Camille not a cat-5 at Mississippi landfall???

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
MiamiensisWx

#401 Postby MiamiensisWx » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:11 pm

I know that I am re-opening a thread fraught with complexity, but I would like to know the names of some meteorologists who believe that Katrina was a Category 4 at its LA and/or MS landfall.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#402 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:24 pm

MiamiensisWx wrote:I know that I am re-opening a thread fraught with complexity, but I would like to know the names of some meteorologists who believe that Katrina was a Category 4 at its LA and/or MS landfall.

This has nothing to do with Camille. As far as that information is concerned I don't know of anyone that would have a list like that. Perhaps googling it would be helpful.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

emeraldislenc
Category 2
Category 2

#403 Postby emeraldislenc » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:02 pm

Great read about Camille. I remember listening to the new Orleans radio station reading out the names of those who were lost after the storm. It was an strange feeling to hear the names read night after night.
0 likes   

JaxGator
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Camille not a cat-5 at Mississippi landfall???

#404 Postby JaxGator » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:15 pm

I remember reading that critical wind measuring instruments were destroyed before Camille made landfall so we really don't know how "strong" she was at landfall besides looking at recon data.
0 likes   
The posts or stuff said are NOT an official forecast. Please look to the NHC and NWS for official forecasts and products.

Floyd-1999, Frances-2004, Jeanne-2004, Fay-2008, Beryl-2012, Debby-2012, Colin-2016, Hermine-2016, Julia-2016, Matthew-2016, Irma-2017, Elsa-2021, Idalia-2023.

Go Gators! Go Jags!

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

#405 Postby ninel conde » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:57 pm

Does it really matter? The dead wont come back to life or the damage be any less if its a cat4 instead of a cat5.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

JaxGator
Category 2
Category 2

#406 Postby JaxGator » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:41 am

ninel conde wrote:Does it really matter? The dead wont come back to life or the damage be any less if its a cat4 instead of a cat5.

Of course it doesn't matter. I would NEVER disrespect the dead like that. If it was a Cat 4 or 5, the readings wouldn't matter. The damage has already been done. It reminds me of that another forum that talked about landfalling hurricanes that had more potentional. I was like really? It doesn't matter. The damage has been done. All I wanted to add was a interesting read I came across. By no means was I trying to prove the storms's strength.
0 likes   
The posts or stuff said are NOT an official forecast. Please look to the NHC and NWS for official forecasts and products.

Floyd-1999, Frances-2004, Jeanne-2004, Fay-2008, Beryl-2012, Debby-2012, Colin-2016, Hermine-2016, Julia-2016, Matthew-2016, Irma-2017, Elsa-2021, Idalia-2023.

Go Gators! Go Jags!

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

#407 Postby ninel conde » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:19 am

JaxGator wrote:
ninel conde wrote:Does it really matter? The dead wont come back to life or the damage be any less if its a cat4 instead of a cat5.

Of course it doesn't matter. I would NEVER disrespect the dead like that. If it was a Cat 4 or 5, the readings wouldn't matter. The damage has already been done. It reminds me of that another forum that talked about landfalling hurricanes that had more potentional. I was like really? It doesn't matter. The damage has been done. All I wanted to add was a interesting read I came across. By no means was I trying to prove the storms's strength.

No problem. Well done.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#408 Postby Alyono » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:53 am

It most certainly matters as we can better estimate what future storms will do
1 likes   

JaxGator
Category 2
Category 2

#409 Postby JaxGator » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:18 am

Alyono wrote:It most certainly matters as we can better estimate what future storms will do

You're right, I sounded arrogant. I'm all for continued research of hurricanes. It would help and save lives. Though I too had thoughts of hurricanes making landfall that had more potential but I was like, maybe but thankful it wouldn't be worse as it already was. I didn't think the survivors would want to think of the potential power of the hurricane after it passed IF it got stronger. However, when it comes to readings at landfall, then I take notice. If the survivors knew the storm got stronger, they would be thankful to be alive. Andrew is a good example. It hit upgraded to a 5 so yes, it does in fact matter. There's also the danger of strengthening at landfall too.
0 likes   

Go Gators! Go Jags!

MidnightRain
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#410 Postby MidnightRain » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:59 am

Seems like this Camille argument comes up almost every season. We'll never know given the amount of technology we lacked back then compared to now. But if Katrina taught us anything, it's that we should never use certain storms as a "bench mark" for others. The impact of a storm is always going to be unique, it depends on the size, the track, the speed etc. Katrina trumped Camille in widespread devastation, doesn't necessarily mean Camille was weaker.
3 likes   

JaxGator
Category 2
Category 2

#411 Postby JaxGator » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:09 am

MidnightRain wrote:Seems like this Camille argument comes up almost every season. We'll never know given the amount of technology we lacked back then compared to now. But if Katrina taught us anything, it's that we should never use certain storms as a "bench mark" for others. The impact of a storm is always going to be unique, it depends on the size, the track, the speed etc. Katrina trumped Camille in widespread devastation, doesn't necessarily mean Camille was weaker.

That's true too. The last few seasons have taught us that the large size of a hurricane (especially Cat 1-2) can cause huge storm surge. Ike and Sandy come to mind. And though Katrina weakened to a Cat 3 (still bad),the storm surge was horrible. I think that was the reason why the NHC dumped storm surge from the Saffir-Simpson Scale and now have their own storm surge estimate forecast. And not to mention the larger area affected by the storm.
1 likes   

Go Gators! Go Jags!

Agua
Category 5
Category 5

#412 Postby Agua » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:04 pm

Reanalysis says Cat 5.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”