"Dirty Side of the Storm"

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#21 Postby brunota2003 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:09 pm

bob rulz wrote:
brunota2003 wrote:
bob rulz wrote:
brunota2003 wrote:you guys have heard this term: its also known as the RFQ or Right Front Quadrant

I didn't know "right front quadrant" was the same TERM as "dirty side of the storm." There's a difference between what a term MEANS and what it actually SAYS. They may mean the same thing, but they're still different terms.
when did I say that they were the exact terms? I would like to know please...

Uh...it's quoted right there.

"you guys have heard this term: its also known as the RFQ or Right Front Quadrant"

But it's not like it matters that much. Just me being picky.
I was mentioning that most people here on the site have heard the term RFQ before, but then stated what it was just incase there was anyone new who didnt know what exactly RFQ ment ;)
0 likes   

all_we_know_is_FALLING
Category 1
Category 1

#22 Postby all_we_know_is_FALLING » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:24 pm

I've heard "Dirty Side of the Storm" for a while, actually.

I think the name is fitting. It's the side you don't want to be on.
0 likes   

m_ru
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#23 Postby m_ru » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:36 pm

Windtalker1 wrote:
Stormtrack wrote:I've heard the term for so many years I can't remember when I first heard it. I know it was being used in the 80's a lot.
Wilma's Dirty side was the backside, not the NE Quad. when she crossed FL

The NE Quad is known as the dirty side for the Northern Gulf Coast. In other areas the dirty side may be a completely different quadrant.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#24 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:40 pm

m_ru wrote:
Windtalker1 wrote:
Stormtrack wrote:I've heard the term for so many years I can't remember when I first heard it. I know it was being used in the 80's a lot.

The NE Quad is known as the dirty side for the Northern Gulf Coast. In other areas the dirty side may be a completely different quadrant.

Right front is only the NE side if the storm is moving northward. If it is moving west, it is the NW side, and if it is moving east, it is the SE side.
0 likes   

m_ru
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#25 Postby m_ru » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:47 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
m_ru wrote:
Windtalker1 wrote:

Right front is only the NE side if the storm is moving northward. If it is moving west, it is the NW side, and if it is moving east, it is the SE side.

Exactly what I was trying to say!
0 likes   

SkeetoBite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby SkeetoBite » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:01 am

According to the National Hurricane Center; "an average of 75% of the total area of these storms is located to the North and East of the center of the storm".

Looking at the image below, you notice that most of this storm is offset to the upper right (North East) from the center of the storm. Since this is where the bulk of the storm is, this is also where the bulk of the "action" is. If you imagine the storm represents the face of a clock, the "dirty side" of the storm is around 2 o'clock relative the the direction the storm is traveling.

We added the windfield to our maps last year so folks could better understand the dimensions and potential impact of the storms. This windfield data is provided by the NHC, we don't make it up ;-)

0 likes   

Recurve
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby Recurve » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:19 am

Love those windfield charts, skeeto.

Sailors call the south side of an east-to-west moving storm "the safe side," as I understand it both because the winds are less and because they don't drive you onto the coast. NHC posts charts of the "Mariner's rule" showing that if you are in a ship at sea and can't get completely out of the way, you want to at least be on the bottom/back side rather than the top/front.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”