century. As all the technology for monitoring hurricanes and recording data has only existed for a brief time, we simply don't have definitive scientific information back beyond the last 25-45 years as to the number and severity of storms that occured. Even in relatively modern times, say the last 200-400 years, other than anecdotes from sailors and journal accounts of the day, there's just not enough information to absolutely conclude whether one particular era experienced storms of greater number and magnitude than another. Who's to say that 10,000-50,000 years ago there wasn't one period or more that experienced an equal or even greater degree of major hurricanes than we may be right now in this fleetingly brief period of Earth's natural history?

There was a documentary shown here on the state public broadcasting system a few years ago that featured some interesting research done by a paleogeologist at Louisiana State involving sediment core samples taken from along various sites on the Gulf Coast. In the geologic record, he found evidence of multiple major hurricane strikes -- BIG storms -- having occured in relatively brief periods of time. The gist of the story was that "hyperactive" hurricane periods have likely happened before throughout natural history and would likely happen again, that they've been a part of natural long-term cycles long before we were even a blip on the screen.

So "new" to you and me? Yep. To ol' Mama Gaia? Probably not. :wink:
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby gatorcane » Thu May 04, 2006 12:13 pm

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:58 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While this "new era" may seem new to us, the current -- and so far, brief -- level of increased activity and power of Atlantic basin storms may only be new to the 21st-century. As all the technology for monitoring hurricanes and recording data has only existed for a brief time, we simply don't have definitive scientific information back beyond the last 25-45 years as to the number and severity of storms that occured. Even in relatively modern times, say the last 200-400 years, other than anecdotes from sailors and journal accounts of the day, there's just not enough information to absolutely conclude whether one particular era experienced storms of greater number and magnitude than another. Who's to say that 10,000-50,000 years ago there wasn't one period or more that experienced an equal or even greater degree of major hurricanes than we may be right now in this fleetingly brief period of Earth's natural history?

There was a documentary shown here on the state public broadcasting system a few years ago that featured some interesting research done by a paleogeologist at Louisiana State involving sediment core samples taken from along various sites on the Gulf Coast. In the geologic record, he found evidence of multiple major hurricane strikes -- BIG storms -- having occured in relatively brief periods of time. The gist of the story was that "hyperactive" hurricane periods have likely happened before throughout natural history and would likely happen again, that they've been a part of natural long-term cycles long before we were even a blip on the screen.

So "new" to you and me? Yep. To ol' Mama Gaia? Probably not.

yes I agree, great post :D
0 likes   

sponger
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby sponger » Thu May 04, 2006 12:29 pm

Bayou, I saw his research and it was fascinating. It seemed from my memory that there are longer term cycles of 1000 year plus in addition to the well documented 25-40 year we know today.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

MiamiensisWx

#11 Postby MiamiensisWx » Thu May 04, 2006 12:33 pm

I tend to agree as well, sponger.
0 likes   

terstorm1012
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby terstorm1012 » Thu May 04, 2006 12:44 pm

great posts all around

I tend to agree with the idea that we'll see more intense storms as warm water appears to be pooling in the Atlantic and Gulf moreso than what appears to be normal, and not just more storms in frequency in general. I don't really want to touch the GW debate, but I do want to say just that.
0 likes   

mempho
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13 Postby mempho » Thu May 04, 2006 1:37 pm

One thing I do want to clarify is that I am not sure about the causes of any global warming that might be occurring. I do know that the water has been getting warmer in the tropical zones of the basin for whatever reason but, like I said, I don't know whether this is a 20-40 year cycle, a millennial cycle, or if this is a increase caused by "global warming" as it is known to environmentalists. If this is a trend, whether caused by natural cycles or by humans, then I would expect tropical cyclone intensities to rise exponential with each marginal increase in water temperature given the same set of parameters in the atmosphere. One thing that could counteract this is a change in the upper level winds creating either high shear areas (such as some spots in the S. Atlantic or creating drought in N. Africa. Of course, the opposite could happen as well creating more storms and more favorable environments. This, of course, would be most devastating.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby Steve » Thu May 04, 2006 1:42 pm

>>Bayou, I saw his research and it was fascinating. It seemed from my memory that there are longer term cycles of 1000 year plus in addition to the well documented 25-40 year we know today.

yeah, it's good stuff. There are currently hypotheses floating around that we may be into a 1,500 year cycle as well as a 25-40 year Alantic warming cycle. Whether the two overlap or not is anyone's guess as is what that 1,500 year cycle may actually show. I'm not that good.

