Was Claudette a Cat 2 ???

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

I believe Claudette was a ...

cat 1
42%
cat 2
58%

Total votes: 26

isobar
Category 5
Category 5

Was Claudette a Cat 2 ???

#1 Postby isobar » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:32 pm

Based on the official and unofficial reports so far, whatcha think?
She pulled an Andrew and really wound up during landfall.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#2 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:43 pm

I say Yes. Just drove down Seawall Blvd....a small fraction of the length of the island. Saw the debris, downed signs, trees, waves still crashing to the seawall. And that was up here in Galveston where she didn't make landfall. Of course, I realize we were on the dirty side. But from what I've seen, heard, and read in news reports, she had to have been a 2. Cuz if she was only a 1, this duck isn't sticking around next time, especially if landfall is actually on Galveston. I can't even begin to imagine a 3, 4, or 5. *shivers* God bless those of you who have lived through worse.
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Stormsfury » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:47 pm

Given 24-48 hours more of open water, Claudette would have possibly been a Cat. 3 due to ... compact size, excellent outflow in all directions, and a rapidly shrinking eye prior to landfall ... (that ticking time bomb)...

The NHC notes: based on recon reports, satellite imagery, and doppler radar estimates ... Claudette was likely 75 kts at landfall (86 mph) ...
Also of note: Doppler radar did record velocities of 90 kts around the time of landfall based on a discussion I read (cannot remember where).

However, I can't ignore that report at Seadrift, TX of 97 mph sustained winds with gusts to 111 mph ... if that is indeed verified, that would have to make Claudette a Cat 2...IMO...

SF
0 likes   

JetMaxx

#4 Postby JetMaxx » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:58 pm

My personal opinion (based on what obs I've seen) is that Claudette was a cat-1...but borderline.

Just before landfall, recon measured 98 mph at flight level (10,000)...which equates to 88 mph sustained on the surface....close to my estimate of 90-95 mph sustained and gusts to 110-120 mph.

However, those sustained wind reports from Point Comfort (94 mph) and Seadrift (97 mph) weren't recorded in the north (most intense) eyewall. We haven't heard any wind reports from Palacios, Matagorda, or elsewhere near the coast.
We may have had 100 mph sustained winds in those areas (I heard about uncomfirmed115+ mph gusts at Matagorda from a friend in Beeville monitoring ham radio transmissions).

I know sustained winds were at least 90-95 mph...and may have been higher. We'll just have to wait and see what wind reports come in from that north eyewall region (from private homeowners, stormchasers, etc); and what type of damage occurred.

I voted a "tentative" category one...pending later data and damage analysis.

PW
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Close

#5 Postby wxman57 » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:12 pm

Claudette may have been a weak Cat 2, but those reports from Fromosa Plastics of a 95 mph wind with a gust to 104 mph may not have been true "sustained" wind. They didn't mention if the 95 mph wind lasted a full minute or not.

Oh, and Galvestonduck, if you think you saw a hurricane in Galveston today then you're sadly mistaken. Galveston reported only 47 kts sustained (51 mph). Just a weak to moderate tropical storm there. The winds at Point Comfort were almost 4 times as strong (twice the wind speed = 4 times the strength). And THAT was maybe just BARELY a Cat 2 storm.

Think about that the next time a Cat 3 or 4 storm is heading into the area.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#6 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:45 pm

As I said in my above post, "And that was up here in Galveston where she didn't make landfall" and "this duck isn't sticking around next time, especially if landfall is actually on Galveston." I know I didn't see a hurricane today. My point was that if it was that bad here, I can't imagine how bad it was to be in it. And I'd care not to see any worse.
0 likes   

Colin
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Colin » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:25 am

What I have seen in reports and recon., I believe this storm was a weak Cat. 2 at landfall. Nobody knows for sure though...but like people have been saying here, several gusts to 110+ mph were reported, and that would make it a Cat. 2, but a weak one...either a STRONG Cat. 1 or a weak Cat. 2.
0 likes   

Rainband

#8 Postby Rainband » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:27 am

I will wait and see what the experts say :wink:
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Lindaloo » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:42 am

The experts are still saying this was a CAT 1. It could have possibly been a weak CAT 2 in some areas.

Does anyone know what is going on down in Palacios?
0 likes   

therock1811
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby therock1811 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:57 am

Had to be a cat 2. Just that 97mph wind report is enough to convince me we had a weak cat 2.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Actually

#11 Postby wxman57 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:06 am

Actually, just because a storm produces a 97 mph wind doesn't make it a Cat 2. Even a storng TS can produce a 97 mph wind that is loger than a brief gust but less than the required 1 minute average. The key is whether that 97 mph wind was really sustained for a minute or more. Of course, a 97 mph wind is a 97 mph wind - it can produce A LOT of damage.

Oh, and I suggest taking a look at the Claudette post-storm wind analysis on the Hurricane Research Division's web page:

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/data_sub/wind.html

The links are there now, but the images haven't been created yet.
0 likes   

isobar
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby isobar » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:19 pm

She quickly developed into a strong cat 1, well on her way to becoming a cat 2. I personally believe BP is a more accurate gauge of a storm's strength than wind speed anyway. She bottomed out at 981 mb (cat 1 = 980+). However, damage reports lean more toward cat 2. We'll have to wait for confirmation of wind measurements.

Thanks for the link wxman57. We'll check back on that when updated.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Lindaloo » Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:58 pm

TAFBforecaster wrote:it was a 2.

How do you know? Have any info you wish to share stating it was a CAT 2?
0 likes   

kmanWX
Category 4
Category 4

#14 Postby kmanWX » Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:59 pm

Lindaloo wrote:

How do you know? Have any info you wish to share stating it was a CAT 2?
Just ignore him he is the greatone!
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Lindaloo » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:01 pm

oh LOL!! I should have known sheesh.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby GalvestonDuck » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:03 pm

Code Blue!!!!!!

AFLAC!
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#17 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:42 pm

Stormsfury wrote:Given 24-48 hours more of open water, Claudette would have possibly been a Cat. 3 due to ... compact size, excellent outflow in all directions, and a rapidly shrinking eye prior to landfall ... (that ticking time bomb)...

The NHC notes: based on recon reports, satellite imagery, and doppler radar estimates ... Claudette was likely 75 kts at landfall (86 mph) ...
Also of note: Doppler radar did record velocities of 90 kts around the time of landfall based on a discussion I read (cannot remember where).

However, I can't ignore that report at Seadrift, TX of 97 mph sustained winds with gusts to 111 mph ... if that is indeed verified, that would have to make Claudette a Cat 2...IMO...

SF

You made all my points so I will just add that I have seen enough reports(confirmed and unconfirmed or official and unofficial, however you want to say it)to convince me it was a weak CAT2 at landfall. In reference to the Palacios question, Palacios was basically shut down to outsiders by the local authorities with reports coming out that at least half of the city was damaged severely. More should be known today or tomorrow as they untighten the curfew or what ever it was.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Lindaloo » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:50 pm

My friend Susan's home was severely damaged down in Palacios. She told me that she has NEVER heard a "minimal hurricane" sound like that. She believes it was much stronger than what they are saying. She finally got through to me via her cell phone yesterday. She said the one redlight they have down there is on the ground. She also said that people are banning together to help each other out. Still no electricity.

My best friends family there also suffered water damage and they lost a vehicle. They are on their way here.
0 likes   

JetMaxx

#19 Postby JetMaxx » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:20 pm

kmanWX wrote:
Lindaloo wrote:

Great One??? I'm surprised he didn't call it a cat-5! :lol: :lol:
:lol:
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”