Hurricane Damage

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#21 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun May 21, 2006 9:10 pm

The Cat 1 video looks more like sustained 50 mph winds with gusts to ~70 mph.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#22 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun May 21, 2006 9:12 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:the wind gusts were MUCH higher in Wilma than Katrina. At RSMAS, on a causeway, we had sustained of about 81 mph (so likely lower over land where frictional effects were greater), but the gusts were over 110 (these likely occurred over land)
North of the Rickenbacker, sustained winds were higher as you were very close if not in the eye wall. So it depends upon which part of "Miami" one is located

Based on the video, I agree. I'd say the Cat 2 video had sustained winds of 80-90 mph but gusts up to 120 based on the clips I see.
0 likes   

Extremeweatherguy
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Extremeweatherguy » Mon May 22, 2006 6:43 am

CrazyC83 wrote:The Cat 1 video looks more like sustained 50 mph winds with gusts to ~70 mph.
Actually the winds are more like 65-73mph sustained with hurricane forced gusts. That video was shot in the Miami area during Katrina and that is what they experienced.
0 likes   

Droop12
Category 1
Category 1

#24 Postby Droop12 » Mon May 22, 2006 11:15 am

This is why we have this discussion all the time because everyone see's wind different and has there own opinion of how strong it was. Good example above my post. :lol:
0 likes   

Extremeweatherguy
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby Extremeweatherguy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:28 pm

I figured that since it is now hurricane season, and we have already had our first storm, it is a good time to bring this thread back so that everyone can know what to expect from the future storms!
0 likes   

decgirl66
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby decgirl66 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:18 pm

I am not picky....the winds in the Cat 2 and higher just scared the *&%@ out of me! After seeing the video of Cat 3, my heart was in my throat and I almost didn't watch the 4. I am so glad I slept through Charley!!!
0 likes   

Extremeweatherguy
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby Extremeweatherguy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:39 pm

I just added three new videos! One is a video of Cat. 1 winds in N.O. during Katrina, another is a Cat. 2 video from Hurricane Wilma which was taken within a building at the waterfront of Miami, and the last one is a second Cat. 4 video of Charley. Check them out everyone!

**the Cat. 2 video I found from Wilma is amazing!**
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby beachbum_al » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:03 pm

I found this page of a few of Camille and some others.

http://www.1ststeps.org/Science/hurricanes.htm
Scroll down the page and they are the last few pics.

http://www.worldbook.com/features/hurricanes/html/power_camille.html

http://sciencepolicy.colorado.edu/about_us/meet_us/roger_pielke/camille/gallery.html

http://www.maritimemuseum.org/camille/page2.htm

I think I just got goosebumps from looking at these pics.
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby Ixolib » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:06 pm

No matter the category, I'll STILL take wind over surge any day!!!!! Watching sea water pour into your house is something you'll NEVER forget, especially when your house is 20 feet above MSL.
0 likes   

Normandy
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby Normandy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:07 pm

How on earth can Andrew's winds flip a Uhaul truck and throw it on a roof??
Unreal.

BTW, I think I have an idea of where u can find Cat5 winds on footage. Do any of you remember any tornado shows on Discovery etc etc that showed that tornado crew getting caught under an underpass, and an f2 or f3 went over it? The winds were pretty strong, they were ripping the grass out.
0 likes   

Extremeweatherguy
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby Extremeweatherguy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:29 pm

Normandy wrote:How on earth can Andrew's winds flip a Uhaul truck and throw it on a roof??
Unreal.

BTW, I think I have an idea of where u can find Cat5 winds on footage. Do any of you remember any tornado shows on Discovery etc etc that showed that tornado crew getting caught under an underpass, and an f2 or f3 went over it? The winds were pretty strong, they were ripping the grass out.
oh yeah, very true. I have seen that. When I was making this, I completely forgot to look at tornado footage. I wonder where I could find that video online?
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#32 Postby JonathanBelles » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:15 pm

any estimates at how much damage alberto did?
0 likes   

Normandy
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby Normandy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:41 pm

Extremeweatherguy wrote:
Normandy wrote:How on earth can Andrew's winds flip a Uhaul truck and throw it on a roof??
Unreal.

oh yeah, very true. I have seen that. When I was making this, I completely forgot to look at tornado footage. I wonder where I could find that video online?

Ive tried searching google for it...you know typing in "tornado underpass" and what not...but no results.
0 likes   

bevgo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby bevgo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:44 pm

The Katrina video gave me chills and I got nauseated. I experienced her up close and personal here in Ocean Springs, not far from Biloxi. Our winds were not quite that bad but close. I NEVER want to do that again. The video brought back some very bad memories of the hotel next to us comming apart and large sheets of metal blowing past my sliding glass door. Shjopping carts from the dollar store less than 1/2 block away blowing by. Soooo many more memories that I would like to forget. I may have nightmares again tonight. Thanks for sharing that really great post. Hopefully it will serve as a warning to idiots like me that try to stay and "weather the storm." :eek: :eek: :eek:
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#35 Postby Dionne » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:06 pm

Opal storm wrote:http://www.professionalroofing.net/photos/1205_webex_23.jpg

I don't see cat 3 damage in this pic.Notice how there's a street sign by the road still standing,the powerlines are still up and the telephone poles are perfectly up-right.Yes those roofs are severly torn up but we had roofs look like that here in Pensacola with Ivan and most of the area had sustained cat 1 winds.Also, by the look of it those buildings were probably very exposed to the wind.This is just my opinion though.Other than that it's a great scale and I will look back at this later in the season if a storm heads my way.

Something isn't right about this picture. To see that many shingles missing without any other significant damage makes it suspect. As a builder, I would want to hands on inspect the shingles and nailing pattern. I'd almost bet the nailing pattern is to high on the shingle.
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:08 pm

How much damage did our storm do a week ago?
0 likes   

Extremeweatherguy
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby Extremeweatherguy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:47 am

Just added two new videos. One for TD conditions and another for weak TS conditions.
0 likes   

f5
Category 5
Category 5

#38 Postby f5 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:54 am

what kind of Damage could Katrina's 175 mph winds or Rita's 180 mph could of done?
0 likes   

Opal storm

#39 Postby Opal storm » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:08 pm

f5 wrote:what kind of Damage could Katrina's 175 mph winds or Rita's 180 mph could of done?
Would obliterate almost everything in sight.Trees,homes,buildings...all crushed.
0 likes   

george_r_1961
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#40 Postby george_r_1961 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:58 pm

Unreal.

Yea I remember that video..I seriously do not think that tornado was any more than possibly a strong F1. Had that have been a powerful tornado the ppl hiding under that bridge would have been blown to Kingdom Come.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”