Steve
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#15 Postby Derek Ortt » Thu May 04, 2006 2:28 pm

shear at any level over the core is bad, but if it is only affecting the outflow, it can enhance the outflow, setting up conditions where intensification, even over land, like Allison did in 2001 is possible due to the very rapid removal of air mass from the column of air
0 likes   

CHRISTY

#16 Postby CHRISTY » Thu May 04, 2006 2:48 pm

The 2005 hurricane season was truly an amazing year it broke records left an right and caused severe damage in the U.S. I honestly feel that because last year turned out the way it did people now have a strong respect and are more aware of what these monsters can do.As the 2006 season gets closer by the day i truly hope people take the time to prepare and have a hurricane plan in place come june 1. 2004 and 2005 have been very active season's with multiple landfalls in florida.I think we have entered a new era of more frequent and stronger hurricanes,at the same time i think its unlikley we will see another season with 28 storms.its very important to note that this year we might have less number of storms ,but truly that doesn't mean anything, i think more intence hurricanes meaning major hurricanes will be on the increase.hurricanes like KATRINA,WILMA, and RITA are prime examples of what might be instore for years to come.Where they strike no one knows but in my opinion everyone has to be ready for what very well could be another very active hurricane season with severe impacts on the U.S. :wink:

PS!IT ONLY TAKES ONE.

CHRISTY
0 likes   

mike815
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby mike815 » Thu May 04, 2006 3:02 pm

thats right we could have 30 storms again but only very few make land and there historic sorms or well below amount and have a historic storm
0 likes   

mempho
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#18 Postby mempho » Thu May 04, 2006 4:47 pm

Thinking about this a little bit more....if 120F water produces a 500mph hypercane and 82F water produces a 125mph hurricane, then we can look at the possible effects. If the relationship were exponential...we would be looking at something that might look like this (according to mean water temperature; also shown with environment supporting a "low" Cat V):

82F 120mph 160mph
87F 131mph 171mph (First 5 degree increase; =11mph per 5 degrees)
92F 153mph 193mph (Second 5 degree increase=22mph per 5 degrees)
97F 186mph 226mph (Third 5 degree increase=33mph per 5 degrees)
103F 230mph 270mph (Fourth 5 degree increase=44mph per 5 degrees)
108F 285mph 325mph (Fifth 5 degree increase=55mph per 5 degrees)
113F 351mph 391mph (Sixth 5 degree increase=66mph per 5 degrees)
117F 428mph 468mph (Seventh 5 degree increase=77mph per 5 degrees)

While the upper echelons of this exhibit are not really relevant, they do show a possible exponential increase towards the hypothesized "hypercane." The 87F and 92F are the only relevant levels for what we are seeing, but they are very scary. Basically, this could mean that a low-end Cat III in the past could be competing for Cat V status with just a 10 degree increase in the water temps. A marginal Cat V becomes Gilbert/Mitch/Camille.

One thing to note is that the stronger these storms get, the more powerful they seem to become....i.e., the rich get richer. You see very few "marginal Cat Vs....usually they blow up to extremes once they reach that level. Andrew is a big exception, but it hit land while still strengthening.

EDIT: If this holds true...we should expect increased intensities of 11-33mph over this period of warmer waters.
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Thu May 04, 2006 5:48 pm

113F 351mph 391mph (Sixth 5 degree increase=66mph per 5 degrees)
117F 428mph 468mph (Seventh 5 degree increase=77mph per 5 degrees)

I'm not 100% certain; but I don't believe the wind speeds in the Giant Red Spot of Jupiter reach these levels.

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby cheezyWXguy » Thu May 04, 2006 5:56 pm

whats CAT V?
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”